Subscriptions & Donations ×

Rover 800 & 827 Projects or Purchase Suggestions “LINKS"

hughezee

• Moderators

All good points Dave but still a potential for that money pit that both you and I and a good few more have been in....the sill corrosion would be the possible killer.  As you say maybe the other points can be addressed relatively easily but lost fluids are leaks, leaks are failures of pipes, seal, etc ,. potential money pit and if someone has cobbled the dash lights then who knows what else they have "fixed" !!!

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

the sill corrosion would be the possible killer. 

The outer sills are relatively easy to sort - if it's gone to the inner sills, although not the end of the world, it's more of a problem as you're starting to get into floorpan areas and so on.

Front ABS sensors are known to fail, mainly because they are exposed, grease round the sensors wasn't factory fitted so the aluminium brackets corrode then the corrosion crystals grow and crush the sensors. Sounds far-fetched but is exactly what happens.

The low fluids could be a combination of time and a very tiny leak. Recommissioning with all new fluids, filters, timing belt and water pump should show any real problem areas, mostly they're easily fixed. Chances are the PAS is low because the rack gaiters which carry the transfer pipe have failed, about £12-15 a pair but have to be the Blue Point/ADL (something not right there, can't think of the right brand, sure Stu knows) gaiters as the universal ones on fleabay won't fit and work.

Biggest problem has to be the sills, once they are sorted, there's a very high chance recommissioning would see it roadworthy, plus of course resolder the fusebox! The rest can all be sorted later. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, hughezee said:

The limousine, coachworks company  who converted it probably got hoodwinked by the dealer selling the original car(s)

I have a feeling i'm missing something - was it listed as an 827 originally then? I do know of a late 825 Limo that was originally registered as an 827 by a sloppy salesman or similar but not sure if it's that one. It popped up on ebay some time back as an 827 because ebay go simply on the number plate, lots of "Questions" pointing out it was an 825 with the KV6 boat anchor! :o

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, hughezee said:

I'm sure you could drive anywhere in it

I doubt it Stu - that's got the horrible K(ettle)V6 lump in it so it might not drive anywhere! :o

Gearbox ECUs are also a favourite for premature death as well as the engines and trying to get parts for the KV6 in the 800 is like trying to find unicorn turds. You can get some bits from Kia dealers (they used it in the Carens) but their stocks are dwindling as well.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I doubt it Stu - that's got the horrible K(ettle)V6 lump in it so it might not drive anywhere!

I did suspect it was the KV lump, nothing bulletproof about that even if you did shoot it 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2