Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998-2002 Accord Coupe Owners Reviews & Feedback

Bluejmc2005

Hi all,

Thought i'd share some random thioughts about my fist 2 weeks of ownership (introduced myself in correct place few weeks back). Should say i am a serial car changer, had about 22 different cars in the last 20 years but this is my first Honda. usual favs are E39, E36/46 BMW's, Saabs and unloved MG's (ZT is a great car really with the right engine..)

First off - what a car! lovely driving position, great power delivery, what a steal! The auto box is a little hesitatnt, and i'd love a 5th gear, but thats about it. Thats all I can complain about! other than car specifics..

I need to sort my stereo out (thanks to Hughezee I have some speakers for the price of postage, just need to fit them), the wipers need changing, strange left suspension noise that will need sorting at some point, I want to look into getting rid of the silver door trim (I think it ages the car) and I think a private plate to hide age would be good too. I hated the exhaust at first, but have grown used to it. The bonnet needs sorting (laquer peel) and the wheels could do with a refurb but other than that ALL IS GOOD! I will change the headunit for a bluetooth (sat/nav maybe?) jobbie once speakers sorted as well I guess.

A/C - fine

C/C - fine

Electrics (inc. seats)- fine

c/l - fine

reasonable MPG (copnsidering age, auto and 3.0 V6) - fine

amazed!

oh - and I have yet to see another one - not one - since buying this.Which i like very much!

best of all - what a forum full of great people! I think I will be sticking with this car for a while.....

• Like 3

• Moderators

Err, yeah, what Stu said! There's somethng about a Honda (or in my case Honda-derived Rovers) that makes them special. They do have a great driving position, reliable, economical, comfortable even on long journeys and in the case of the less mainstream models, a certain exclusivity as you've found out. That said, there are loads of Accord coupes (inc V6s) and Legends (3.2 and 3.5) round my neck of the woods - the Yanks love 'em too so they all seem to find their way here as rental vehicles for the USAF personnel and some even buy them too.

In terms of the forum, i've been on several in my time and i have to say in all honesty this one of, if not the, most welcoming and friendly. Also a mine of information - if it's been done or can be done to a Honda (or Rover with a Honda drivetrain) then someone on here knows about it.

Glad you'rre enjoying your Accord V6 coupe and long may it continue!!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Founding Member

Apologies for War & Peace (although still shorter than Dave's posts) :lol: Only joking Dave.

Well, I've had Purple Haze for just over a week now and can I say....what a car.  Having has the 2.0ES version before, I knew they were good but, well, the V6 is another league in my opinion.

I've had lots of cars in the past as we all have, including a Turbo Technics Sierra, RX7, Maxima V6, and since converting to Honda, I haven't looked back.  Purple Haze will be the fifth Honda I've owned in recent years, these include a Nighthawk black Accord SE Exec, Silver Accord SE Exec, Accord 2.0ES Coupe, Accord Type V and now the Accord V6 coupe.

Yes, the Accord Type V was a great car, absolutely ran like a Rolex for the 12 mths I had her and I got the "why change again, this car is great" from the wife, however, I wanted another coupe.  That's the key word, wanted.  Yes, I work, earn a reasonable salary and could have a Ford, Vauxhall, well you get the gist, but Stu knew I loved the coupe too and saved Purple Haze who is now being driven and loved again.

Back to the driving....the coupe is the only car I've had where I genuinely look forward to driving it.  This is due to loads of factors.....walking to the car you notice how subtly handsome the car is from the front and how aggressive the stance of the car is at the rear.  The twin exhausts mean business.  It looks lovely and looks aggressive and quick at the same time.  Then there's the lovely cossetting leather seats that seem to squeak as you sit on them and then wrap around your bottom.  The driving position is perfect.  Then fire her up and despite being an 18 year old car, she starts within 2 seconds EVERY time.  Let her tick over for 15 seconds to get her juices flowing and then put into R and then D4 and you know you're driving something special that's looks better and is made better than everything else on the road.

Pull up at the lights and the sales reps in their A4's or Insignias look across longingly and you know that you have 200+ BHP of Honda V6 power and torque but resist and let them pull away.  I had to accelerate quick yesterday for the first time and woah....the G Force was epic when the VTEC kicked in.  Scary but exciting at the same time.  Pull into the Asda carpark and people will stop pushing their trolleys and look.  This is because they have absolutely no idea what car it is, which means it's not a 'run of the mill' everyday car.

It's a rare and special car and as mentioned by Ritchie in another post, well all love them, can afford to and are prepared to spend £ to keep them well maintained and alive.  Of course, knowing Stu aka the coupe Guru is a massive bonus and not only is his knowledge and expertise legendary, he genuinely wants to keep as many coupes on the road as possible.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, Purple Haze is testament to Stu's expertise and a credit to him.  I do the washing and waxing and no-one else touches Purple except Stu mechanically.

In Stu's words "they get under your skin" and I can see what he means.  Cars are for driving and enjoying, especially on lovely warm days like today, so fire up the V6 and get out there.

Here endeth my story.  Honda Accord V6 Coupes Rule!  ;)

• Like 6

• Founding Member

Even at work Haze is getting compliments!  Vera (elderly colleague) said earlier "you car's lovely Geoff.  I wouldn't say it's purple though, the sun was on it and it's more plum than purple".  She thought it was black from a distance.  :lol:  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Was thinking about this on the way into work today.

