Subscriptions & Donations ×

Radio/ Head Unit/ Speaker Chat & Upgrades Accord Coupe 2.0 3.0 V6

hughezee

• Site Subscriber’s

Goes without saying, you'll sort the sounds in your car but if you need a donor car to try ideas out 😉 I'm your man... I didn't even have Bose!

I do however have a set of Focal components for the front in a box at my lockup. One day. One day.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Hello folks ! My coupe didn't come with bose speakers but factory one. I only have an aftermarket head unit of 4x50w. I can get a pair of oem Bose 6x9 speakers ( 39120-S84-G11 ). Do you know how many ohms they are and if they may work nicely with my factory setup ? or it's recommended to be used with the whole Bose system package only ? And finally do they sound that good ? Thanks for your input guys ;) 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I did replace my BOSE speakers but went back shortly after as I was having resonance issues with higher power speakers, they're good all-rounders if you're not planning on using a sub they're a good compromise. Word of warning though they're low impedance 1 or 2-ohm can't remember exactly, so if powered directly from a head-unit could cause issues as the majority will only do 4ohms but defo worth buying if they're the right price...

• Like 2

Not planing using any sub. That's what i read somewhere, they're apparently 2 ohms as you mention. What kind of issue may i have if using with a standard head unit supposedly working at 4 ohms ? Sorry if a dumb question but this isn't my well known topic of mine... 

• Like 3

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, KingK0ng said:

What kind of issue may i have if using with a standard head unit supposedly working at 4 ohms ? Sorry if a dumb question but this isn't my well known topic of mine... 

Heat would be my biggest concern, some good head units are 2ohm stable but don't declare it as its more likely to fail under warranty...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

What Stu said ^^^^^ and also some head units are particularly sensitive to low impedance speakers so will go into short-circuit shutdown resulting in silnce. There are units available to match the impedance but obviously these aren't without losses.

If you're using a head unit that doesn't say it's 2 Ohm compatible, play it safe and go for 4 ohm speakers, even if it means changing brand, there are a lot of good quality speakers out there to choose from. ;):D

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 1998 1999 2000 2001 Accord Coupe Rear Speakers "REPLACEMENT"
  • The topic was pinned
  • 2 months later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

I should have fitted a new stereo head unit by now. It was an EBay purchase a couple of weeks ago and it arrived promptly 😀. Unfortunately the adaptor didn't despite both coming from the same supplier 😒. It looks like I'm going to have to ask them to send another.

The radio in the original has always been iffy, it sounds like it has a dodgy connection to the aerial. That didn't matter too much as I mostly listened to music off my phone via a cassette adaptor but the cassette player packed in. That left the CD changer but that has jammed. A new unit was the easy way out, I'm looking forward to 21st century in car entertainment 😁

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, davebrads said:

I'm looking forward to 21st century in car entertainment 😁

Coolio, also don't forget the centre dash needs to come out and cut the orange wire on the ISO adaptor. 👍

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
17 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Have you got an external aerial or is it built in to the rear screen?

The rear screen, which is apparently the problem. I just use a radio app on my phone, so it's not too much of an issue.

• Like 1

• Founding Member
9 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Does the heated rear window work and if so, do you get interference on the radio when using the HRW?

I get alternator whine all the time Dave and Its amplifies when the heated rear windscreen goes on. Just haven’t got round to sorting it after install my car audio system. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:
11 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I get alternator whine all the time Dave and Its amplifies when the heated rear windscreen goes on.

Sounds like you have an earthing and/or screening problem Ahsy, possibly in the aerial amp. Usually they're mounted under the rear parcel shelf so the earth problem may simply be a corroded connection where it bolts to the parcel, whether it's via an earth lead or the case of the amp.

After that it's probably down to a solder joint inside the unit but an easy test to see if it's the aerial amp causing the alternator whine is to unplug the aerial lead at the amp unit. Move the cable as far as you can from the amp and take it for a drive and see. It's possible it might pick up a bit of stray RF so you may hear some whine still but should be greatly reduced, if it's still present then the cause is probably at the radio end.

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Mines not a whine. It's just really poor reception.

14 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Does the heated rear window work and if so, do you get interference on the radio when using the HRW?

Back to my original question ^^^^^^ then?

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s
On 7/8/2020 at 12:08 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Back to my original question ^^^^^^ then?

The rear window heater works fine - no interference when it's on either. It's just really poor reception.

Stu said it happens with different head units sometimes, I've had both Pioneer and Kenwood in there and both have been the same.

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 7/8/2020 at 9:43 PM, Kelvin said:

Stu said it happens with different head units sometimes, I've had both Pioneer and Kenwood in there and both have been the same.

The Sony unit in my coupe is fine, but its a few years old now and newer Sony unit in the oddy is piss poor reception, but saying that the older Pioneer and Kenwood units worked fine as well? After fitting a brand new proper aerial in our former shuttle all was great until I fitted a new Pioneer unit, new stuff is crap it's not isolated to the coupe...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I have to say the newer radios do seem to be a problem....is it this the "new" dab stuff instead of FM ?

Anytime someone around my area complains about reception  , ditching the dab station and going FM solves the problem. 

Although many people swear dab is great, around here, its piss poor. Even my mate who had a new A8 eventually got angry with his factory dab and got some sort of FM unit converter thingy instead. 

I don't really care for the radio stations these days, full of shouty , stupid, phone in type shows or equally crappy LONG advert breaks in between some , admittedly,  good music on some stations between adverts.

For me a standard radio will suffice,  the Bose in the Coupe is great for what I want.

TVR ? Radio ? , naw,,,  that has it's own loud soundtrack !!!

I know nothing about what a good radio system does so can't comment beyond that ! 🙄

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Site Subscriber’s

I had a Becker head unit for a while and the radio reception on that was seriously good. Same Ariel as the previous head unit, a high end Alpine thingy but dear me, the Becker wiped the floor with it on radio. Not a lot in it when it came to Cd playback mind.

I think part of the issue for my coupe is being so flipping low compared to SUVs and living on the very bottom of the Nene valley floor. That's useless for DAB and even after returning to FM in the current Kenwood unit, it's still crap when I get near home.

Currently, adventure podcasts and Fever333 are my go to accompaniment, so it matters little anyway 😀

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

I've put my new head unit in. It is a Pioneer SP-H10BT "mechless" unit, that is it doesn't have a CD player, or even any way of connecting a CD changer. Since this was pretty much how I was using the old Bose unit it seemed the best way to go. It has a tray that slides out the front and flips up to hold your phone, and there's an app on the phone which works as an extension of the display. It comes with a microphone and a button to allow you to make voice calls using voice commands. It all seems to work quite well and it isn't bad looking either, not being overly garish like some units.

pioneer.jpg

The phone holder totally obscures the climate control display and most of the buttons, but as that is generally a set and forget item that's not a great problem. The tray can be folded down with the phone on place to allow access to the controls anyway.

I had a bit of trouble removing these screws :

screw.jpg

There are 4 of these and they were very tight. I couldn't get enough torque to shift them with a screwdriver and the sockets on my ½" socket set were to big to fit past the metalwork. So I dug out my trusty £1 bargain which I got from a local pound shop which was small enough to get to the screws but allowed enough torque to loosen them.

tool.jpg

• Like 2