Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, PaulS said:

does the nail position count as sidewall damage or not?

Apparently it does,,,new tyre required.

For now I have filled it with foam after taking nail out...lasted 100 miles today....technically its temporary though. 

If it is down overnight I will have to get new tyre  😱😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PaulS said:

does the nail position count as sidewall damage or not?

Sadly, yes. Most tyre companies got to ~10% of the width of the tyre in from the edge just to cover their collective arse. It's also a very vulnerable area because there is no steel reinforcement and it hasn't got the sidewall structure to strengthen it so right on the shoulder is dodgy at best.

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

I know that good old EuroCar Parts and GSF have a sale on every day, however, I do think they are slimming down some of their stock at the moment, and it looks like there's a few bargains to be had.

Brake discs £14.78 FOR A PAIR  !!  Crosland Fuel Filter £1.49  Bosch Wiper Blade set £5.49. There's bargains out there if you look. If you want full premium brands, then maybe look elsewhere, but they're got to be worth entering in your Reg and taking a look!! This is on ECP , but I also found some bargains on GSF as well....rear drop links    LH £0.43p  RH £14.46 (funny that, especially as I need a pair).

No, I don't work for them.

I also got some spares in for the StreetKa, similar bargains to be had.

Let's here about any others!!! Always up for a bargain, and I have now started to build up a little stock for these older cars.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I was looking at the GSF site the other day,  for a left front drop link to replace the current one which I suspect has a bit of play in it.   £15.76 which is a good price but I need to spend 25 to get delivery 🤣

Can't find those disks though, on ECP , 30 quid for my coupe..and that looks to be each ..they would be on the shelf for a while as mine are still good !!

Definitely some bargains to be had out there....presuming they are ACTUALLY for rhe Coupe as most of us will testify getting the wrongly supplied parts in the past 😱 from the likes of ECP. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Today I got new boots for the front and enjoyed a REALLY quiet drive home !!!

Amazing the difference,  the ones that came off were Dunlop Sport Blu Response rated at 71db , 3mm tread left too 😭.  The Falken replacements are rated at 68db.....

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Site Subscriber’s
14 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

I was looking at the GSF site the other day,  for a left front drop link to replace the current one which I suspect has a bit of play in it.   £15.76 which is a good price but I need to spend 25 to get delivery 🤣

Can't find those disks though, on ECP , 30 quid for my coupe..and that looks to be each ..they would be on the shelf for a while as mine are still good !!

Definitely some bargains to be had out there....presuming they are ACTUALLY for rhe Coupe as most of us will testify getting the wrongly supplied parts in the past 😱 from the likes of ECP. 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/pagid-brake-disc-104601818

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Chrismas said:

fill your boots. Don't think I've EVER paid £7 for a brake disc. Check out the filters too, although I didn't bother with the pollen filter, as it didn't look right. 

I have paid about 20 quid a pair in the past but less than 15 quid a pair is 1970's prices 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Air filter is out of stock, the pollen filter is definitely wrong, it's two actually ,, wonder what I can fit this one to at £1.39 !!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Today I got new boots for the front and enjoyed a REALLY quiet drive home !!!

Amazing the difference,  the ones that came off were Dunlop Sport Blu Response rated at 71db , 3mm tread left too 😭.  The Falken replacements are rated at 68db.....

That's a 3dB drop or half the volume level Pete, bet you thought you'd gone deaf on the way home! :P

Also the older tyres will have gone hard and they are inherently more noisy when they're harder.

I had Falken Ziex ZE-914 on the Sterling, very good tyres and quiet too.

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

That's a 3dB drop or half the volume level Pete, bet you thought you'd gone deaf on the way home! :P

Also the older tyres will have gone hard and they are inherently more noisy when they're harder.

I had Falken Ziex ZE-914 on the Sterling, very good tyres and quiet too.

Pardon, eh? , what ? Just a mo, need to turn up the volume !!!

I was surprised as the Elysion didn't seem to be that big of a change , volume wise, when I put Falkens on that but the original tyres were not Blu Response either so may have been 69 or 70db.

Anyway, once the newness has worn off maybe won't be quite as good but for now I will take it !!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The Coupe is still performing an excellent service as the daily, with a clean pass on the mot a couple of weeks back its good for another year, hopefully without too much drama.

