Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998-2002 Accord Coupe Owners Reviews & Feedback

Bluejmc2005

• Founding Member

I may be wrong but I’m sure the Police use Auto boxes for their pursuit vehicles as they’re quicker and more practical which makes sense as the last thing you need chasing some criminal through a housing estate or on the M6 is having to manually change gears, far better just to floor it and let the ECU change for you?  

• Like 3

• Moderators

I know back in the late 80s when the first 827s/Legends were current, the Met had a fleet of 827s, all auto. I know a serving Met officer who just happens to own one of the 827s they drove on active service best part of 30 years ago, the Met sold it off eventually, a tv production company bought it and used it in "The Bill" and now said officer has bought it from the person they sold it to.

Direct quote from them about using the auto box - "We sit up on the "piggy perch" and when we see someone, into Drive and floor it - a second later you're at warp speed".

Even back then they preferred autos for that very reason, still do apparently and before the 800s, the SD1s were mainly auto as well. ;):D

• Like 4

• The topic was unpinned
  • 3 months later...

Seeing as im new I thought I would kick this topic off again! I love my Coupe, people stop and stare, stop me at petrol stations to tell me how nice it is.. Many think it's a Prelude but it's good to have a car people want to talk to you about. As for the auto box, I find it very good under kickdown, I have even found a little nack of double tap kickdown to get into vtec.. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Glad you're enjoying it Dean - i find similar with people stopping and talking etc and mine is a wee bit different to yours!

When i had my last Accord Coupé about 12-15 years ago, it was about 8-9 years old at the time and even then people would stop, ask etc and many thought that was a Prelude as well but in fairness it looked more like the Prelude of similar years than your gen of Coupé does.

None of mine have had VTEC so the double-tap does nothing on mine. ;):D

• 6 months later...

So I've had my V6 Coupe since March and plan to keep her as long as possible.. I do a lot of driving on different roads and speeds and find my car feels at its happiest at around 70mph.. Seems to be quiet, smooth and takes the bumps well, doesn't seem too happy at lower speeds... Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way??

• Like 3

• Moderators

My Coupe feels smooth at all speeds but I have the standard suspension (pogo sticks ! 😄 ) both spring and shocks...and its only got 86k under its belt.

If its still standard I would be checking the bushes all round, see if they have gone hard or cracked.. of course checking the shocks for good compliance is a reasonable move too... maybe you have a couple of shot shocks.... springs ok? not broken?

• Like 1

My 20 year old Coupe has done 114,000 miles and is smooth and willing at all speeds. Suspension is original except this summer I treated it to new anti roll bushes all round which has restored the silence at lower speeds. I think I understand where you are coming from about 70 mph, they are long legged vehicles and start to come in to their own at higher speeds. Tut tut Officer ! 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Jon said:

My 20 year old Coupe has done 114,000 miles and is smooth and willing at all speeds. Suspension is original except this summer I treated it to new anti roll bushes all round which has restored the silence at lower speeds. I think I understand where you are coming from about 70 mph, they are long legged vehicles and start to come in to their own at higher speeds. Tut tut Officer ! 

They drive so well for their age 😃

• Like 4

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Mine has done a mere 51k, its on lowering springs no idea what brand and 18" wheels which probably accounts for most of it

Yep, lowered springs, standard shocks ?   joggly at low speeds and on 18 inch wheels with low profile tyres?? 45 , 40 ?

You have your answer !

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Jon said:

I think I understand where you are coming from about 70 mph, they are long legged vehicles and start to come in to their own at higher speeds. Tut tut Officer ! 

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Jon. Like many cars designed as being a "mile mincher" they tend to be a bit jittery until you're up to a decent cruisng speed then really come into their own. ;):D

• Like 1

Thanks Dave

I never fail to be impressed by the ease that these rare beauties gobble up the miles and simply can't understand why they didn't get the recognition (in this country) that they deserve.

I recently did Harrogate and back, completely stress free, in a day.  On that occasion my passenger was in disbelief that the car was naturally aspirated.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I think a lot ofit is people are obsessed with hatchbacks Jon, as such saloons and coupes were unfairly overlooked by many. Simple truth is, the more openings (doors) you have in a bodyshell, the more it will flex. This makes for a more comfortable ride through towns but less predictable handling on the open road, conversely the stiffer coupe bodyshell can feel twitchy on uneven, low speed surfaces like urban roads but just settle nicely on the open road.

Likewise with the turbo assumption - because we've been taken down the road of "turbo is better" for quite some time now, people don't realise the real truth - there ain't no replacement for displacement! ;):D

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 1998-2002 Accord Coupe Owners Reviews & Feedback
  • The topic was featured
  • This topic was pinned and featured
  • Moderators

These cars do "flow" so well, I like the pootle along affect, lulls passengers into a false sense of security...... then hit the loud pedal, yeehaa, !! Passenger pressed into seat nicely !!😜 

On that note, a couple of gratuitous pics of Greenie after a bath today, water still dripping off, (calendar material, missus !)........ I now need to detar the lower body before I attempt any waxing so for now that's it !

Looking forward to some MORE driving pleasure again this year.....once Greenie has had the MoT done in next couple weeks.😲

Don't they look so good , a stunning car even in todays terms, especially against the SUV crowd.😥

Couple-wash-3-Dec-18.jpg

Couple-wash-Dec-18.jpg

Couple-wash-2-Dec-18.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DeanoCoupe said:

which reminds me I still have the original wheels in the shed😊

Sorry Deano I read that totally wrong 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Don't they look so good , a stunning car even in todays terms, especially against the SUV crowd.😥

Looks a minter Pete, so glad you are looking after it 😊 its a credit to you as well as the other motors in your fleet 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to 98-02 Honda Accord Coupe, Why We Love Them & The Spirit of Driving
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Moderators

Just come back from a 30 mile drive in the Coupe.

It feels great to be back in it again despite one or two niggles...light on clock has been out forever!!! Have not managed to do a couple of paint jobs or fit my spoiler but, hey, no big deal.

Mot due next month being the only blip on the horizon.

These cars can test your patience particularly with lack of parts but what a great drive, comfy, relatively cheap to insure, big boot, four seats, what's not to like ? 

V6 not that economical unless driven like miss daisy but on the basis the cars cost nothing to buy and don't depreciate like a brick falling down a well, no problem !!

I love my Coupe !!!!!

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 1

On 12/5/2019 at 1:34 PM, PTR200S said:

Just come back from a 30 mile drive in the Coupe.

It feels great to be back in it again despite one or two niggles...light on clock has been out forever!!! Have not managed to do a couple of paint jobs or fit my spoiler but, hey, no big deal.

Mot due next month being the only blip on the horizon.

These cars can test your patience particularly with lack of parts but what a great drive, comfy, relatively cheap to insure, big boot, four seats, what's not to like ? 

V6 not that economical unless driven like miss daisy but on the basis the cars cost nothing to buy and don't depreciate like a brick falling down a well, no problem !!

I love my Coupe !!!!!

Have to agree my ownership to date has not been "easy" but the car is so capable and a bit of an all rounder apart from MPG 🤣

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Have to agree my ownership to date has not been "easy" but the car is so capable and a bit of an all rounder apart from MPG 🤣

I don't think any vehicle ownership is easy, its just that some ownership is harder (more difficult, maybe, is a better phrase) than others !!

The good news is you are on the up curve now with all your jobs complete (?) so you can go out and enjoy,,, hang the mpg ! 😁 

Well done for persevering, these cars are definitely worth it ! 

• Like 4