Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Legend Projects or Purchase Suggestions "LINKS”

hughezee

• Moderators

Looks great but i'd like to know how recent those photos are - no sign of an LPG filler unless it's well hidden.

There are 9 things i would lose ASAP if i bought it - the 8 airbags and the Space-Saver spare wheel. Other than that, i'd definitely have it if i had the money! ;):D

• Haha 2

• Moderators
On 10/5/2017 at 11:41 AM, mickey murphy said:

Hi, what sort of issues did u have with your coupe. Was going to look at this one. 

Did you go an look at it , then?

Its just come up again, for sale. Up a few miles and down a few hundred quid

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Legend-Coupe/232583260278?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49479%26meid%3Dc5f75f32c2ef4eefbb5d1fdf17427570%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D282758667297&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

• Founding Member

That red Legend coupe is lovely.  However, I think it’s time for me to have a newer car as the there are no 2005 Legends left on planet Earth.  I think I may plump for a 2007/8 Legend, screw the road tax.  Then again, there are some mint older Legends around.  Decisions Decisions. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators

Depends if you want a big jump in the reg plate Geoff, there are still some nice pre-2001 Legends around with sensible mileages on.

The bonus of being pre-2001 is two-fold - cheaper road tax and no need for "Type Approved" catalytic converters should you ever need a replacement cat. Normal replacement cat = £, Type Approved cat = £££££. Normal cats have a reasonable lifetime and don't cost in limb proportions, Type Approved shold have a reasonable lifetime but the cynic in me thinks they probably have a built in lifespan so as to need replacing periodically.

Still got most of the toys on the older Legends, depends what you want and what you're prepared to pay for i suppose. ;):D

• Founding Member

Hmmm, food for thought Dave.  I have alerts set up on Auto Trader, Ebay etc so let’s see what’s around when I am properly looking.  There was a Legend for sale literally a mile up the road at a dealer, it was lovely inside but the grille was rough and the lights were too.  So I walked away.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

Wise move Geoff! I know you're not so technically minded as Stu or me but you still know enough about Hondas to know when it looks, sounds, feels, smells and goes right - if there's something that seems wrong and it's something that could be major, walk away.

Of course if you have a reasonably good idea it's a minor (but not necessarily insignificant) point, you could use it as a bargaining point and haggle the bejesus out of them for a better deal.

I'm sure if you asked Stu nicely he'd give you a second opinion on a prospective purchase and "accidentally on purpose" artificially inflate the price to rectify any problems to give you a bit more leverage in the haggling stakes. ;):D

• Like 1

• Founding Member
4 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Wise move Geoff! I know you're not so technically minded as Stu or me but you still know enough about Hondas to know when it looks, sounds, feels, smells and goes right - if there's something that seems wrong and it's something that could be major, walk away.

Of course if you have a reasonably good idea it's a minor (but not necessarily insignificant) point, you could use it as a bargaining point and haggle the bejesus out of them for a better deal.

I'm sure if you asked Stu nicely he'd give you a second opinion on a prospective purchase and "accidentally on purpose" artificially inflate the price to rectify any problems to give you a bit more leverage in the haggling stakes. ;):D

Stu’s given me the things to look for, high mileage examples should be fine, although I’m paranoid about cam belts, oil and ATF changes.  

STUPID QUESTION ALERT

If it’s been LPG converted does that affect the tax?

Thanks.....I’ll go and stand in the corner with a D hat on.  

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

STUPID QUESTION ALERT

Thanks.....I’ll go and stand in the corner with a D hat on.  

I looked into this a while back and as I understand, from the DVLA, it the taxation will stay the same as when it was first issued at the point of registration.....

However, if the engine is changed say from under 1590cc to above that point for pre 2000 (?) stuff then they WILL sting you !! 

On the basis that every time I talk to the DVLA they change their minds depending on whom answers the phone I resolved never to talk to the DVLA again unless pressed...............:rolleyes:

Don't tell them your name, Pike.....

• Haha 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

STUPID QUESTION ALERT

Thanks.....I’ll go and stand in the corner with a D hat on

That's not a stupid question at all Geoff! There was a time when the government gave tax (as in road tax) incentives to convert to LPG but how long that lasted (or indeed if it ever happened in real life) i don't know.

I do know if it's registered as a dual-fuel vehicle you don't have to pay the full Indigestion Charge in London and soon to be other places.

Given that LPG cars don't throw out all the harmful NOx emissions then IMHO they should be tax-free but sadly the government think different. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Depends on the insurer Pete - most these days are happy enough if you declare the conversion, others will insist on the install certificate. However in my experience, the ones that have official install certificates are the most dangerous.

Obviously things like the security of the pipes etc and if visible, the tank are inspected and of course the emissions. One nice little thing is the cat can be legally removed as part of the conversion............ ;):D:D:D

• Thanks 1

• Founding Member

I’m no petrochemical scientist, surely if the engine is running on gas then it’s  a whole lot cleaner than petrol (definitely cleaner than nasty diesel).  So...as car tax is based on emissions, surely the tax should be cheaper?  

