Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Elysion Today?

PTR200S

• Moderators

Today, Elly got a thorough wash and an underbonnet check.

The body is looking good apart from the stone chipped spoiler but noticed the tar build up on the lower panels needs a good clean up, another job, another day !

Under the hood, no oil has been consumed but even though the oil is just a couple of k miles old it is already colouring up towards black. The mot emissions figures show a tendency towards rich on the lambda so maybe the short journey mileage is affecting the oil.

No water used as such but still seem to have an occasional weep on the heated intake manifold pipe..

Brake fluid level is ok but needs another change to improve the clarity .

Anyway, pretty pleased all round ! 😄

• Like 3

• Administrators

The former Shuttle and the current Odyssey, always have frequent oil changes mainly due to the short journeys 3-4 months interval seems to keep things sweet and minimise fuel in oil contamination or making a few long trips will extend oil life and minimise the effects of short journeys...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, st123 said:

Same on my Elly oil has gone black done 4k but most of the on short journeys

Have you done a few oil changes since you got yours, though?

I wondered just how long these imports sit around before we get them over here, and when they last got an oil change !!!!! Maybe that is part of the problem.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have changed mine twice and the importer did it before i got it in May last year yet still seems to go off so i wondered if it was just a dirty engine from lack of previous oil changes but not totally convinced now.

The Coupe , on the other hand, with the same ish engine remains pretty clean now .......

• Like 2

• Moderators

Neglected oil changes can leave an engine dirty inside for quite some time. When i got my Volvo with 215k on the clock, the oil was black as the ace of spades and had the consistency of something thinner than water. Now with 224k and after 3 oil/filter changes, it's due another but is finally starting to stay clean between changes.

When i first got my Rover 11 years ago, the oil was similar to the Volvo. Lost count of how many oil and filter changes it's had but it's staying clean between changes now.

Both cars have had my usual cocktail of cleaning additives and in the Rovers case, something that has helped is lagging the exhaust front pipe with exhaust heat-wrap. That helps prevent heat from the front pipe cooking the oil as it passes under the sump so stays cleaner longer.

Slightly off topic with the vehicles but the principle remains the same, it takes time to clean the neglect out of an engine. Given Japans strict emissions criteria, it's highly possible these cars may not have passed their emissions tests due to the neglected oil changes but after landing on our hallowed shores, having an oil and filter change and whatever else, passed ours quite happily. ;):D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Today was oil change day for Elly, plus an investigation on a front nearside tyre pressure drop....

Up the ramps to give some clearance, the van sits low and the front spoiler limits access, 17mm spanner on to the drain plug which faces to the rear of the van ! Thanks Honda !🙄 

oil_change_1_180519.jpg

Blimey, that's a bit dirty.....

oil_change_2_180519.jpg

Put this stuff in to try out, its a bit quieter on tickover.....

oil_change_3_180519.jpg

Investigation of the front nearside tyre revealed this , 😭 barsteward !

puncture_roofing_nail.jpg

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Sad 1
  • grrrr 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Investigation of the front nearside tyre revealed this , 😭 barsteward !

Pardon the pun Pete but you've nailed it with the diagnosis. Luckily in the middle of the tread like that it's fixable. Looks like a fairly new tyre too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Pardon the pun Pete but you've nailed it with the diagnosis. Luckily in the middle of the tread like that it's fixable. Looks like a fairly new tyre too?

Quite right, best place for a repair and , yes,  the tyre is just 12 months old.....fitted by the importer. All four actually but not a brand I would choose and certainly won't at the head of the queue come replacement time !!!

• Like 3

• Moderators

I thought it looked like a roofing nail Stu, they can give a persistent but slow air loss. The valve core might be another option or as i had on the Sterling, corroded bead area on the wheel. Didn't even need to peel the lacquer off once the tyre was removed, just touched it and it all fell off leaving a corroded surface on the wheel where the tyre seats/beads.

It's now been refurbished but the paint was diabolical so needs stripping down and repainting with different paint. Complete nuisance with a capital "F" to be honest!

