Subscriptions & Donations ×

Rover 800 & 827 Projects or Purchase Suggestions “LINKS"

hughezee

• Moderators

That green Sterling is definitely a honey - if i had the money and space i know where it would be by now! As for the silver Mitsubishi Evo (the DVLA list it as being silver!!! :rolleyes::wacko: ) i don't think i'd give it driveway-space in that condition!

• Founding Member

Perhaps I'm being thick....there's paint you can buy that is made to look like rust?  You're right there Dave, takes all sorts and it's obviously been thrashed to death and the paint is hiding a load of problems, wonder what the HPI check says??  :wacko:

• Moderators

Apparently there is Geoff - i've never heard of it either and can't imagine why you'd want to do it to a car! Reckon you're right it's been thrashed - he withdrew it from sale once because he likes playing with the 300bhp that it's got.

• Founding Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_rod

It's a style choice, bloody stupid one in my view but it's up to the owner. It certainly doesn't mean it's not spot on Mechanically.

I'd want my rat look car working perfectly as I wouldn't want to break down and have to listen to the people laughing at the paintwork..........

• Like 1

• Moderators

Very interesting link Richie - thanks. Don't know if it's the way i read it but it comes across as predominantly American in the explanation and use of the term. I know by-and-large most terms translate across the Pond word for word but i get the impression something has been lost in this translation. It seems more along the lines of the USA rat-rod is built from various bits whereas the UK version (from what i've seen anyway) seems more like "let's get a car, trash the paintwork, stick naff (often steel or very scruffy alloys) wheels and a stupidly big spoiler on it but (usually - not always though!) make it go well".

It may well be spot on mechanically but i'd still be too embarassed to give it driveway space unless it was a "work in progress".

• Moderators

I find it hard to equate the word "Style" with the "rat-look" if that means trashing the paintwork. Granted 30 years ago i had a battered Mk3 Cortina that went like stink but had a dent on every panel - and that was before it hit the tree!!!

The current rat-look definitely does look awful with a capital "F", you're right! ;):D

Just noticed the wheels on that Civic "Caracature" :

new%20coupe%20wheels.jpg

Think i'm going to cry now! :(

• Administrators

:lol: :lol:   To the casual observer, the car looks like it been at the bottom of the sea for years!!  Well, I've learnt something new today.  I think I'll leave Purple's glorious paint well alone! 

No offense to the Rovers or any owners of them  :mellow:  subliminal message with all this rust look talk could be sore point :huh: maybe it's wise to split this topic :lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators

No offense to the Rovers or any owners of them  :mellow:  subliminal message with all this rust look talk could be sore point :huh: maybe it's wise to split this topic :lol:

I think  you're pretty safe leaving it how it is Stu - the last Rovers to rust spectacularly were the SD1s but i've seen some mint, original examples of those and to be fair, BL had the problem solved by about 1980 when they switched to proper British Steel instead of cheap Russian or Italian stuff.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I think  you're pretty safe leaving it how it is Stu - the last Rovers to rust spectacularly were the SD1s but i've seen some mint, original examples of those and to be fair, BL had the problem solved by about 1980 when they switched to proper British Steel instead of cheap Russian or Italian stuff.

Was the Montego the exception that proved the rule Dave  ;)

• Like 3

• Moderators

I watched that too but it also got a mention in a recent Practical Classics (for the record breaking auction hammer price) - can't remember which month but it was a month or two back now.

Always nice to see cars that have a historical significance returned to the road (or museum in this case which i think is a shame as it needs to be used) and saved from the great car park in the sky.

I keep humming and haaing about doing a similar thing to RetroRich and restoring an Acclaim as it was the first real collaboration between BL/Austin-Rover/ARG/Rover and Honda (even though it was really just a rebadged Mk1 Ballade) and as such is a very significant motoring milestone. I'd really like to restore an Avon Acclaim (especially the turbo) but if not i'd settle for restoring a replica Avon Acclaim.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Ex-Police SD1 epic repair thread - Look no further.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/131089/1986-rover-sd1-3500se-police

Not that there is much left of the original car now...

Guy deserves a medal, theres a similar thread on a Rolls as well and the always entertaining thread by MrBollox who seems to have a fondness for fixing Rover R8s and Maseratis.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I double-checked the PC edition when the Police SD1 is mentioned - May 2015 edition so the current one, page 26 and there's actually an interview with the curator of the Grampian Transport Museum http://www.gtm.org.uk/ about the museums involvement with the car, past and present.

Guy deserves a medal, theres a similar thread on a Rolls as well and the always entertaining thrread by MrBollox who seems to have a fondness for fixing Rover R8s and Maseratis.

Great thread Richie - nice find! Also nice to see a Honda-powered (ex-Met) Police Pursuit vehicle managed to creep into that thread (page 6), owned, maintained and cosseted by a serving Met Police Officer.

• Founding Member

Guy deserves a medal, theres a similar thread on a Rolls as well and the always entertaining thread by MrBollox who seems to have a fondness for fixing Rover R8s and Maseratis.

Blimey, you ain't wrong there Ritchie.  There's more rust than paint, it's gotta cost more to renovate than the car's actually worth, surely?  If it was a rare Maserati or Ferrar then yes, but a Rover SD1?  The guy deserves the Medal of Honour!

• Moderators

It's not so much about the cost of the repairs being more than the car is worth Geoff, it's more about the fact that he couldn't go and buy another one in a restored state. In fact, finding any SD1 for sale these days is a bit of an achievement although i have heard there's a few on fleabay just now. Factor in the early models propensity to rust and it's even harder to find an intact one. Although the later versions were much better in this respect, they are still at least 30 years old now and as such are likely to have at least some of the dreaded tinworm.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Good point Dave.  Perhaps I've been spoilt with Honda's but I don't see the point in buying an absolute rust bucket then spending loads of time, effort and work bringing it back to it's former glory?  You've obviously got to have the know-how, expertise, equipment/tools and the room to work on it too.

No...I'd much rather drive my car than spend my time faffing around.  The bloke who sold it must have been rubbing his hands and skipping down the road when he got rid of it. 

• Like 1