Subscriptions & Donations ×

Rover 800 & 827 Projects or Purchase Suggestions “LINKS"

hughezee

• Founding Member

Tidy 825 manual, the KV-6 is a pretty sweet engine when it's working well. it sounds pretty epic at full chat as well. My brother has a MG ZT190 and it's a good drive, bloody small inside mind.

Anyway this would be a bit of a Q car I reckon, like a 620Ti but with extra Werthers  :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-825-/261300527772?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cd6b9a29c

$(KGrHqNHJEgFI-j3HVl3BSTsWjCwIg~~60_12.J

Look at the Velour!

$T2eC16hHJGkFFm5pBdGHBSTsWiZV!Q~~60_12.J

• Moderators

Nice but needs work - look at the front bumper on the passenger side. Needs a new slide bracket from the look of things, they're about £11 each, brand new. The scary thing is what's under the bonnet - a very early KV6 in imminent needs of the cam belt being changed - special tools are essential for changing the belt on this engine. They can be hired or bought for a lot of money. Then you have the coolant related problems such as inlet manifold gasket failure, head gasket failure etc. This must be one of the very first production KV6s and almost certainly won't have the MLS gaskets so HGF is almost a certainty. That said, it's only done 49k miles over 4 owners and isn't suffering dash lift yet.

Can't (cow)shed any light on the colour either as it's not one i'm familiar with. Something else slightly worrying is the low-ish steering fluid level. The racks are known to leak on these (odd because the 2.0 that shares the same rack hardly ever does) so it may have a PAS fluid leak. These aren't always easily spotted and only picked up on MoT which is due fairly soon.

Doesn't seem right without a leather interior somehow either!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hmm, that was the one that went through Anglia Car Auctions in Kings Lynn a couple of years back for £3495. It was in beautiful, factory fresh, showroom condition but some idiot decided to add an "827i" badge to the left hand end of the tailgate. Being a Sterling, the only badges on the boot should be the Rover Longship badge in the centre and a "Sterling" badge on the right hand side. That has devlued the car by about £2-3k IMHO opinion as to return it to original condition, it needs the 827i badge removed and any resulting damage to the paintwork fixed. Being White Gold (GMK) or possibly White Gold II (GMN) it is notoriously difficult to match so would almost certainly need a full respray. It's right on the changeover point for White Gold and White GOLD II but going on the pics above i'd say it's the later one. If you look carefully at my signature pic you might be able to see what i mean as my pair are the two different colours.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

It would indeed - especially with a garage full of spares! That said i have my eye on another gold Mk2 Sterling auto that has appeared recently near me. Will have to wait and see what happens with it, the owner may be leaving the country in a month or two. :);)

• Founding Member

Something of a rarity here, almost 100% Honda DNA except the engine but don't let that put you off :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-ROVER-620-Ti-TURBO-200BHP-1996-55K-FSH-PROJECT-2-KEYS-FOLDER-ETC-/281560073100?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:GB:3160

T Series is a great lump and it's even better with a Turbo bolted too it. I've driven both a 600Ti and a 220 Turbo and they were both great fun.

No wait the 220 was terrifying, I was trying to block the overpowering a of a good chassis from my mind, torque steer was interesting and it just couldn't cope with the speed in corners.

I've always wanted a Ti, I need to start counting my pennies now.

No MOT since 2012 though acccording to the DVLA website

Vehicle enquiry
Registration number: R79 COU
✔ SORN
✗ No MOT

Expired: 23 February 2012

New keepers must get tax before using the vehicle. Please be aware that if you have taxed, made a SORN or had an MOT in the last 5 days these details may not have updated.

Vehicle details
  • 6 month rate £126.50
  • 12 month rate £230.00
  • 6 monthly by direct debit totalling£120.75
  • 12 monthly by direct debit totalling£230.00
  • Monthly by direct debit totalling£241.50 (Monthly payment of approximately £20.13)
  • Vehicle make ROVER
  • Date of first registration 30 December 1997
  • Year of manufacture 1997
  • Cylinder capacity (cc) 1997cc
  • CO₂Emissions Not available
  • Fuel type PETROL
  • Export marker No
  • Vehicle status SORN in place
  • Vehicle colour RED
  • Vehicle type approval Not available

Incorrect details?

• Moderators

Only takes a few minor tweaks to get even more power out of the T-series turbo as well. When it was being developed to go into the 800 (as a 4 cylinder/2 litre/high power option to gain sales in countries such as Italy) the rumour that it was heavily detuned so as not to embarrass the V6 came about. How much truth there is in that rumour i don't know but i've seen many examples on things like ebay that are reputed to put out 250bhp+ with relatively minor mods such as a manual boost controller.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I quite like this one at £565, if only I had the cash in my pocket I'd be going to look at it.

That said though, it might not be the best bargain as it does need a little work and the paintwork seems to be a different shade of red on each panel.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501270475787/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/model/800/make/rover/radius/1501/postcode/ct92tb/usedcars?logcode=p

827-mki_zpsroyjw5lt.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

That's a very "together" looking car and with only about 60k on the clock (allegedly genuine and documented) is barely run in. You could also decat it to release 25bhp to up the power to 193bhp although unless the cam belt has been changed recently i would budget for that including a water pump and spring for the tensioner.

Other than that it just needs a button cover for one of the dash switches and a front indicator lens - i think the odd coloured panels are down to shadows and local lighting where the photos were taken.

Well worth the money IMHO!

Hmm, I would love a MKI 800, especially an 827, even the cloth interior doesn't bother me.

Looking on ebay I can see that a replacement indicator (unit not just lens) is around £15, the button could wait until a wiper unit or aircon unit come up cheap (as they all use the same buttons), cambelt/waterpump at around £100 (might be cheaper I didn't look too hard).

So with a little TLC that would give a nice condition MKI 827 for £680 + £35 for the train.

Wonder if I could talk the other half into letting me look at it, looks like they're a dealer so might take the credit card  :lol:

There also about 15 minutes walk from the train station.

• Moderators

When i said indicator lens, i meant the whole assembly - the outer lenses have a habit of becoming detached from the rest of the assembly. If you can get one for £15 that's useful. I probably have a spare button cover somewhere for the rear wiper switch, if not i have the complete 3-switch + blank assembly in an "H" plate 827 SLi.

You can do the cam belt, water pump, tensioner spring (XHM463 - £1.31 from http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-XHM463) and antifreeze for less than £100. Euro Car Prats do blue antifreeze for £12.90 ( http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/winter-essentials/antifreeze-coolant/blue-antifreeze-coolant/?523770471&0&cc5_865 ) and then there's the water pump and timing belt :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361019348749?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Pump-Honda-Legend-HS-KA3-KA4-Rover-825-827-2-5i-2-7i-V6-/231067653443?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35ccb49543

So for about £70 the cambelt is done and dusted for another 96k miles. It may have been done recently and if they had any sense the water pump would have been done too so you may not have to do it - certainly for a while.

• Moderators

This car (unsurprisingly) has also appeared on the Rover 800 forum and the suggestion ws made that the seller might take £500 - certainly worth a haggle with credit card in paw!

Also if you don't want to slum it on cloth seats, i know the whereabouts of a nice set of grey leather seats.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Grab it while the grabbing is good :

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13076

I know it's a 800 coupe and even has some MoT left. Actually i just realised it's not even an 827 - it's an 820 Vitesse Sport (2.0 16v turbo, 200bhp) so could be worth saving anyway. Hmm, feel a bit silly now posting the link to what i thought was an 827 but i'll leave it there for interest. Could always retro-fit a C27 and autobox i suppose............