Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

Just as well you looked and found it.  Not that many of us would have even looked unless there was some sort of wet patch underneath.... 

A saluatory warning to us all I think.  Much better to spend a hour at home sorting it out than suffer the consequences and aggro of a roadside breakdown somewhere inconvenient at a very inconvenient time - bound to be at night in a dark place when it is raining!!

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Yesterday , after a full blown brake failure , (see the brake pedal thread) I dismantled the master cylinder to find nothing wrong, all four wheels off and caliper plus visible pipe checks revealed nothing.

Today, the master cylinder goes back on and a lift on the hydraulic ramps, hopefully, will give me access to the front to rear, brake lines...got to be looking for a pipe blowout now.

• Sad 2

• Moderators

Spent the morning cleaning up the underside of the Coupe at the back. Bilt Hamber UC deployed!!!

Cut the holed brake pipe back to a suitable point ready to install the new bit of pipe.... Will need about 3 feet but had to order 25 feet of a roll !   Still, it can be used as fuel pipe too so won't go amiss.

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

I swapped over to my winter wheels & tyres today (Nokian WR4 tyres) - and whilst doiing so, I Lanoguarded the inside of both sills and a bit of underseal around a couple of bits that were looking a bit rusty...

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, PaulS said:

I swapped over to my winter wheels & tyres today (Nokian WR4 tyres) - and whilst doiing so, I Lanoguarded the inside of both sills and a bit of underseal around a couple of bits that were looking a bit rusty...

On the Coupe, what wheels are you using ? 

I keep seeing this Lanogaurd stuff advertised , what do you think of it ??

• Like 1

• Founding Member
58 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

On the Coupe, what wheels are you using ?

The original Honda Coupe 5 spoke 16" wheels.  I did look for some steel Honda 16" wheels but did not see any for sale - hence as my original wheels were ready for a refurb, I demoted them to winter wheels and got another set for summer wheels (Primacy 4 summer tyres on them)

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

I keep seeing this Lanogaurd stuff advertised , what do you think of it ??

Like you I saw reviews, naturally all very positive.  I saw a good demo of it at the NEC classics show last weekend and so secumbed.... It is relatively see through when used, like a thinned Waxoil and relatively runny to apply, and so sprays (own sprayer included in the kit) quite easily but somehow does not drip unless one overdoes it in any particular space.  Lets see how well it lasts.  I have not done that much of the underneath as yet as it started raining on me!

• Like 3

• Founding Member

From what I understand it's a yearly application as it will wash off over time from what I've read, this is balance by the fact it's easy to apply and minimal masking is needed.

I think I still would prefer some Bilt Hambler Dynax in box sections or hard to access places but Lanoguard seems to be an interesting option in other areas.

• Like 3

I changed the engine oil and filter on my coupe yesterday.  Whilst underneath, I noticed a bit of oil seepage from behind the plastic cover that is over the timing belt.  This was quite low down on the rear side of the cover and could not be seen from above.  

From where could this oil be coming? Crank shaft oil seal?

• Like 2

• Moderators

This stuff has popped up on my radar many time recently, all with good reports :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354048065777

Probably another variation on a theme but apparently very easy to apply, has capilliary action to creep into the tiniest joins between panels and so on. One of the posts where it came up basically said whenever the poster had something to do on the car, that stuff went with him and while everything was stripped down, it all got a coating and anywhere nearby. I know a lot of us tend to paint and/or protect many things while doing other jobs but his method of just douse the entire area with wax seems a good "coverall philosophy".

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I seem to remember that Supertrol was a development of Dinitrol - no harm in using it like described.  Just be careful that it does not get onto brake surfaces etc...

The Lanoguard is not readily miscible with water (lanolin is supposed to be its base material) but any hard spray (such as hurtling through puddles & standing water) is indeed likely to wash it off to some extent. Must admit I used Glue & Tar remover to clean the application gun after using the Lanoguard as I both have that to hand and the demo guy said fairy liquid type things took some effort to cut through Lanoguard.

• Like 2

• Moderators

In the absence of Lanoguard 🤣🤣  the Coupe got more Bilt Hamber applied today along with the new brake pipe now cut to length and inserted where the sun don't shine round the chassis and over the tank side to poke out under the wheel arch. Unfortunately the unions I have are the wrong type so need to get some tomorrow in short metric versions.

20221119-153656.jpg

Another day off the road 😭😭, ah, well, saving fuel I guess 🤔🤫🙄🙄

• Like 2

• Moderators

On with the brake lines today, got metric unions....no problem for the jointing of the new pipe but the metric male union will not screw into the Honda connection to the flexible pipe.....as the car was built in the states did they use UNF ???

Will salvage the union off the old pipe but really odd !!!

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 8:18 PM, PaulS said:

Which entry route did you use to get lanoguard into the sills? Am i correct in thinking there are a couple of rubber plugs in the bottom of the sills? Or I may be thinking of one of my other cars.

• Like 2