Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998-2002 Accord Coupe Owners Reviews & Feedback

Bluejmc2005

• Moderators

Until that is some intellectual bankrupt tries to overtake me while i'm waiting at a red traffic light! I moved over to allow him to reverse back in behind me but no, he decided he was going the other side of the lights making it hard for the oncoming traffic!

GRRRRRRRR!!!!! :angry:

To make matters worse he was driving a ................................................

....................................................Honda Accord 2.0iES saloon of 52 plate vintage! :o:o:angry::rolleyes::blink:

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Steve in Ireland said:

Nice post.  This is exactly why I am contemplating spending £2000 for a gearbox rebuild on a car that only cost me 1200 quid.

I would spend that in heartbeat on mine, I work on lots of other Honda's and other marques and its the only car that ticks all my boxes and that's out of all the other cars I've owned as well, well maybe a Odyssey prestige ;)

• Like 1

I would not contemplate spending more than I bought a car for on repairs, particularly within a few days and a few hundred miles of purchase...but that's exactly what I'm about to do. Why? Because the Honda is special. If I total up what I might spend over next few months I think it will still come to less than 2K including purchase of car, and frankly, I couldn't buy another car for 2K that ticks all my boxes. The lazy effortless power, the indignant yowl when you put your foot down, the driving position, the looks and the rarity would cost thousands more if my car had a different badge. Badge...snobbery...keeps these gems a cheap secret.

I have always felt Honda to be modern equivalent of old Lancias. Exquisitely engineered, understated and driver focussed with jewel like n/a engines. So I guess my accord is Honda's Aurelia b20 coupe...a dream car of mine!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It is 12 months today since I saw my purple v6 on the trader for £500. I've covered 12,000 miles in that time and it has only cost me an oil and filter change, gear box oil change, set of tyres and a rear brake calliper never let me down. Allowing for the trade in on my old civic coup, it cost £200. Still running and looking like new with 170k on the clock.

(must get some pics of red up soon with her type r red badge).

P9120243_zpsewy1szjf.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

My wife's friend dropped her car off this afternoon to have a new starter fitted, anyway I picked up the starter in the honda, as I was getting out of the car a courier driver pulled up at the end of my drive said,

"Like your Accord mate do you want to sell it?"

After telling him its not for sale I mentioned this site to him told him there are some that come up for sale occasionally. Made me feel proud of the old girl.

• Like 5
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

Great stuff.  Spookily, all this week I have been giving a colleague a lift in to work, she only lives literally a quarter of a mile away.  Anyway, I was picking her up Wednesday moring and my low fuel light came on so I thought I'd better pop a tenner in on the way into town which will last me until I can get to a Shell garage.  So I picked her up and drove to the local Gulf garage, she started waving at the cashier as we pulled up but he didn't see her.  So I popped in a tenners worth and went to pay.  I mentioned to the cashier that Claire was waving at him as we pulled up to which he said..."I didn't notice as I was too busy admiring your car".  Made my day.  :wub:

• Like 5

• Founding Member
On 6/3/2016 at 4:11 PM, hughezee said:

old girl, pin feathers mate ^_^ mature ageing like a fine wine getting better every year, especially comparing her to Honda's latest offerings in the UK :rolleyes:

Yes, I do agree. The latest offerings are shameful compared with our coupes. Think we need to start an USA or Japan import fund :D

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • Founding Member

Agreed ^^^^^  As Dave mentioned on another thread, there are 2 types of coupe out there.

1. Scrappers or soon-to-be scrappers.  These are the cars that are part-exchanged and have gone through a load of owners.  Usually thrashed and with no maintenance (or very little), the gearbox starts slipping and all they see are massive bills for a new 'box.  So it's sold on...again and again.  Eventually the gearbox dies, the cam belt snaps or some other expensive problem pops up and then it's listed on fleabay for parts.  Which is good for the rest of us, in a way.
  2. Minters.  People who look after their coupes and spare no expense in maintaining them as they intend to drive them and keep them running.  As I've mentioned elsewhere, mine flew through the MOT with no advisories because 1)  Stu is the only one that lifts the bonnet, he knows our coupes inside out and 2)  I am willing to spend the money on preventative maintenance as directed by Stu.  I don't need to change the oil every six months but I know it helps to keep it running like a Rolex.  I don't need to spend money on new wheels when the old ones are suffice, but I want to improve the look of my coupe.  Things like that.

One of life's pleasures (in the summer) is cleaning your coupe, waxing it, vacuuming it and then going for a blast down a country lane.  Shades on.  B)

• Like 4

Coming down the multi-storey at Brighton Marina recently, I noticed that below in the Asda car park there was a Honda meet - all very Fast and Furious, with big wheels, bodykits, massive exhausts, open bonnets etc. etc.  Mostly Accord saloons and old Civics, though I spotted a solitary Legend.  So I decided to take a little detour so I could burble past them and show off my HAC, even though it needed a clean.  I put the window down, expecting to hear 'Don't see many of those' or 'I think it's a V6', but I barely got a glance.  I guess my ride just isn't pimped enough. 

• Like 2