• Like 2

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, hughezee said:

I would be surprised if a pin is the culprit of the persistent air loss TBH, might be worth re-seating the valve, still hope it is an easy fix Pete 

I certainly hope not, Stu, these were new wheels and tyres but definitely will replace the valve when tyre comes off just to be sure.

The "pin" is actually a galvanised roofing nail, just doesn't look that big on a big tyre !!! Photo doesn't show it too well to be fair.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

What brand are they Pete?

They are budget stuff, I can buy these tyres cheaply at the wholsalers but to me they are last resort tyres.....called Three 606 , directional, 225 / 45 /18 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, PTR200S said:

called Three 606

606 or 666? :o

I've seen them on many cars and i wouldn't want them on anything i drive either. Young lady next door has an automatic A-Class Merc with them on and they are developing some very strange wear patterns!

• Moderators

Haha, definitely 606 !!! 

I have to say they appear to be pretty quiet but I can chirrup them with ease off the line in the dry...they spin up in the wet too.... obviously struggling with 250bhp even on an autobox.

Soft sidewall but as they are 45 series there isn't much of a sidewall ! 

In the dry they are pretty competent but feel as if they will let go at any moment, that said I have put them to the test ( no, not me officer ! ) and I cant get them squealing on roundabouts which can mean one of two things. Either the feel that they will let go anytime doesn't give me confidence to get them up to squealing speed or they just don't squeal !!! 😁 

The van is on bilstein adjustables and corners pretty flat so you can draw your own conclusions !!!! 

That said, 45 quid a corner....... they are cheap Chinese but not classified as ditch finders just yet !!!

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Put this stuff in to try out, its a bit quieter on tickover.....

oil_change_3_180519.jpg

I haven't tried TradeTEC oil before, well I have kinda using Total Lubricants seems good lube too, but all linked brands seem to push 5W30 grades for the majority of Honda's like Millers oils do as well, so I would be considering a different grade oil personally, just to keep the none active cylinder walls happier when the VCM is active? Quietening down an engine with thicker oil doesn't mean it's well protected. I recently scrapped 5W40 F.S oil I thought was a good performing oil but after over 3 years testing and evaluation it wasn't much good after all IMO, just throwing my 2 cents in the pot, keep us posted on how you get on with it Pete 👍 

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Quietening down an engine with thicker oil doesn't mean it's well protected

It might simply be due to the fact the new oil is cleaner Stu and/or a better quality than what was in there - i can't remember if Pete has already done an oil/filter change (i think he has thogh) but going by the tyres the imposter fitted, the original oil probably wasn't great. Could be the engine is pretty dirty inside and would benefit from a slurp of ATF-U in with the engnie oil.

I've seen TradeTEC oil for sale in a few places, seems to get good reports but i suppose like all things, time will tell. Look at the Triple QX 10W40 i was using for many years without a problem then they changed the formula (for recycled allegedly!) and it made 3 previously smoke-free engines very smoky, smelly and noisy.

I'm still using the Gulf 10W40 that errr, wotzisname recommended - still performing well in both beasts! ;):D

• Moderators

Tradetec actually recommend using their Ford 5-20 for the 3 litre V6 but as i actually haven't got any right now it got this in it !!!  

Perhaps I should get some 5 - 20 to test properly.

It , the 10 -40,  will be going fairly quickly as i just want to clean out the engine, .....the short journey stuff i am currently doing really doesn't help..

Interestingly, the Jazz is shown as requiring 5 - 30, still does 50 to the gallon with 10 - 40 oil inside !!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Tonights quick job, get wheel off ready to drop tomorrow morning at local tyre place....NOT Kwik Sh!t   !!!!

Getting the quicklifter under the old girls skirts and onto to her lifting point took some fiddling around.... erm, that' doesn't really read correctly, does it? !🙄 

Must get the hub greased up too..... and a bath might just be in order too......

puncture_roofing_nail_2.jpg

and a quick shot under her arches, mmmmmm

bilstien_adjustable.jpg

• Like 2