Subscriptions & Donations ×

Rover 800 & 827 Projects or Purchase Suggestions “LINKS"

hughezee

• Moderators

Me too! One of my favourite soapbox rants is that VED should be included in fuel duty, even if it meant paying 1p/L extra. That way there's no evasion of VED (aka road tax except it's not been spent on the roads for 40+ years!) and you don't have either commit yourself to a monthly direct debit or stump up a large wedge in one (or two) go at some point through the year.

Besides, that way all the reps and similar that are doing inter-galactic mileages each year in their cars would pay in proportion to their use as would the little old lady who has a Fiesta that's more arthritic than her because it only gets used once a week to collect her pension and a few tins for Tiddles.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Recently listed, not the best ever of my listings but it's my friends car (once owned by me) up for grabs. Not quite a Sterling but as close as so has always been known as "The Imposter" :

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/282464208372?

The all important link so you can bid and buy it! ^^^^^ ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators

Looks great all things considered and I like the red door car inserts :)

99p starting bid @ £275.00 quick revision on that buddy ;) easily done, as you read over the advert you can't help but try and avoid timewasters but upping the starting bid...

• Like 1

• Moderators

I know what you're saying Stu and yes a 99p start would get a few more bids but he wants a lot more than £275 for it so hopefully a slow start with some frantic last minute bidding will get him what he wants for it. Meanwhile hopefully the timewasters won't bother............ ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

The plan was to start it at 99p, ebay then suggested a very weird sounding £273.56 which i changed to £275 then when i realised that was the new starting bid, tried changing it back to 99p and thought i had.................

Ebay thought different and listed it at £275 start price...............

As you say, definitely worth a lot more than that, i know he's hoping for a minimum of about £1600 andgiven the way 800 values are rising at the moment i think that's about right, given the wheelarch is scruffy but if the wheelarch was at least sound rather than bubbly-rusty then i would say a lot more. We all know that could be sorted relatively cheaply but the buying pubic look at it as costing mega-bucks to sort even slight bodywork problems. :rolleyes:

As such being realistic comes into play so i think he's after a fair price. Not sure if he's of sound mind at the moment though as he's planning on using the money to fund getting his MG ZT-180 back on the road with its fragile KV6 engine and JATCo box :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

• Moderators

Looks good at first glance Pete but needs a fair bit of £££ spent on it in the near future :

Check the MOT history of a vehicle

Registration number: T615UFS

• Vehicle make ROVER
  • Vehicle model 820
  • Date first used 31 March 1999
  • Fuel type Petrol
  • Colour Blue

MOT history of this vehicle

• Test date 7 April 2017
  • Expiry date 6 April 2018
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 22,558 miles
  • MOT test number 5026 7967 5658
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    fuel filler neck corroded
    offside rear tyre inner edge worn
    Offside Rear Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)
    Power steering component(s) has slight seepage from a component Rack (2.3.3b)
  • Test date 22 November 2013
  • Expiry date 26 November 2014
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 22,542 miles
  • MOT test number 5958 5642 3302
    Nearside Front Upper Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
    oil leak
  • Test date 21 November 2013
  • Test Result Fail
  • Odometer reading 22,542 miles
  • MOT test number 5568 6522 3354
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Nearside Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Nearside Front Upper Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
    oil leak
    n/s mirror glass cracked
  • Test date 27 November 2012
  • Expiry date 26 November 2013
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 22,515 miles
  • MOT test number 2570 8253 2309
    offside rear tyre soft
    front wipers smear slightly
  • Test date 1 November 2011
  • Expiry date 14 November 2012
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 22,508 miles
  • MOT test number 3350 2560 1355
    Rear Brake pipe slightly damaged (2.2.D.2b)
    Oil leak
  • Test date 31 October 2011
  • Test Result Fail
  • Odometer reading 22,508 miles
  • MOT test number 2754 8420 1386
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Rear fog lamp tell tale not working (1.3.1b)
    Offside Front Steering system has a road wheel fouling a part of the vehicle (2.2.D.2a)
    Rear Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
    Rear Brake pipe slightly damaged (2.2.D.2b)
    Nearside Parking brake: parking brake efficiency only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.B.7)
    Oil leak
  • Test date 3 November 2010
  • Expiry date 14 November 2011
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 22,916 miles
  • MOT test number 4337 8730 0441
  • Test date 4 November 2009
  • Expiry date 14 November 2010
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 21,705 miles
  • MOT test number 9233 9840 9348
  • Test date 6 November 2008
  • Expiry date 14 November 2009
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 21,280 miles
  • MOT test number 9738 1121 8390
  • Test date 6 November 2008
  • Test Result Fail
  • Odometer reading 21,279 miles
  • MOT test number 5923 8111 8396
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Rear brake disc has restricted free movement (3.5.1j)
  • Test date 15 November 2007
  • Expiry date 14 November 2008
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 20,726 miles
  • MOT test number 5112 3991 7305
  • Test date 20 April 2006
  • Expiry date 19 April 2007
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 17,972 miles
  • MOT test number 8100 3071 6103
  • Test date 18 April 2006
  • Test Result Fail
  • Odometer reading 17,972 miles
  • MOT test number 2523 6830 6458
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Nearside Power steering ram(s) leaking from a failed component (2.3.3b)
    Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)

