Subscriptions & Donations ×

Radio/ Head Unit/ Speaker Chat & Upgrades Accord Coupe 2.0 3.0 V6

hughezee

• Founding Member
18 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Like the look of those, guys....would they be a straight fit for the Bose Honda unit that's in now and do I need a plug converter?

You would need this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoleads-PC2-68-4-Honda-Accord-98-01-Car-Stereo-ISO-Lead-Adaptor-Wire-Plug-/350832769679?hash=item51af433a8f:g:7OcAAMXQLoZR4BTZ

also have a read of my Pretend Veneer Wood Consul referring to the Multiplexer

• Like 1

• Moderators

Cheers, Ahsy, looks like a good idea to combine everything.

Just looking at the lead specs although it says ok for the Coupe the standard Accord entry above the Coupe says not for Bose speakers... how does that fit with ours having Bose speakers / radio unit?

• Moderators

looks like even the 9500 is now discontinued,, found the replacement is also discon :rolleyes:

Now showing these at around £150

Pioneer DEH-X9600BT

Unfortunately they have turned into a chav mobile version with bouncing flashing lights on the front...........:angry:

44 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

looks like even the 9500 is now discontinued,, found the replacement is also discon :rolleyes:

Now showing these at around £150

Pioneer DEH-X9600BT

Unfortunately they have turned into a chav mobile version with bouncing flashing lights on the front...........:angry:

You can change the Display - about 5 different choices. That is the Graphic Eq Screen.

The 8700DAB is more or less the same except the CD loading is on the Faceplate, 9XXX behind, has only a single rear USB Input, 9XXX has 2, a rear Aux Input, 9XXX on the Front but no SD Card input like the 9XXX Series has.

But the big Plus is the DAB Radio - although you most probably will have to purchase a special Aerial separately. Not expensive though.

Looks like a decent bit of kit. I just personally don't like the front loading CD.

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

You can change the Display - about 5 different choices. That is the Graphic Eq Screen.

You are quite right,  just found youtube clips showing a million and one options :rolleyes:  from colour changes to screen displays to sound settings ! ok, maybe not that many but quite a few.

Dab is pants really in our area,  ok on major channels but not a great selection.. maybe i should stick with an fm option, and, as you say could be an aerial problem . Could get a dab aerial screen stick version, i have used those before and just as good reception as i mate who has an A7 with factory dab....also pants in this area.:angry:

All i need really is cd option not bothered that much on radio side, cd and exhaust soundtrack is fine :P

DAB isn't too bad where I am, but still only about half a dozen stations! Although I listen to Smooth mostly anyway. The real plus with DAB is that there is more music and less talking and ads.

This would be a good option, basically one up from the 9500, well upgrade really:  http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/cd-players/pioneer-deh-x9600bt-cd-mp3-sd-usb-ipod-iphone-ready-bluetooth

If I had the money I would love one of these - I suppose I should have bought one when I did have to money...lol. :(  http://caraudiosecurity.com/avh-x7800bt-7-flip-out-monitor-cd-dvd-bluetooth-stereo 

You can get really good headunits these days for min money...

I'm tempted to get a half-decent CD player + radio for mine (won't bother with the autochanger) and saw some reasonably priced ones in Halfords the other day - Pioneer from £39 and Sony from about £60.  Which is the better make, or does it depend on the individual unit?  I reckon the sound from the original Honda radio/CD is pretty good and I want the same if not better.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I was a devoted Sony & Clarion listener, then I tried a Pioneer - will not buy Sony or Clarion ICE again, unless some drastically changes with Pioneer!

Sorry, cannot comment on Alpine. But I tell you what, as a cheaper brand JVC is very good! Better than Sony in my experience! ;)

But I will say that get something with built-in Bluetooth - seriously handy to have for Hands-Free as well as Streaming Music from your Cellphone... :D

Good luck.

• Administrators

I've never really been much of a car audio fan, despite being an installer many years ago :rolleyes: pro audio has set the benchmark for me and I generally look at the technical spec's of audio above all else and in-car entertainment is no exception. The radio/ head unit I've got in my coupe is a Sony one, it fitted the price I was prepared to pay, DAB, USB, Bluetooth ect ect but it was audio tech specs that sold it to me. Although I did purchase a pioneer one recently for my shuttle before I sold it to my dad and it wasn't anything to compare as it is a totally different car acoustically to the coupe. However, switching the standard pioneer factory fitted to some BOSE ones from a UK Accord made a significant improvement. 

The acoustics in the accord coupe are very good and you can create a fantastic sound just by matching the head unit's built-in amplifier + preset eq to the existing speakers, providing they are in good working condition??? Sound quality is so much more than just the manufacturer; unless it's a really cheap nasty thing, several top brands use sony critical components, including apple and pioneer. ;)

Regards an aftermarket radio installation either from standard or Bose equipped the USA or UK model the majority of the adaptors will work in any 98-02 Accord with exception of the rear Bose sub or rear tweeters which will no longer work in the UK version. I have adapted several adaptors get them functioning with aftermarket radio or feeding separate power supply and audio signal via RCA direct to the eq & controller mounted under the passenger seat.

