Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Elysion Today?

PTR200S

• Moderators

Managed to fit some time in to give Elly a good bottoming...erm, yes....anyway lots of water, cleaning gear, microfibre and wet wax ensued !!

7 months of sitting hasn't helped and although I thought I did a good job a month ago it just looked like I hadn't bothered !! Still not entirely happy , more to do, but the left side looks a lot better than it did on the 10th November last year !!!!

So, one month down the line already since it went back on the road, can't believe it !!! Returned 26.5mpg this week...🤪🤪🤪🤪

20220702-194829.jpg

20220702-194811.jpg

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Site Subscriber’s
On 7/2/2022 at 2:49 PM, PTR200S said:

Today was strip the front brakes down as they have been creaking even when not applied at trickle speed , like reversing. 

Sure enough the caliper sliders were tight along with the pad groove full to bursting with brake dust..the pad ears were interference fit and not clogged but the stainless seating needed a good clean.

40 minutes to do both sides was reasonable and they have definetly reduced the creaking...I can now hear the back left creaking 🙃🙃

That's funny, as I did mine last week. Exactly the same procedure, and pads very tight, with the rear sliders a bit tight. I've been getting creaking from the back as well, which is better now, but not completely eradicated. Could it be something else?

• Like 4

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Chrismas said:

That's funny, as I did mine last week. Exactly the same procedure, and pads very tight, with the rear sliders a bit tight. I've been getting creaking from the back as well, which is better now, but not completely eradicated. Could it be something else?

Wondered that today, something else,  I got creaking from the left front again..but still haven't had chance to strip the rears.  

Were your rear pads tight as in stuck on marginally? Or just difficult to move slider?

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 7/2/2022 at 8:25 PM, PTR200S said:

7 months of sitting hasn't helped and although I thought I did a good job a month ago it just looked like I hadn't bothered !! Still not entirely happy , more to do, but the left side looks a lot better than it did on the 10th November last year !!!!

Looking sharp Pete 😍😁👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Site Subscriber’s
16 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Wondered that today, something else,  I got creaking from the left front again..but still haven't had chance to strip the rears.  

Were your rear pads tight as in stuck on marginally? Or just difficult to move slider?

Both....pads tight, and just about stuck on the calipers , by the pad 'ears' as you say. Got the Dremel out and ground down a bit of corrosion and dust build up. The rear sliders were tight, but i didn't think excessively though. They got a new dose of red rubber grease. The creaking sounds like a little bearing grumble, but the bearings when I inspected them are smooth and sound and feel great. It is only when I reverse the car, almost sounds like a suspension vibration.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Really bizarre this creaking,  I have never had it before and put it down to the van being off the road for several months....

Obviously it is not because its resting !!!

I have sprayed all possible offending joints too, but to no avail ..

Have to keep looking, let us know if you find anything   I will do likewise 👍

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I managed to spend a bit of time on the Elysion today, not been washed in a while, about three weeks, and it shows !

The dust was everywhere,  inside and out, the really hot and dry period hasn't helped . Quick fluid check, all OK, its running great 😍😍😍😍

Bearing in mind its been in the bodyshop having its bits sorted it also managed to get all the odd dents removed too !!!!

Wouldn't you know it, a new dent has appeared, obviously a careless twunt  and the door got together to give Elly one on the offside wing just behind where an indicator repeater would be normally.  (Elysion doesn't have any !!) 

It's not bad but I can see it, swmbo can't see it and doesn't understand why I am livid 😥

• Sad 2

• Moderators

Oil change today, and filter of course, genuine Honda bigboy filter !!

The oil was filthy and smelled slightly too, possibly fuel...I last changed it in Feb 2021 !!

The accident last November took it off the road for seven months in which time it did around 40 miles...all stop, start moving around the different compounds as the repairwork was done. I am assuming this is the smelly problem. 

Total mileage amounts just 3000 since last change in 2021 !

Bit yuccy the filter as well as smelly oil

20220729-151434.jpg

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Had to get down and dirty this morning underneath the front lower lip on the bumper. 

The biggest speed hump in the history of speed bumps , that's my story anyway although I may have been going "slightly " faster than the stupid 20mph restriction, decided to remove three panel clips when the lower lip struck the bumpy tarmac !!

