Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators

My pain is compounded by the fact the tyre was new in March 2023, to replace a previous tyre , same wheel, with a nail through the sidewall.....as you can see from the pic its nowhere near even started wearing 

😭

Bad luck with the puncture, Pete.  

Many years ago, I drove over a large bolt, which lifted the tyre off the ground before it pierced the tyre.  Any way,  the bolt head was proud of the tyre and every revolution it made a loud noise when it hit the road.  It took me several attempts to find it, as every time I moved the car, I stopped with the bolt on the bottom! 😆

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, welland99 said:

So it punctured the tyre with the head, not the sharp point?

Yep, probably went in off the side of the head of the bolt ... the action of the puncture / deflation bent it??, who knows...maybe it was already bent..

just shows how soft these newer generation tyres are 😭😭😭😭

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Managed to sort out the headlights on the Honda yesterday whilst the weather was dry. I did some sanding and polishing last weekend by machine but wasn't happy with the overall results and ended up damaging the lenses by creating a lot of fine scratches 😬. Re-did everything, but by hand and now looks somewhat back to new.

Polish-20230924-102115181.jpg

The Honda also got a nice wash after more than a month of neglect 👍👌.

Polish-20230924-100556362.jpg

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Today, I nearly wrapped the Coupe around an inconvenient lamp post !!

Into a roundabout,  no need to stop and give way so probably doing about 25mph, going straight ahead.

Got to the last entry onto the roundabout before I exited it and the car slid all four wheels, I automatically squeezed the throttle and the back tried to come around resulting in a huge armful of opposite lock which then flipped the back of the car a tad overstraight and getting a another steering input....it gripped immediately, missing the possibility of a lamppost inspection,  and I came off the roundabout at the correct junction. !!

Diesel, maybe, wet, certainly, just glad I wasn't on the bike 🤪....it was early morning so no one around either.

Never had that in the Coupe before.....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Today, I nearly wrapped the Coupe around an inconvenient lamp post !!

Into a roundabout,  no need to stop and give way so probably doing about 25mph, going straight ahead.

Got to the last entry onto the roundabout before I exited it and the car slid all four wheels, I automatically squeezed the throttle and the back tried to come around resulting in a huge armful of opposite lock which then flipped the back of the car a tad overstraight and getting a another steering input....it gripped immediately, missing the possibility of a lamppost inspection,  and I came off the roundabout at the correct junction. !!

Diesel, maybe, wet, certainly, just glad I wasn't on the bike 🤪....it was early morning so no one around either.

Never had that in the Coupe before.....

...sounds like a lucky escape !. Good to know you managed to catch the slide and avoid hitting it. Not only do we have to be careful about other drivers but also the condition of the road surfaces 😑.

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, PTR200S said:

the car slid all four wheels, I automatically squeezed the throttle and the back tried to come around resulting in a huge armful of opposite lock

I had a similar one a couple of years back in the Volvo but dry, hot summer day. On to a roundabout and off at the first exit, noticed a BMW in my rear view mirror coming round the roundabout a bit quick so i squeezed the loud pedal.

Back went down and started pulling well then suddenly, the back swung out to the right then gripped before i had a chance to opposite lock it so a quick twitch on the wheel and going straight again.

Meanwhile the BM driver turned pale as the back end nearly took him out! :lol:

Pretty sure that was a diseasel spill as well.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I have also had a good slide in similar circumstances on a roundabout - that time in my C240... and could actually smell diesel fuel when I went back for a check out look around. 

Did you go back to check?

• Like 1

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Did you go back to check?

Not on the same day and it's a busy roundabout on the A11 near Thetford so a bit tricky to wander around it. I did notice the tarmac was discoloured the next day in the right area so i reckon a good gallon of juggernaut-juice splashed onto the asphalt.

• Moderators

Out in the Coupe late saffy, got another twitch from the back of the Coupe,  felt like it was about to let go...

Tyres problem maybe ? Just seems very nervous recently and although I think the slide the other day was diesel related, fuel station just off roundabout,  maybe the rear tyres are the problem.......a weekend check is on the cards, suspension, bushes etc...

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, PaulS said:

Did you work out the cause of the back end twitch?

Not really just "@r$€d" , 🤣🤣🤣, around with the suspension bits...all tight...tyre treads are a bit low and beginning to feel hard too...

Need to check the records as to when I had those fitted, can't be that long ago, 🤭🤭🤭🤭,  but I have a sneaking feeling they might have been on the front of the Coupe at the start of their duty....

