Subscriptions & Donations ×

Radio/ Head Unit/ Speaker Chat & Upgrades Accord Coupe 2.0 3.0 V6

hughezee

Hi there Ash.

A big improvement over the standard Mexico 15w 6x9's. Especially the Tops, well, now there is Tops...lol.

I have also notices that the volume response is a lot higher, or louder should I say. But maybe that is because they are operating like component with a built-in crossover instead of full-range. But definitely a lot more 'Presence'.

The only disappointments was the fact that the attachment holes in the Speakers didn't quite match up to the screw holes in the deck, so a bit of fiddling had to be done top get them all to fit and screw in. A case of 3 would fit fine but then the 4th wouldn't at all.

The other this was the Adapters I ordered did not fit into the Car Loom correctly, even though they were the correct ones ordered. So again I had to make them fit which resulted in them being able to fit either way. But I worked out, (I hope) that the Coloured Wires, (Blue/Red/Yellow) coming from the car were the (+) and the Grey/Brown/White were the (-)..... Anyway, it seems to sound right. Maybe you can confirm this??? See attached Diagram.

The only thing I might have to do is get a matching pair for the Doors to even things out. (I hate removing Door Cards!). :(

Thanks for asking - ciao for now. :)

Stereo sound system circuit.jpg

• Founding Member

Got to say I am not good with these diagrams. 

All I would say is that if they were wired incorrectly you'd know about it as they would lack bass response and have an airy/echoey sound. This is known as out of phase and you could only tell if the balance was in the middle whereas the balance to either left or right would sound fine individually.

hope that helps

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

Got to say I am not good with these diagrams. 

All I would say is that if they were wired incorrectly you'd know about it as they would lack bass response and have an airy/echoey sound. This is known as out of phase and you could only tell if the balance was in the middle whereas the balance to either left or right would sound fine individually.

hope that helps

Thanks....

As far as the wiring and phasing goes I just followed the Colour Coding on the Diagram, the Blue/Yellow & Red/Yellow being the positives and then connecting the adapter so the (+) coming from the Speaker matches up to the (+) on the Loom. The Wiring Diagram is for the 98-02 Accord. I've cropped the diagram to just show the associated Cables.

As far as the sound goes, it does sound right, but you know how it is, you're always second-guessing yourself... :) Also the Cones are moving in the correct direction with the beat. I was a Club DJ for a few years in the 80's and also did sound engineering for a Band through a multi-core and 16 track mixing desk... (Of which I both thoroughly enjoyed!). I just hope my ears and judgement are as good as they were then....lol. :)

Ciao for now... ;) And thanks again.

Stereo sound system circuit A.jpg

NB.

Just taken a couple of photos of the connections.

The White Wires are to the Positives on the Speakers.

You will see in each instance that the Blue & Yellow and the Red & Yellow are corresponding to the White Wires on the Connections.

So it gotta be right, right...? :D

(Don't worry I pushed it back together properly - it came loose when I fiddled with it for the photo). ;)

gajmQJX.jpg

DfQV8Y0.jpg

Ciao.

• 1 month later...

How easy is it to remove the stereo?  I want to play CDs, and the autochanger in the boot seems to be working, but I wonder if it might have been disconnected at some point.  Probably easier to put in a new player, but not if it's going to be a lot of hassle.  The dashboard seems tough as old boots.

Hi.

This Video will give you a good idea:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_7AUOA9lQU  (If you don't like this Video there are plenty of others).

But you will need an Adapter to be able to plug in the new headunit. I believe this is the one: https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ct20hd01-honda-accord-civic-cr-v-integra-wiring-harness-adaptor-iso-loom.html

Good luck.

• Founding Member

I found that too.  My mirrors were very stiff (ooo err Dave) and need some force initially but they now fold in fine.  I'm paranoid about someone clipping one so I always fold them in when parked in say a car park.  The stereo is easy to fit, there a two screws above the ashtray although from memory, remove the clock first to reveal another screw.  Then the facia pulls away.  Check out the links on fitting stereos though, I'm sure Stu mentioned something about not connecting the yellow wire otherwise it will fry your multiplexer which controls the dash lighting.  These cost millions too!  