Fluid check and all good, just need some superunleaded go juice now 😂

• Sad 2

• Moderators

Been getting that creaking on and off from the front end  right-side this time...checked the disk for heat when I got home, definetly warmer on the right but not "smokin" !

Got the infrared heat gun out   yep, sure enough the disk is about 3C hotter on the right than the left.

Whipped the wheel and caliper off, sliders perfect, brake pad ears perfect fit popped the two pistons out, came out together, ( good ) bit mucky so cleaned them up stuck them back...

Under test over the weekend now.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Noticed a rattle this week, under the bonnet, which turned out to be a couple of broken clips on the upper radiator grill / slam panel shroud...

Under further investigation several more clips were in the process of disintegrating with only a couple of new ones I installed last year being fully operational 🙃🙃🙃

As you very well know one job leads to another so after removing all the remaining clips I took the complete panel off....only to find some more had let go on a lower panel...plus a bit of (shock, horror ) rust on hidden nuts and bolts, rad locator plates......and then the bonnet catch which also needed lube,,,and then,,,you get the idea !!!

Five minutes of a job replacing clips,  two and a half hours later.......

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

I feel your pain Pete - had similar on the Jag this week. A common problem, the headlamp adjuster pieces inside the headlights have a habit of shattering (hard PVC, nothing more durable) and that had happened on the drivers headlamp. To remove it, the front bumper cover has to come off, or at least be moved forward away from the car to allow access to the bolts that hold the headlight in.

All screws/bolts shown in the Jag WSM were removed and it still wouldn't budge. Deciding to take a break and work on a reluctant clamp that holds the arch liner in place, i noticed something strange at the top of the return where the bumper meets the wing. A non-standard self tapper screwed through the bumper return and into the wing return.

For

Five

Seconds ........... i thought then removed it and lo & behold, the bumper cover was free to move! Ten minutes later the headlight was sat on my lounge floor awaiting my attention after dinner.

The irony is that the other side which doesn't need doing at the moment has no extra screws/bolts etc that shouldn't be there.

Spent the evening last night stripping, fitting new adjusters (useful kit on fleabay made from Delrin or similar includes the natty little gear wheels on the ends of the adjuster screws), rebuilding then polishing the lenses with T-Cut. Ready to refit now or at least later on after shopping.

It never ceases to amaze me how cars get bodged over the years and things that (in theory at least) shouldn't deteriorate do.

The upside of doing this "extra-curricular maintenance" is that when we need to do something later, it should all come apart as intended with no fighting or disintegrating from the various components involved.

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

The Elysion has been in my , erm, care ! for over 4 years now, well 4 1/2 years actually and one thing that never worked was the rear hatch lock using the smart card.

To unlock the Elysion it is just a matter of having the smart card in the pocket, touching the door handles and it unlocks.

With the rear lock not working in this way it meant touching the front door handle then going around the back to pull the catch and lift the hatch.

When I installed the towbar some three or more years back I cleaned the sensor terminal up which was under the rear bumper....it still didn't work and with a lack of user manuals to guide I just left it.

Every day is a school day,  or so they say....today I grabbed the hatch latch, not touching the door handles as I thought it was already unlocked, pulled it up into the release position and the alarm indicator flashed with a discernible click from the lock.   Somewhat surprised as it had never done this previously I released the handle and pulled it up again...the hatch opened 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣......blimey its working !!!!

It seems as if pulling the handle once disengaged the lock with a second pull opening the catch  !!

So if yours doesn't seem to work then try the two pulls approach  !!!!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Check of the gearbox dipstick today revealed nice clean fluid with no burnt smell so I am assuming all is well at the moment.  I was going to change the fluid today but it looks good so will leave it until the spring.

Engine oil is good too but despite changing it in June, I think, its already started to turn. Four months of mostly town work, stop start , does oil no favours at all.

The power steering fluid sits at the halfway mark when cold but when running sits at the full line...never could understand this as the Coupe sits bang on the full line hot or cold.  When I have filled it to the full mark, cold,  when its warm it leaks it out ...runs good anyway at half mark so that's where it's staying!!

Everything else looks good,  tyres up , cleaned inside the windscreen in both the Elysion and the Coupe as this low winter sun shows up all the marks and makes it difficult to see through !!!!....

Looking forward to running the Elysion and the Coupe together again, at least for the next month...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Today, I used the Snow Patrol !!!

