Subscriptions & Donations ×

Radio/ Head Unit/ Speaker Chat & Upgrades Accord Coupe 2.0 3.0 V6

hughezee

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, CharlesM said:

That's helpful (answer and size).  I'll keep an eye out for some upgrade ones on the bay etc.  No hurry now with the fronts done, but the rear ones do make a difference.

You're welcome, plus I'm enjoying all these little tweaks your making to the car, keep up the good work :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Founding Member

Couldn't resist this purchase today and all I wanted to do is go to the shop for a demo. I just happened to ask if they'd price match an online price and after some deliberation they said yes!!!! I couldn't believe it......so I thought I'd make the purchase. 

These are Focal PS 165FX 2 way components comprising of a 16.75cm woofer and a tweeter and have had rave reviews and have awards to their name. They've been around for a while now and have come down in price hence why I pounced on them.

I just need to work out how I'm going to install them and what length I want to go to in order to seal as much of the doors as I can so that I can get close to the optimum performance from the mids/woofers. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators

Nice purchase m8, now just as important as the speaker choice what amplifier will you be powering these with ^_^ only ask as they have low sensitivity and I assume you will be bypassing the factory loom and re-cabling them as well?

• Founding Member

Anything above 90 db is considered to be high in car audio but I would never waste these on a built in amp on a stereo. I will run these off an old 2 channel Phoenix Gold or Kenwood amp I've had for years but will am undecided which will power the fronts and the sub. Previously I had the PG running the front MB Quarts and they sounded sweet and crisp. I had the 6x9's running off the head unit before as rear fill but I might buy a 4 channel amp to run the fronts and rears. I also have a Diamond Audio 12" Sub in a sealed enclosure. 

I will be running new cables from the battery to the rear to run the amps which I'll place on the back on the seats as I did before. They will be fused in the engine bay and also in the boot and the power will be split to the amps using a splitter in the boot along with the earthing. I will also place the crossovers next to the amps on the back of the seats. As discussed with you Stu I will also be hooking up a 1 Farad Cap in the boot next to the amps. It's just thought of taking my seats, carpet and consul out to lay everything that puts me off as I don't have a drive and it will just take forever to do. Let me just think about it for a bit.

All in the thinking stage at present.

The double Din is on hold Geoff although I saw some lovely new models today:)

• Like 1

• Administrators

The 91.3dB is pretty good in any audio terms, but its a combined specification which includes the tweeter ^_^ the main driver is in the low eighty's so powering them from the head-unit would be a huge compromise as you already know ;) just hope the amp you use has enough juice to power the them correctly :lol:

Now I'm thinking of putting some Audax (also French) drivers taken from some pro audio cab's and might fit some TM025F13 tweeters in place of the originals on the dash, I never like to mix pro audio with in car entertainment due to higher efficiency of the drivers and problems with reflections & cancellations ect so the Audax should prove less troublesome :rolleyes: Well saying that I have modified fane acoustics driver with a 10mm xmax, which could be ideal for sub bass :wacko: I would need some serous power just to get it to burp though :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Founding Member

Just wanted to share the car audio install I started a couple of weeks ago.

Components used:
Kenwood KAC 921 2 channel amp purchased in 1991
Phoenix Gold XS2300 2 channel amp purchased in 2002
Stinger 4 and 8 gauge power/earth cable
Stinger RCA cables
100% Oxygen Free Copper speaker Cable 
12" Diamond Audio Dual Voice Coil 2ohm subwoofer
Pioneer 8400BT head unit CD/Tuner/SD Card
Pioneer 6x9 3 way speakers on the rear shelf
Lanzar 1.6 Farad Capacitor (yet to be wired up)
Also waiting to be installed are Focal PS165FX component speakers for the front doors but the door panel need to be modified to accommodate them.

The install is a bit messy and I will make an amp board later to make it look presentable. I also have an alternator whine which needs to be investigated and I feel it's more an earthing issue. 

The sound comes from the rear which I hate so am just looking for the sound from up front after installing the Focals. Will sound pretty impressive

I ran the power cable along the drivers side of the car and under the drivers seat. The amp trip cable along one side of the centre consul and the RCA cables along the other side of the centre consul. Both sets of speak Cable was run along both sides of the car....you will see that I managed to use the factory rubber trucking joining the doors to the body to also run the speaker cable through which helped retain the stock appearance and protected from the elements. All the cables were run separately to avoid picking up any interference so therefore I am confident that the interference is earth related. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• Administrators

Nice work mate, nice to see a cap' installed, although I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new genuine Honda battery, you would be surprised on how much noise & hum just vanishes, also insulating the connections on the amps will clean up the 1200Hz >18000Hz range. The alternator whine doesn't sound good :wacko: and would you happen to know whether its the denso CJU89 unit you have or the better CLG68 ?? 

• Like 1

• Moderators

When you connect that beefy cap up Ahsy you may find the alternator whine disappears. It could also be an ignition whine as well - check the suppressor caps on your coil and igniter. Might also be worth fitting a cap under the bonnet on the power cable to minimise voltage fluctuations and also create a sort of pi Filter in the supply line with the power cable being the inductor part of the Pi filter.

Certainly a nice looking set-up, should sound good when it's all done! ;):D

• Like 2

• Founding Member
12 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

When you connect that beefy cap up Ahsy you may find the alternator whine disappears. It could also be an ignition whine as well - check the suppressor caps on your coil and igniter. Might also be worth fitting a cap under the bonnet on the power cable to minimise voltage fluctuations and also create a sort of pi Filter in the supply line with the power cable being the inductor part of the Pi filter.

Certainly a nice looking set-up, should sound good when it's all done! ;):D

Thanks for the advice mate......like everything in my life.....I will just add the finishing of the install to my list of things to do! 

A weekend of carpet cleaning ahead of me now.......what joy! BTW NOT the coupes carpets.....household! 

• Like 1

Hi fanatics!

Right, just a bit of advice/agreement here really.

To be honest since fitting my Pioneer HU I am moderately pleased with the sound of the system overall - suits my purposes.

The only thing that is mildly lacking is a bit of 'Tops' from the rear - plenty of Bass and Mids coming through.

Anyway, to be honest I don't want a blasting sound machine, I just want a bit more fidelity really - anyway, what I want to do fit fit these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351899327428?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know not the best or biggest, but look to fit my requirements - well on paper at least - and are withing what I want to spend.

But one question I do want to ask is where is the best place to get the Honda Speaker Connection Adapters? (These): 

1xyxbQi.jpg

Thanks in advance.

• Founding Member

You can't go wrong with Rockfords Bill. I personally have 3 way Pioneer 6x9 which give me a lovely balanced full range sound and were perfectly powered by the head unit until recently changing the power source to a Kenwood amp. 

All I would suggest is that you check the mounting depth of the speakers as the boot lid bar thingy may catch on magnet and worse still not allow mounting.

i cannot advise you where to get the adaptors....Stu or eBay maybe able to help. 

• Like 2

Thanks AhsyV6.

This is exactly what I wanted to check as I am not too familiar with the brand.

As far as the fitting goes I'm pretty sure they will fit ok going by the dimensions given on the Rockfords site.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/support/knowledge.aspx?kbsrc=http://rftech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rftech.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1123&p_li=&p_topview=1

Thanks again.