Of course, perhaps I am expecting too much from a twenty year old, plus, car !!.... need to adhere to the greenies 20mph.... don't forget, 20mph is sh[t£, 30mph is right.....😇😇😇

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Need to check the records as to when I had those fitted, can't be that long ago, 🤭🤭🤭🤭,  but I have a sneaking feeling they might have been on the front of the Coupe at the start of their duty....

Old tyres do go hard and lose grip Pete and i also have slightly-stronger-than-vague-memories of you saying the old front tyres had gone on the back - this is the Davanti tyres we're talking about?

In fact, the only thing old tyres grip really well are the bloody wheels when you're trying to remove them! :o

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Old tyres do go hard and lose grip Pete and i also have slightly-stronger-than-vague-memories of you saying the old front tyres had gone on the back - this is the Davanti tyres we're talking about?

In fact, the only thing old tyres grip really well are the bloody wheels when you're trying to remove them! :o

Not only are the tyres old but me as well, didn't recall  moving those Davanti from front to rear....🤣🤣🤣 I think the lack of sideways grip is now the problem,  the Davanti have always had good side grip though but not now, 6.5 years on .

I bought the Davanti in Feb 2017...then got the Blue response,  stuck them on the front and moved the Davanti to the rear...completely forgot I had to replace the Blues with Falkens due to a puncture earlier this year and the Elysion got new tyres due to punctures too !!!!

So, the Davant are old, 2017 at least and I mentioned it on a thread back in March this year..........I am definitely losing my grip as well !!!!!! 

I think the Coupe  needs a pair of new tyres but they will have to wait for some brass to come in!!  Falken probably,  move the front Falken to the rear...

• Clap Hands 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

the Davanti have always had good side grip though but not now, 6.5 years on .

If they've gone hard, the sidewalls won't flex as they should so the tread will "skate" where it would previously have gripped.

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

So, the Davant are old, 2017 at least and I mentioned it on a thread back in March this year..........I am definitely losing my grip as well !!!!!! 

Nearly 7 years old is probably past their life expectancy if you consider they probably have a 30k miles tread life, most people work on 10k miles/year so the rubber is probably only designed to stay soft for a bit over 3 years, maybe 5 at a push. Puts my 11 year old (the newest i've found so far) Pirellis into perspective and why they only grip the wheel when trying to remove them! :o

I don't remember you saying you're also losing your grip - i probably am as well in that case! :P

2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

I think the Coupe  needs a pair of new tyres but they will have to wait for some brass to come in!!  Falken probably,  move the front Falken to the rear...

Falken are good tyres, had them on my Sterling and they gripped like the proverbial on a blanket. I would have gone for them on the Jag but the cost was £STUPID so i opted for Maxxis instead. I'll let you know how they go once i've done all 4 of them, currently revamping my tyre changer and improving it, ran into a few design malfunctions so it's taken a lot longer than it should have done but it's functioning now.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I've recently swapped some 2017 Falken Zeix 914 on the back of the Legend for a new set of Falkens Zeix, it has completly cured the car of a worrying tendency to slide the back of the car out in wet conditions.

Sumimoto make Falken and Dunlop so they are always an option, my brother has a set on the back of his A5 and he's been very happy with them.

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 10/13/2023 at 5:51 PM, Cryistic said:

I've recently swapped some 2017 Falken Zeix 914 on the back of the Legend for a new set of Falkens Zeix, it has completly cured the car of a worrying tendency to slide the back of the car out in wet conditions.

Looks like you had the same problem...is this indicative of the softer tyre walls that all modern tyres seem to have ??

Never used to get this problem after a just a few years !!! Wonder if my warranty covers it ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

I spent some time this afternoon removing an 11 year old Pirelli P6000 from a rim, incredibly stiff and it fought me all the way!

Worryingly though, as it was flexing (eventually!) to come off, i noticed big cracks appearing in the sidewall! :o

I dread to think what could have happened on the car if those same cracks had appeared!

• Sad 2

• Founding Member
On 10/14/2023 at 8:46 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

an 11 year old Pirelli P6000 from a rim

Wonder how many folk have older tyres with these potential problems.  Caravans and trailers quickly come to mind, and many low low mileage cars....

• Like 2

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Wonder how many folk have older tyres with these potential problems.  Caravans and trailers quickly come to mind, and many low low mileage cars....

My coupe not good at six years,  don't know where time has gone 😭😭😭

Trailers and caravan for sure, ...umm, my trailer tyres are about 15 🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1