With the slight thaw yesterday for a couple of hours i managed to wash some crap off the rear end only to see it freeze faster than Mr Whippy. 

External scrape and clean of the windows, check fluids under the bonnet, good to go.

With the subsequent re freeze of the roads it was a toss-up between ice skates or crampons to tippy toe out to the van.....most roads were clear but the back roads not so much, so Elly and I practiced sliding around a bit 🤣🤣🤣

The Snow control button seems to make a difference operating some sort of traction control, probably using the abs , and restricting both the power / lower gears to help things along. Not perfect but it does actually make a difference in getting about.....braking ? Well, that's a whole other ball game.

Still, safely home now but very conscious of barely a year has passed since getting a bend in the fender...

Ps, after seeing a single double decker bus swap ends on the corner near me early this morning I took it REALLY easy !!!!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Today, having done the front offside suspension and fitted a new disk ( see other thread ) I thought I better fit a new disk to the nearside as well. 25 mins taking it easy and lubing and cleaning stuff as I went along.

Fitted new rear light sockets to the ones I didn't get around to last year. Gone back to original bulbs in all areas of the rear lights, the led stuff either fails or is too big really to fit the housing properly. 

Mot is due in April which I thought seemed a long way off but suddenly here we are in mid March 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

With a squealing disk this morning and it covering the noise from the banging on the front offside (yes, it's still banging despite the new bushes.) I thought I had better investigate...

Easy fix, turned out to be the brake back plate had bent into the back of the new disk 🙃🙃🙃 with the wheel off soon sorted.

Back out on the road confirmed squeal had gone but I am still plagued with the "knock" from the front corner somewhere...

Everything checked again including the top suspension turret...I just don't know where to go next...

It almost sounds like the wheel is loose on the lugs but obviously not..a clack as it goes over a bump. The drop links and the bottom ball joint all good, no movement in the wheel hub, new bushes in the lower wishbone and the suspension fork.  The only place left now is the top suspension lever mounts....

• Confused 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

..a clack as it goes over a bump.

Usually a sign of worn drop links, possibly the bottom ball joint or maybe, brake reaction bar/tie-rod bushes.

Might be worth renewing the drop links on the off-chance, if that doesn't sort it then you have a spare usable set for diagnostics.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Usually a sign of worn drop links, possibly the bottom ball joint or maybe, brake reaction bar/tie-rod bushes.

That's what I thought initially but the drop link had to come off when I did the bushes in the lower wishbone,,,they were perfect...wonder if the roll bar bush is the problem....on the main chassis...looked OK but.......

• Like 1

• Moderators

Could be, my money would still be on the drop links though. They are under a lot of presure that we can't replicate. Almost worth doing as a precaution just to eliminate because we can't get the right forces on them to make them noisy.

Alternatively, remove them completely and go for a short drive, if the noise has gone, you know the problem. Don't forget it'll roll a fair bit without them though!

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Off to mates ramps on Thursday to go through all the suspension again 😭😭😭

Today it would not start first pull, or second.. fired on the third...really odd but had to get E10 a couple of weeks back and the tank was close to fuel light, it actually came on whilst I was out this morning...

Went to fill up with E5,  second pull to start whilst on fuel station and hot engine.

Just hoping it's the low fuel, maybe water involved, E10 shite thats caused the problem...dumped some Redex in too...

• Like 1

• Moderators

The starting issue has resolved itself after the E5 fill up, first time every time now 😃

Today it was on the ramps to check for this annoying knock...absolutely everything bang on as checked by the local mot tester too.

The only thing was the front under engine cover again, two missing plastic trim clips and a third with a broken head....looks like they are getting torn off on speed bumps judging by the scrapes on the underside of the cover. Fekin nuisance the speed bumps.

Is it the banging of the cover causing the issue ???  Well, not sure yet.

Whilst underneath I also discovered rust beginning to take hold on the chassis, very minor though but as it was pristine 5 years ago it tells you the state of the UK roads with this salting shit.

Couple of hours underneath with the UC Bilt Hamber sorted the problem  😁

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, hughezee said:

You're not using Bosch plugs by any chance. 😮

Wash your mouth out !!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Fitted NGK 6994 in November 2018 so a little while ago but they are good and clean , as expected  👍👍👍

• Haha 2