Good luck fitting, lots of pics would be great too.  :)

• The title was changed to Questions about my Accord Coupe?
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Bose came in the year 2000-2002 models and the UK accords CD unit or an equivalent Alpine unit will suffice, generally they are mounted in the boot and placed in a compartment tray on the N.S side. I had Bose in mine without a CD changer and no wishing to sacrifice my boot trim at the time I dropped a changer in a spare glovebox and secured with velcro strips and it worked well. I've since swapped the glovebox back to the original one and changed my head unit for a more modern unit and stashed the original Bose unit away. I do have a spare bracket but gave the changer and cable to another member and the cable isn't waiting for you behind the trim unless it's had a unit fitted before ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks for that, i was hoping the wiring might have been there :(

I have a couple of Honda cd units from S2000 i was hoping to use but not that bothered, really need a better exhaust soundtrack.:rolleyes: not in chav style mind you :D

3 hours ago, PTR200S said:

I Really need a better exhaust soundtrack.:rolleyes: not in chav style mind you :D

Now this is what I would have done personally - so not to everyone's taste, so not saying that they must do it.... :)

If my "Beast" had standard Rear Silencers I would more than likely have these fitted:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121580274514?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

I do believe that the Inlet Pipes on the standard exhaust is 2 inches, (could be wrong here) and I believe the combined length is the same. Obviously there would require a bit of Welding etc. But I believe they would fit, sound nice, (I've heard these Pipes have a nice sound) and definitely look the part! 

I've heard, no pun intended, that they sound quite a bit like Magnaflow but at quarter the cost! 

I reckon they will sound a bit like the car in this video, but of course you will still have the Resonator, so maybe not so deep.

It's gotta be better than standard. Damn, that's ugly! (Sorry... :( ). Like the Tips even! ( I searched long and hard to find this Video). :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ILNHk2fjo

Anyway, gives you an idea if nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

I too was considering purchasing and fitting a CD changer as my 2000 coupe didn't come with one (it has Bose speakers though at least). To be honest I hardly listen to the radio/music when driving so I just ended up buying this 3.5mm to Cassette player! Should keep the Mrs reasonable happy for when she rides with me. Of course quality wont be as good a proper cd or direct aux, but hey, this way I only spent 3 quid!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371083786716?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 3

• Moderators

Like you i dont listen to radio a lot in car, but not used to not having cd player,,,dont listen to it off mobile either,,,mobile phones are just that, phones, to me :rolleyes:

good idea though thanks

I did buy a cigar lighter unit, Bluetooth,  that transmits to the radio, that works well too.

Can plug in a stick or Bluetooth from phone if you felt the need :P its rubbish at handsfree calling though despite what they say.:angry:

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Don't know if you guys would consider an after market single slot CD player. I bought a Pioneer 8400BT a few years back and haven't looked back. As well as it being very versatile for my in car installation it also has a Parrot hands free built in which is pretty impressive. All your contacts appear on the screen on the head unit and you can make/answer all calls via the stereo without touching your phone. It's now discontinued but there are other alternatives now. 

Just a thought/suggestion

• Like 3

Hi Ahsy.

Strangely I contemplated getting the same as you but by the time I decided they were no longer available so had to by the DEH-X9500BT, and boy am I glad I did...!!! :D http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/deh-x9500bt   https://www.carsoundsandsecurity.co.uk/store/deh-x9500bt/ 

Found in the R75 it transformed the sound completely, in fact so good I just left the Standard, (pretty rubbish) Speakers in situ!

I have now fitted it in the Coupe, although I did fit a pair of these: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r169x2 purely because it was relatively easy to do.. :) I hate removing Doorcards - they are never the same after removal. :(

I'm not sure what a standard Radio sounded like because the previous owner had already fitted an aftermarket Pioneer, but pretty old and poverty-pack quality. Also I definitely wanted the Bluetooth for the 'Hands-Free' facility because I point-blank refuse to use my cellphone whilst driving - even long before it was not allowed.

Anyway, the sound is very good in my humble opinion, and will do until it gives up the ghost. The Rockfords do increase the sound quality big time though compared to the Mexican jobbies they replaced! (Although not too bad in their own right considering they are rated at about 15 or 20watts I think - not sure though).

And not only that I don't think it looks too out of place in the car as it is quite conservative in looks. In fact I think it actually compliments the overall appearance. :)

And just in case people are wondering, here is a couple of quick snaps I just took to give you an idea.......... ;)

LaMaroH.jpg

rnh7HZu.jpg

• Founding Member

Excellent buy in my humble opinion. Quality, practically and looks! 

I hate all these fancy screens and lights all over the place and thought the Pioneer looked the part and quite classy. 

As Bill showed you his it would be rude not to show you mine :blush::P

IMG_5900.thumb.JPG.7a937d68e13e8c2e1b47862c79237fde.JPGIMG_4407.thumb.JPG.ecdd72f199f8053d719a2ee59190da13.JPG

• Like 3

Nice..... I wonder why some Coupes have the Plastic Wood around the Climate Control Console and some don't, especially as it is down by the Cupholders and Window Controls... I would prefer it all of nothing to be honest - looks half finished. I did have a search on Ebay but no luck...

Strange...???

• Founding Member

That was an optional extra which is the oddest thing Honda offered on theses coupes.....as you said it looks half finished without it and I like the continuation of the veneer consul up to the climate control surround. Also looks better against the tan and brown interior...imo. 

I got mine on eBay after Stu gave me a heads up on it. Have a look at the post below:

• Like 3