The other major problem is the location - a lot of cars from the coastal areas succumb to the dreaded tinworm prematurely and it seems worse in Scotland for some reason. ;):D
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Obviously off the road for a while too, only thing i would be concerned on is the fuel filler hose rest of the failures prior to 2013 "should have been fixed " :rolleyes:

The big but , as you say is corrosion ,, ( had a nissan from glasgow with the ultimate rot problem :() though no mention on the mot it may have been blind Bob that conducted it  :P

• Like 1

• Moderators

It says in the listing it was off the road due to the owners ill health, the fuel filler necks are now being remanufactured :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-800-820-825-827-fuel-filler-pipe-neck-brand-new-rare-item-remanufactured-/132168723670?hash=item1ec5deacd6:g:bawAAOSwezVWziQD

s-l1600.jpg

so that's less of a problem in terms of availability. When i needed one for my Coupé they weren't available and i'm not sure i would have paid nearly £200 for a few lengths of (admittedly nicely put together) pipe. As such i cut out the rotten section of the filler neck (they always go at the top, between the elbow in the main pipe and the actual filler) and fitted a stainless steel marine fuel filler with some marine fuel hose to connect it all in. Extremely unlikely it will ever rot and it cost me about a third of the price!

The worrying part for me is that it's been off the road for 4 years or more. It may have just passed the MoT but i know from bitter experience (and once used it to my advantage) that all the suspension joints stiffen up so that there is little or no play, even in worn ones (see - told you i used it to my advantage! :lol: ) which then start rattling, shaking and falling apart once in use.

It's a nice looking car but i suspect it will be a money pit. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good news on the fuel pipe :D as you say though cheaper to make your own.

Not much chance of stiff ball joints getting through the mot at my station ,,,they use the new "shake 'em up" mechanical system and believe me it finds them :rolleyes:

Rusty brake pipes must have been sorted along with other minor stuff on the list, the big concern is rot but no mention of that in the chassis ...

As you say, it could be a money pit but i dont think its as deep as some of my projects :(

• Like 2

• Moderators

All of that is ringing true for me today, changing the fuel tank and fixing the last two leaks on the VOlvo.

I swear the fuel tank and it's mountings, level sender/in-tank pump unit etc was designed by a mushroom growing gynaecologist!

Half the time you're in the dark getting covered in sh!t, the rest yoou're through a small hole feeling your way to the right spot! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Rover 800 & 827 Projects or Purchase Suggestions “EXTERNAL LINKS"
  • Moderators

It's a lot of car for a fair whack of money - JDM spec 827 Sterling, fresh import (should be here now), needs a UK speedo obviously (or calibrating into mph) but could be good for someone that wants a trailer queen - it looks too nice to use everyday! ;):D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Rover 800 & 827 Projects or Purchase Suggestions “LINKS"
  • Moderators

Looks like it might need a full surgery job...mentions corrosion in sill etc, you just know its going to be much worse when poked. Abs out, scabs, power steering, dicky electrics .......hmmm,,,,,,

anything more than a few hundred quid to buy is more than the spade to start digging the money pit......

Anyway, just where are all these barns full of vehicles !!!!!   😄    

• Haha 1

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Abs out, scabs, power steering, dicky electrics .......hmmm,,,,,,

Probably wants the reluctor rings cleaned and maybe a pair of front sensors, fluid in the PAS reservoir would help and re-solder the fusebox. Remanufactured sills are available and at least it hasn't got the dreaded air-bags!

Odd that both the ABS and PGM-Fi lights are on together, i wonder if someone has done the old dodge of linking them? Usually done to get round a problem they either can't afford or don't want to bother sorting, it could be something as simple as fuse "S" just needs pulling and refitting a minute later. Also looks like the brake reservoir is dry - that could cause the ABS light to come on under self-test if the modulator is dry.

It's got potential to be a good car with less than a grand spent on it and then do a rolling resto after for all the "silly bits".

That said, it also has the potential to be an absolute money pit, if that corrosion has gone further than the outer sills.

On the upside, it looks like it has the ultra-rare 16" RoverSport wheels - worth a pretty penny on their own! Even the 15" versions are worth a few quid!

Overall it looks complete (except the grille, there are a few around and the hard part of replacement has been done! ;) ) so half the battle is won on that score.

Bit of a mixed bag but they're getting rare now, eespecially the SLi versions! ;):D

• Like 2