So today it got its weekly fluid check, all good and yet another bath, which then prompted the rain to start, bugger !!! Just a light coating whilst I am trying to get some wax on !

It's been a nice week with plenty of sunshine and very little wind, perfect for those "window down" cruises again !!

With a good day in prospect tomorrow a visit a to a local car meet is definitely on the cards 

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Site Subscriber’s

Checked the plugs today. I changed them about 3 years ago, (Bosch, the type with the 4 way earth/ground electrodes). Just thought I'd check them today, only done about 5,000 miles in them, and they were all loose. One of the back ones was very loose. There's no way I would have not tightened them at the time. Is this a known 'thing' or did I just have a senior moment at the time? It might explain a little recent rough idling, and since tightening, it's running really well.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Chrismas said:

Checked the plugs today. I changed them about 3 years ago, (Bosch, the type with the 4 way earth/ground electrodes). Just thought I'd check them today, only done about 5,000 miles in them, and they were all loose.

Bosch plugs aren't great TBH, very likely they came loose by themselves, throw them away and fit NGK or Denso 👍

• Site Subscriber’s
48 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Bosch plugs aren't great TBH, very likely they came loose by themselves, throw them away and fit NGK or Denso 👍

Might just do that. Despite the low mileage, they were all looking like the porcelain was affected by heat, all had brown heat marks on them. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Those brown heat marks are usually a sign of a poor seal between metal and porcelain allowing blow-by from the combustion chamber. It builds up into carbon and allows tracking of the spark which causes misfires.

Stu is more generous than me in his description of Bosch plugs and much more polite - scheissen Zündkerzen fits though! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Site Subscriber’s
12 hours ago, hughezee said:

I have a new set of standard NGKs fitted to the former Project Ruby, just cover the cost of postage & packaging and they're yours.👍

Thanks Stu, PM me the cost and I will have them off you gladly! 

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
12 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Those brown heat marks are usually a sign of a poor seal between metal and porcelain allowing blow-by from the combustion chamber. It builds up into carbon and allows tracking of the spark which causes misfires.

Stu is more generous than me in his description of Bosch plugs and much more polite - scheissen Zündkerzen fits though! :P

Makes sense. I think the quality of Bosch generally is not what it once was.

• Clap Hands 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Chrismas said:

I think the quality of Bosch generally is not what it once was.

It's certainly gone downhill IMHO over the past 30 years. On my old Volvo, most things were Bosch and i had a few bits fail due to age (30+ years old at the time so no great problem, just an inconvenience) and often, i replaced with versions from a later model. These were, at newest, about 20 years old at the time so i'd expect about a 10 year lifepsan in my ownership. About 2/3 of those items failed in fairly short order so i'd say between 1988 and 1995-98, the quality had already dropped considerably. With the advent of allegedly sealed units for engines and gearboxes and an anticipated lifetime of 100k miles/10 years, most electrical/electronic parts were engineered to last only a little longer.

Not exactly eco-friendly, either from a new car or recycling used parts point of view.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

5B776818-DC7A-4364-965A-F11DCBFB74C1.thumb.jpeg.d71493c5b3561b2e22c81938459d9255.jpeg

B0E81914-F3C0-491D-AACB-DEB898F95FAB.thumb.jpeg.11e302d5c0e916c860dfc644c9b633cb.jpeg

23656842-3C92-4DD9-8611-0BF111156898.thumb.jpeg.8eab5212d0e40b1df7845a9e5c9743d7.jpegC0751A2D-1DBF-4537-A4E8-F7CCBE3B6188.thumb.jpeg.69a5177addc5a30b1134211b162c7fa6.jpeg

I know I mentioned this on the WhatsApp group today but wanted to post it on the forum as well.

Finally got round to washing and waxing the coupe today after 2 months! I deep cleaned and waxed the wheels a couple of days ago along with the engine bay. 

God I love this car!!!!! Effing ULEZ and Khan is doing my nut in……the thought of selling breaks my heart! 

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 2

• Founding Member

I also invested in a cordless power wash……absolutely love it! Perfect for someone that lives in a flat. 6 buckets of water and can rinse, snow foam, rinse, 2 bucket wash and last rinse and still some water left. Obviously no where near as powerful as a proper jet wash but this is perfect for what I need to achieve. 

• Like 2