Additionally, those with Bose in the coupe will have steering wheel controls and anybody wishing to retain some control remotely, I purchased a MK2 CRV adaptor which gave me a tidy plug from the cars loom to link into an Axxess interface called an ASWC-1 that links with the new head unit. Before anybody assumes or asks the CRV's kit isn't necessary I just didn't want to cut wires and it did come with its own interface to function in the same way as the ASWC-1 but didn't work on the coupe.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Erm, okaaaay.... not sure if I can follow all that ! :rolleyes:

Got Bose, steering wheel controls too, what do i need to look for in the rear end of the car? sub unit/tweeters?

The adapters that say won't work with Bose are referring to the 1998-2002 UK Accord, as part of the system won't function, that's all e.g rear sub & rear tweeters, this reference doesn't apply to the 1998-2002 USA Accord coupe with or without Bose, just cut the orange wire on the ISO cable and it should work fine.

Regards the steering wheel controls you need an interface and a head unit with remote function.  

Hope that clarifies things ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, hughezee said:

The adapters that say won't work with Bose are referring to the 1998-2002 UK Accord, as part of the system won't function, that's all e.g rear sub & rear tweeters, this reference doesn't apply to the 1998-2002 USA Accord coupe with or without Bose, just cut the orange wire on the ISO cable and it should work fine.

Regards the steering wheel controls you need an interface and a head unit with remote function.  

Hope that clarifies things ;)

Think I have got it ! 

So will need to check the head function as a priority really, I want to retain the steering wheel control, cheers :D

• Like 1

• Founding Member
2 hours ago, hughezee said:

I've never really been much of a car audio fan, despite being an installer many years ago :rolleyes: pro audio has set the benchmark for me and I generally look at the technical spec's of audio above all else and in-car entertainment is no exception. The radio/ head unit I've got in my coupe is a Sony one, it fitted the price I was prepared to pay, DAB, USB, Bluetooth ect ect but it was audio tech specs that sold it to me. Although I did purchase a pioneer one recently for my shuttle before I sold it to my dad and it wasn't anything to compare as it is a totally different car acoustically to the coupe. However, switching the standard pioneer factory fitted to some BOSE ones from a UK Accord made a significant improvement. 

The acoustics in the accord coupe are very good and you can create a fantastic sound just by matching the head unit's built-in amplifier + preset eq to the existing speakers, providing they are in good working condition??? Sound quality is so much more than just the manufacturer; unless it's a really cheap nasty thing, several top brands use sony critical components, including apple and pioneer. ;)

Regards an aftermarket radio installation either from standard or Bose equipped the USA or UK model the majority of the adaptors will work in any 98-02 Accord with exception of the rear Bose sub or rear tweeters which will no longer work in the UK version. I have adapted several adaptors get them functioning with aftermarket radio or feeding separate power supply and audio signal via RCA direct to the eq & controller mounted under the passenger seat.

Additionally, those with Bose in the coupe will have steering wheel controls and anybody wishing to retain some control remotely, I purchased a MK2 CRV adaptor which gave me a tidy plug from the cars loom to link into an Axxess interface called an ASWC-1 that links with the new head unit. Before anybody assumes or asks the CRV's kit isn't necessary I just didn't want to cut wires and it did come with its own interface to function in the same way as the ASWC-1 but didn't work on the coupe.

I think I may've said this before Stu .....I can't wait for you to have a demo in my coupe to get your opinion on the musical experience that you will encounter:D

ps need to sort the Focals out for the front door panels first though. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Had a lot of JVC in the past and pleased with them all, Sony was a different matter,  anything I got didn't last beyond a couple of years so would never buy again. Similiar situation, I guess, to the forum discussion on tyres with companies not being considered after bad experiences that might not be a common problem.

Still got a 1980's JVC , erm, "hi -fi " :D:P

• Founding Member
3 hours ago, PTR200S said:

LHad a lot of JVC in the past and pleased with them all, Sony was a different matter,  anything I got didn't last beyond a couple of years so would never buy again. Similiar situation, I guess, to the forum discussion on tyres with companies not being considered after bad experiences that might not be a common problem.

Still got a 1980's JVC , erm, "hi -fi " :D:P

Got to say It's been Kenwood for me from the Trio-Kenwood days....Alpine were the most rated in the car audio industry (along with Nakamichi and Becker) but just did not offer as many features other manufacturers would offer for the same price. I've had my Pioneer for 5-6 years and got to say it's a quality piece of kit. Amazing how much head units have gone down in price......something like my Pioneer would have cost £400 plus 20 years ago. 

The kit someone goes with is very personal and sometimes is down to the type of music listened to and also the format/media required. 

• Like 2