Electric cars.  Am I right too in thinking that the cost of actually making them far outweighs any cost benefits?  The new Tesla cars are nice and seeing a lot more of them these days.  Just don’t engage the auto pilot, eh. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

’m no petrochemical scientist, surely if the engine is running on gas then it’s  a whole lot cleaner than petrol (definitely cleaner than nasty diesel).  So...as car tax is based on emissions, surely the tax should be cheaper?

My opinion exactly Geoff - perhaps they are on factory conversions but given that about 99% of all new cars sold (and made!) are diseasel these days maybe there isn't the numbers necessary to make the government look into it. Also it was the government (against all good advice 30+ years ago) that decided diesels would be marketed as "green" because they do more mpg but ignored the health risks they were warned about. Now every other person i meet has some breathing difficulty or other, usually asthma but when i was just a puppy, asthma was as rare as honest politicians and so were other respiratory problems unless you were very old and had something as a result of WW II, asbestosis or something along those lines.

1 hour ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

Electric cars.  Am I right too in thinking that the cost of actually making them far outweighs any cost benefits?  The new Tesla cars are nice and seeing a lot more of them these days.  Just don’t engage the auto pilot, eh. ;)

I'm still not convinced about electric cars. Purely on a practical level, i don't think the National grid would cope, certainly at the moment. Secondly they will cause all kinds of traffic jams as they suddenly have to slow down on motorways to be able to complete their journey without running out of power before they reach the nearest charging point.

Thirdly, we still produce electricity in fossil-fuel-powered and nuclear powered power stations. I worked it out one day on basic principles of transformer efficiencies etc that to get 1kW of power into the battery, something like 3kW of power would have to be used in a power station. In a fossil fuel station that would be a lot of emissions!

Also bear in mind, generally speaking, electric motors are only 80% efficient so for every 1kW they use, they only produce 800W or 0.8kW of power. Factor that into the original thing of 3kW of power/emissions at the power station then think about the existing cars. Even if the internal combustion egnine is only 50% efficient, that means for every 4kW of fossil power they consume, they produce 2kW - much better than 0.8kW output/1kW use in the electric car!

In other words, the way i see it, if electric cars are charged from fossil powered generating stations, the probability exists that they will be responsible for five times as much emissions as a comparable petrol car.

You're right though, the cost of the batteries alone in electric cars outweighs the savings and with my theory about the emissions etc above, unless they do something quickly to make electric cars much more efficient and emissions friendly then their time will be short lived. ;):D

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Nice car but a smidge overpriced? The aftermarket wheels don't help, especially with Chinese Ditchfinders on! Also most people looking for a Honda Legend Coupé want one for the smooth ride and not one that lives in the weeds decapitating ants instead of a normal ride height.

Could be what's putting a lot of people off. ;):D

• The title was changed to Honda Legend Projects or Purchase Suggestions "LINKS”
  • 3 months later...
  • Moderators

I'm not sure whether to put this in here with the other Legend/827 Project suggestions or "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly car adverts" thread.

As i can't think of the exact title of that one and can't find it easily, here goes :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-LPG-conversion-which-is-in-a-Rover-827/142801961992?hash=item213fa90408:g:naoAAOSwRNRbAWUT

s-l1600.jpg

It's a bit "Mad Max meets Cowley" and given that in the 70s BL as they were then developed LPG versions of the Allegro and i think Maxi, it's possible this was a factory LPG test-mule. Looking at the various bits on it, like Mk1 leather seats (all 4 electric), the Mk1 alloys, Mk1 expansion tank, Atlantic Blue carpet (Oooohhhh, where have i seen that before? :lol: ) again from a Mk1 and the strange front and rear end treatments, to say nothing of the lurid yellow paint job and peculiar "pin stripe", lack of air-con despite the ATC control pack either someone has gone to town on the modifications or it was factory done to disguise it.

The other thing is it's an R reg - so either it sat round in a showroom for a year or two (registered 1/1/97) or like the other post-96 827 Sterling i know of (a Vreg car, ex-factory mule with a lot of odd kit on it including a Mk1 bonnet!) was sold off by the factory once it ceased to be useful.

It's not had an MoT since Feb 2011 when the last one ran out, looks like vegetation is growing through the drivers footwell so either a very brave resto or a parts car.

Posted more for interest than anything else. ;):D

• Confused 2

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators
13 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Drivers door looks odd? 🤪

Looks like three dents in that ????? edit, now I look on the pc rather than tablet I think you are right Stu, wheel reflection off the other car...

Wonder if the mainstream insurers will give it the ok as it is an import??

I know some insurers won't even quote new imports but this is already registered on the system.....so maybe ok? 

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Drivers door looks odd? 🤪

Looks like a reflection to me buddy, especially as the other driver's door pic in the listing looks ok...

3 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Wonder if the mainstream insurers will give it the ok as it is an import??

Think that's the main issue why I struggled to shift the Odessey and still trying with the Integra. 😕

• Like 3

• Moderators

This is what i mean Stu :

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Both drivers side doors look a different colour and finish to me compared to the rest of the car, particularly the drivers door. For comparison, the passenger side looks the same all over :

s-l1600.jpg

Even taking into account reflections, shadows etc, the drivers side looks odd. Could simply be door alignment causing a slightly diferent angle of incidence and reflecting the light differently but i've just noticed the front bumper looks slightly different as well.

Would be enough to put me off even if i had the money to think about buying this! ;):D

• Haha 1