I really didnt want to get up or go to work. Which is unusual 'cos i love my job. But I got in the Honda and drove down the M40, before i even got to Oxford services I was smiling. By the time i reached the chalk cut and i accelerated to over take a truck and the just pulled and pulled and didnt want to stop. Anyone that knows the M40 knows the chalk cut and is a reasonably steep hill that some cars dont like and you can floor it and the car doesnt go any faster. But not in the Honda.... wow.

It was glorious. It was fantastic. There was just so much there and it felt like there was so much still in reserve. Again after High Wycombe there is another incline, not so steep but its a real drag. Again the car just pulled and wanted to go harder.

It was a real pleasure to drive. A REAL pleasure.

Also this week my wife and daughter both had a go in the car, my wife was scared and my daughter was like WOW I LOVE THIS CAR and this was after her initial comment about "Its very fast and furious... but not in a good way."

So I am won over. Sticky Vicky is definitely a winner in my book.

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Happy Days Richard, I knew you'd love it.  I know exactly what you mean....we have a large hill called Barr Beacon (it's the highest point looking East until you get to Russia) and I'm not sure what the gradient is but it's steep.  This is the route I take to work as the other route involves J7 of the M6 which is always rammed.  Anyway, before the approach I usually slip down to D3 as I know Haze won't change to 4th until I'm on the summit.  Like you, I built up a bit of speed and then pressed the pedal and whoosh......it was still pulling like a train and was in 2nd gear until it changed to 3rd then 4th at the summit.  I was doing 60 at the summit.  Oops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barr_Beacon

I personally look forward to driving Haze all the time....one minute pipe and slippers quaffing a light sherry (and Stu's cigar) and the next.....well.  No other car I've had (and I've had a few but nowhere near as many as Dave!) has given me this experience, which is weird.  You get attached to your car I think and so long as it's maintained and looked after, you should have years of pleasurable motoring in a car that's becoming increasingly rare!

• Like 1

• Moderators

No other car I've had (and I've had a few but nowhere near as many as Dave!) has given me this experience, which is weird.  You get attached to your car I think and so long as it's maintained and looked after, you should have years of pleasurable motoring in a car that's becoming increasingly rare!

That's what makes it a "keeper" Geoff! :D I get the same feeling with the Sterling - no other 827 i've driven (i've owned 4 including the Sterling and the coupé) goes the way this one does and i don't feel "at one" with any of them the way i do in the Sterling.

The coupé is a great car and i've built an affinity with it (or perhaps it just has more of my knuckle skin than i do now!) and it's getting better with every mile driven now it's being looked after properly but the Sterling has the edge - it outperforms all the other 827s i've driven and always leaves me grinning like a Cheshire Cat on laughing gas.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Was out and about in te coupé today Geoff, apart from a slight (but incredibly annoying) wheel balance problem from the back between 64-72mph, she drove beautifully and after a decent run even found a bit more poke surprisingly. You'll have to look on my palaver thread in a while to see why i was out and about though! ;):D:lol:

Sticky Vicky??? :wacko::blink::rolleyes: What has she got to do with the price of fish?

Actually, don't answer that - let me rephrase it! How does the reference to Sticky Vicky connect to your coupé?

People seem to name their coupe's... So I thought about it and Sticky Vicky stuck. The Peugeot was Kate Moss. An ageing supermodel who actually still looked great today but was high maintenance, a little bit of trouble and when it came down to it was better to look at than actually be with due to being temperamental and only really performed when it wanted to and makes a point of complaining about something before doing it.

Where as the Accord just gets on with it. It does what it says on the tin... 3.0 V6 BANG. Its fast, its fun and it will blow ping pong balls out of its exhaust if you ask it to. It will make you smile, every, single, time. Like Kate its possibly seen better days and the world has possibly moved on and the likes of which will not be seen again.

The bottom line, if you excuse the pun, is that she is so good, legendary if you like, but she could land you in trouble if you are not careful.   

• Like 2

• Moderators

The Sterling has always been called Lucy when i can remember and the coupé i called Jolene - again when i can remember! Both are derived from the number plates, L177JUR on the Sterling, N727VOJ on the coupé.

As for the Jeep, i call it Melinda Jane or Mindy Jane for short, again derived from the number plate, M393 KJF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

Was thinking about this on the way into work today.

I really didnt want to get up or go to work. Which is unusual 'cos i love my job. But I got in the Honda and drove down the M40, before i even got to Oxford services I was smiling. By the time i reached the chalk cut and i accelerated to over take a truck and the just pulled and pulled and didnt want to stop. Anyone that knows the M40 knows the chalk cut and is a reasonably steep hill that some cars dont like and you can floor it and the car doesnt go any faster. But not in the Honda.... wow.

It was glorious. It was fantastic. There was just so much there and it felt like there was so much still in reserve. Again after High Wycombe there is another incline, not so steep but its a real drag. Again the car just pulled and wanted to go harder.

It was a real pleasure to drive. A REAL pleasure.

Also this week my wife and daughter both had a go in the car, my wife was scared and my daughter was like WOW I LOVE THIS CAR and this was after her initial comment about "Its very fast and furious... but not in a good way."

So I am won over. Sticky Vicky is definitely a winner in my book.

I know that stretch very well. Just by turning for prince's risborough. My ears used to pop there, car would struggle to maintain speed. Not in the V6 though :-)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...