Subscriptions & Donations ×

Rover 800 & 827 Projects or Purchase Suggestions “LINKS"

hughezee

• Moderators

Found this on a re-direction from the Rover 800 forum, i don't really get on Autoshite much (if at all) so it's pure chance i found it! It's a rare-ish 820iSE, basically a Sterling without the leather and cruise but looks a halfway tidy beast, last owner for 20 years!

http://autoshite.com/topic/21676-rover-820i-se-for-sale/?p=819225

Not sure if it's auto or manual but with a little TLC could be a good machine.

• Moderators

Spotted on ebay, a pre-production prototype 827 coupe :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161815766480?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Originally registered on a private plate (had to be a management car i reckon!) although it has the correct originally allocated plate now, this was one of 17 827 auto coupes made before production officially started. There's a thread on the rover forum with more details about this car being a pre-production car (and it's 16 stable-mates) with the original reg and private reg, chassis number etc started by a guy who has done loads of research into things like this.

If i had the money, i would buy it simply for the provenance but alas, Mr Camelot wasn't kind to me last night! I still have one of the other 615 827 auto coupes so still a happy bunny.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when i saw this little gem of a 620 Si auto appear on fleabay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fake-Subaru-The-ultimate-lads-mobile-Rover-620-SI-/161840027963?

Apparently it's toured Europe at 100+mph as part of a Crumball Rally and still runs as sweet as a nut. The advert itself is quite amusing as well.

• Moderators

In fairness i've seen a lot of cars like this fetch good money on the bay but i do agree it's criminal to use a relatively rare car for it - after all the whole idea is to use a cheap banger, not a borderline classic.

That 620 is actually quite tempting except for the distance involved and the fact it will need a complete repsray. Even doing a budget DIY respray, it's still going to come out at about £200 just for paint etc, not that i actually know much about spraying.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

One for Stu maybe? This is a Mk1C 827 Vitesse auto, very rare in itself and in that lovely Moonstone Silver. It needs the rear part of the front subframe replacing but comes with the parts and a genuine reason. I know this car quite well having done some work on it, it's had plenty of new bits over the past 2 years and has been well looked after.

Here's the link anyway, see what you all think :

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13688&p=136573#p136573

The mileage is high (last i knew about a year ago 238k) but the engine is tight, sweet, no smoke/rattles etc and it does everything it should as does the gearbox. It had an unexpected part-change of fluid (Triple QX ATF+ while it was still Z-1 compatible) about a year ago as well as a replacement rad and a new pair of Lambda sensors at the same time.

• 3 months later...

hi--I don't know whether this is of interest  or even Honda engined,but is available for around £250 at a salvage yard in Devizes-Grist.It can be found on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-ROVER-2-5-STERLING-BARNFIND-/182004456313 it is showing as "ended"but tha yard has said it is still available.looks tidy enough-shame for it to disappear?

• Like 2

• The topic was pinned
  • Moderators

I spotted that one when it was first listed - it does indeed look like it was parked in a swamp! Also worrying that they haven't tried starting it - there could be serious immobiliser problems, even if they have the fobs and if it does try to start, the fact it hasn't been run for what looks like most of its life doesn't bode well for the engine or gearbox.

It's a shame in many ways but sadly looks more like a scrapper than the one i'm breaking for bits at the moment! At least i know that one runs! :lol:

• Like 1

• Founding Member

No MOT for 3 years so you're right Dave, probably not even started since 2013. 

Registration number: T284DWL

• Vehicle make ROVER
  • Vehicle model STERLING AUTO
  • Date first used 4 March 1999
  • Fuel type Petrol
  • Colour Blue

MOT history of this vehicle

• Test date 12 April 2012
  • Expiry date 11 April 2013
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 99,785 miles
  • MOT test number 8572 2340 2153
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    Nearside Inner Track rod end ball joint has slight play (2.2.B.1f)
    Offside Inner Track rod end ball joint has slight play (2.2.B.1f)
    registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)
  • Test date 3 April 2012
  • Test Result Fail
  • Odometer reading 99,739 miles
  • MOT test number 1858 1459 2090
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
    Offside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)
    Service brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
    Brakes imbalanced across an axle (3.7.B.5b)
    Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive (7.3.D.4)
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    Nearside Inner Track rod end ball joint has slight play (2.2.B.1f)
    Offside Inner Track rod end ball joint has slight play (2.2.B.1f)
    registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (6.3.1d)
    Parking brake: parking brake efficiency only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.B.7)

• Moderators

Nothing too scary there Geoff except that 3 years have passed in between - the sills could resemble a paper doyley by now!

I do happen to have a good 2.5 KV6 whose cambelts were done at 51k and the mileage is now 61k if anyone fancies rescuing this one. The rear brake problems will be down to the old problem of some numpty adjusting the handbrake cable to meet handbrake efficiency because the auto adjusters aren't working because the correct pad-change procedure hasn't been followed. Either that or the calipers are well and truly siezed as a result of the same!

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Nice! Still on English plates too (do they still have different plates in NI Steve?) and KV is a Northampton plate originally :

http://www.newreg.co.uk/dvla-number-plate-identifiers/

Reckon it's due a cam belt and water pump change soon though, not on mileage but purely on time.

We have different plates here (as on my Coupe), usually three letters ending in a "Z" and three or four numbers.  If you bring a car over from GB it used to be optional to keep the English plate or get a new NI one.  Recently they moved all of the vehicle registration stuff for over here to Swansea so now I believe the option of getting a new NI reg when you bring a car over from GB has gone but you still get a new NI plate for cars that are first registered here.  NI dealers bring a lot of used cars over from the "mainland" as some call it because cars are usually cheaper in England and there is more choice.

• Like 2

• Founding Member
  • Moderators

I'm surprised it went so cheap - the engine and box are worth more than that alone!

However the fact it wants 2 new outer sills and various rust problems sorting on the body would knock a hole in what anybody would be prepared to pay for a resto project and as i think it probably went for more than a scrap dealer/breaker would want to pay i think it is likely it will be restored. Thanks to the efforts of someone on the Rover forum, new sills are available so that's a good start.

Another one ripe for a bit of spanner twirling in the name of restoration is :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-ROVER-620-TI-2-0L-TURBO-GREY/112261456525?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D777003%26algo%3DDISCL.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160608105753%26meid%3D3591a2f8d01e42d6a7d22b63a552538c%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D192082271122

s-l1600.jpg

I doubt the head gasket has actually gone, it's unusual for a T-series, it probably needs a new rad and expansion tank (Volvo tank conversion) and once sorted would be a real sleeper. ;):D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...