Subscriptions & Donations ×

Rover 800 & 827 Projects or Purchase Suggestions “LINKS"

hughezee

• Moderators

I have to agree Geoff but the other things with this one are that it was originally a Police car and as such, relatively unique. For all we know this guy might be one of those that are into emergency vehicles and there are some people around that start restorations with no expertise, know-how, equipment etc and produce amazing results.

Another way of looking at it is i've always had a bit of a hankering for a Ford Corsair Savage - the Jeff Uren converted 3.0 V6 version. Thin on the ground when they were new, they're almost extinct now and unless i had telephone number proportions of disposable dollar (I wish!) i almost certainly couldn't buy one. As such if i ever really wanted to go down the route of owning one, i'd have little option but to buy a standard V4 and convert it myself, restoring it as i went. Granted i'd get a lot of satisfaction from building it myself but to be honest, these days i just couldn't do it, even if i had the tools, space etc. Also as i've never driven one i probably wouldn't like driving them given that the newest Corsair would be about 45 years old by now and i'm far too used to more modern machinery!

• Moderators

Not really a Rover this one, more of a mongrel (with a purpose though!) but still powered by a Honda/Triumph/Rover engine :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131474348825?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No MoT on it which becomes obvious when you read the listing - enjoy!

• Founding Member
  • Moderators

Lol!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  Having read the article on aronline, i know which of the two vehicles would be likely to be most reliable! ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Too many pedals for me Richie! Got lots of potential though. Besides i have recently acquired a new project, haven't had time to post anything about it yet but i will soon.

Might be a bit of a surprise (SHOCK!!!!!) though! ;):D:lol:

• Founding Member

Too many pedals for me Richie! Got lots of potential though. Besides i have recently acquired a new project, haven't had time to post anything about it yet but i will soon.

Might be a bit of a surprise (SHOCK!!!!!) though! ;):D:lol:

Eye Eye David, you can't leave us in suspenders. Pray tell.  :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Can't imagine you in stockings and suspenders Geoff!!! :o:blink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I'll start a new thread for it but for now here's a few clues :

"XJ" features in the model name

The engine is 3960cc and a straight six

It's a 4-speed auto

It has "Lattice" alloy wheels

First registered 9/3/95 (i think!)

Dark green metallic paintwork with a sort of pale biscuit leather interior

Oh yeah, it's made by a company whose name begins with a "J"......................................

• Founding Member

Can't imagine you in stockings and suspenders Geoff!!! :o:blink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'll start a new thread for it but for now here's a few clues :

"XJ" features in the model name

The engine is 3960cc and a straight six

It's a 4-speed auto

It has "Lattice" alloy wheels

First registered 9/3/95 (i think!)

Dark green metallic paintwork with a sort of pale biscuit leather interior

Oh yeah, it's made by a company whose name begins with a "J"......................................

Is it a Dodge Charger?  Der der der der der der der der der der der der.  :D

• Like 1

• Moderators

Is it a Dodge Charger?  Der der der der der der der der der der der der.  :D

No, but "correct" manufacturer in as much as they're all owned by Chrysler......................... :D

Forgot to say, found a bit of paperwork entitled "Jeep - the new Dodge" - reckon that makes you right!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

luv the colour B)

Which one??? the NSR door is a different colour to the rest! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have to admit though it is a nice colour (in general) but £200 is a lot of money for a pair of headlamps and a new grille! Probably a few other bits i could use but most of it is no good to me and it needs too much work to see it roadworthy again IMHO. Someone may take it on as a "labour of love" but i suspect this will end up being broken by the seller. :(

• Founding Member

Which one??? the NSR door is a different colour to the rest! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have to admit though it is a nice colour (in general) but £200 is a lot of money for a pair of headlamps and a new grille! Probably a few other bits i could use but most of it is no good to me and it needs too much work to see it roadworthy again IMHO. Someone may take it on as a "labour of love" but i suspect this will end up being broken by the seller. :(

Price drop to £170, see your tempted now  ;)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Price drop to £170, see your tempted now  ;)

Factor in the collection costs and it's still £230 minimum. A lot of money for something with not very much that's useful on it and little chance of turning a profit if repaired and sold on.

Being (potentially) a bit snobbish about it, i don't think it's a proper Sterling as the Sterling always had the biggest, smoothest, most powerful (normally aspirated) engine in the range. While the 2.0 T-series can be a fine engine in its own right, it doesn't have the necessary smoothness and power becoming of a "range topper".

Don't forget i grew up in the 70's/80's when the Van Den Plas/Ghia/Sterling/CD top of the range models ALWAYS had the biggest engine in the range or the biggest two engines in a multi-engine range such as the Jaguar XJ Series models which had the 2.8, 3.4, 4.2 and 5.3 (V12) and the VDP (latterly Sovereign) option was only available on the 4.2 and 5.3 and likewise the Cortina Ghia was only available with the 2.0 and 2.3 engines (although at the very end of the Mk5 you could get a 1.6 Ghia but NEVER a 1.3 Ghia!!!!!!) and even the forerunner to the 800, the SD1 only offered the VDP option on (initially) the 3.5 V8 and then extended it to cover the 2.6 straight six.

These days you can buy a Nissan Microbe Carlos Fandango top of the range model with a moped engine almost. People forget the extras on the range topping models such as air con, electric windows, seats etc all consume power one way or another and this has to be made by the engine in one form or another. Get all the extras going and you'd be lucky to move a car like that as all the engines power would be used supplying them!

• Like 1

• Founding Member

The only rover 800 I would ever consider is the 827 plane a simple ;)

T series turbos are very underrated, 600T with one is as much fun as any Vtec, and it rustproofs the engine bay at the same time.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

lol did say the 800 in particular bud ;)

To be honest they are just as quick in an 800, but the handling isn't quite the same.

220 GSi Turbo was in turns exhilarating and terrifying, woohoo in a straight line and ohshitohshitohshit when it came to dragging it round a corner with mega torque steer