Subscriptions & Donations ×

98-02 Accord Coupe 3.0 V6 Air Conditioning System Discussion

AhsyV6

• Site Subscriber’s

We'll it's working this morning - maybe all the disuse for at least 5 years has given it a temperamental behaviour pattern for now  😂

On Friday, there was no icy blast, today - a proper chilly one.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Site Subscriber’s
6 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Excellent news !

I would keep it in auto mode for a while, make sure its had a good workout.  You should hear it, aircon pump,  cutting in and out regularly.

Can't say I've heard it cut in once, but then I don't know what I'm listening for.

Not working this lunchtime that's for sure 🤔

• Site Subscriber’s
17 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

What is your temperature set at?

I'm trying 18 (full blower) and 19 (minimal blower unless full sun) plus hotter beforehand.

Worked fine for an hour last night but this morning, not a chance of 'icy blast'.

I'll stop boring everyone now. It'll either work or it won't. There's no leak, it was filled last Oct and was still full when it was emptied last week, so it's something somewhere 😂

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I'm trying 18 (full blower) and 19 (minimal blower unless full sun) plus hotter beforehand.

There's a big clue there. If you're only getting minimal blower action at 19C, the Climate Control is sensing that the cabin temperature is close to 19C, that means even if you drop it to 18C, it's not likely to kick the A/C in. When you say hotter beforehand - how long for? Does the cabin actually reach the hotter temperature indicated by the fans slowing down? If not, chances are it won't try and cool when you set the temperature to 18C as it doesn't need to.

As a point of interest, if you select the screen as the outlet (defog the screen), it should kick the air-con in (you should hear a clunk as the compressor clutch engages), divert the air to the screen and put full heat to the screen, without altering the set point dispalyed on the screen.

You mentioned your girlfriends air-con before, that sounds like a manual system to me, i.e. not Climate Control.

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
22 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

What is your temperature set at?

When it's hotter, 27c. This is for a good ten minutes, I'm sweating in a t-shirt, hoodie and a jacket and the fans have cut out. 

I'll try the screen clear setting, cheers.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

When it's hotter, 27c. This is for a good ten minutes, I'm sweating in a t-shirt, hoodie and a jacket and the fans have cut out.

When you drop it to 18C from there, the A/C should kick in fairly easily but it does take time for it to "pull down" or start blowing icy cold air. While the A/C has been off to heat the car up with the heater, the gas has stabilised at ambient temperature, it then needs to be compressed back into a liquid by the compressor and released into the evaporator (looks like an extra heater matrix in the heater box but is the same part as the coils in your domestic fridge/freezer that make it cold) at a controlled rate by the TXV - Thermal Expansion valve.

As the liquid refrigerant is relased through the TXV, it takes heat from the surrounding area (the heat box air intake) to evaporate into a gas so cooling the incoming air. As you can imagine, this isn't an instant process as the incoming air will be at ambient outside temperature. Now comes the grey area - if the outside ambient temp is cooler than your setting, there's a strong chance that it won't kick the A/C in unless you operate the controls manually and even then, i think there is an override within the system to prevent people getting frostbite.

To complete the refrigerant cycle, the gas is then sucked back into the compressor and compressed into a liquid again.

• Thanks 1

• Site Subscriber’s

I get all that - my journeys this week have been a minimum of half an hour, up to 1½hrs and I've had plenty of time to play with it now. So whilst some say cabin temperature is all that matters, it doesn't. Being a black car that's sat in bright sunshine matters hugely too, as does the ambient temperature when stood in traffic or at speed.

I completely understand why you probably think I don't understand how it works and I'm probably expecting too much from the system but it's hit and miss, no matter whether it's on A/C or on full auto. There's a glitch in the system somewhere, it's as simple as that and that's fully understandable when the A/C hasn't worked for so long. Put your hand on the  feed pipes and when it's working, they're cold but other times (with the same settings and blower action) they're not at all cold. My girlfriend's pipes are numbing in comparison.

If I'm honest, I'd now sooner sort the sounds in the car with some Focal speakers rather than spend a wad on the A/C.

As far as frostbite goes... I've slept in snow holes, icy caves and done enough Scottish climbing winters to cope with the girlfriend's Chrysler 😀

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's an odd one, it's almost as if the cabin temp sensor is either lazy or not working - lazy would be my guess. Probably clogged with dust and fluff but i don't know where it is on the 7th gen so can't point you in the right direction to clean it. That could be a cheap and easy fix if that's what it is.

Now i know you've been in the car for a few extended periods of time and able to "play" properly with it, it puts a different perspective on it. I thought you were spending 10-15 minutes at lunchtime having a play and not giving it enough of a chance and expecting too much as a result - sorry about that!

May also be worth checking/renewing your cabin filter if you haven't already, that can slow the incoming air down so the intake side of things thinks it's cold enough when it isn't. ;):D

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2015 at 10:54 AM, hughezee said:

B__6003.thumb.jpg.f2653a4a46c90029fafa67

What differences are there between the A.C. systems in the CG2 and CG4?  Since the engines are different, I would think that the compressor is in a different place,  so the pipes must be different. Otherwise, are they identical?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

Is that with the aircon on or off?  My coupe seems to blow cold with aircon off unless I wind it up above an indicated 25. I think the sensor is faulty .... but do not know how to check. 

We talked a bit about this same issue a little while back but I never resolved the issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulS said:

Is that with the aircon on or off?  My coupe seems to blow cold with aircon off unless I wind it up above an indicated 25. I think the sensor is faulty .... but do not know how to check. 

We talked a bit about this same issue a little while back but I never resolved the issue.

Aircon on in "full auto" mode....

• Like 2

• Administrators
22 hours ago, DeanoCoupe said:

It seems too cold!!! Anything below 23 it's just too cold, anyone else had this?

The Odyssey had a similar niggle recently, sometimes it's related to outside air pressure but maybe worth checking the heater core valve is working correctly, e.g how warm does the car get on full heat and how long it takes after the car is warmed up, would be the best way to check...

• Like 2

• Moderators

I thought you were joking! Don't forget that the sun has been out a bit lately and that warms cars up quite a lot. The temperature sensor is at a point where it's likely to get warmer than we would think so blows out colder than we'd expect. This is most obvious for the first few minutes, especially if it's been parked anywhere the sun can shine in the front, due to the sunlight sensor warming up.

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

I have mine at at 24 most of the year and it is comfortable but is nowhere near 24°C. On very hot days when I'm driving into the sun I have to turn it down to 22 to offset the extra heat coming through the windscreen. Perhaps the position of the sensor means it always overestimates the cabin temperature? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

It could also be we are underestimating the real temperature? WOuld be intersting to have an independent thermometer somewhere in the car that is fairly neutral.

Hmmm strange hey.... I always associate 24c as warm or even hot.. especially indoors

• Like 1

• Moderators

If I can throw my two penn'orth in .

When I got my Coupe, over two years ago now, I also commented on the temperature controls inaccuracy and like davebrads I run it at around 23/24 during the winter. That is, the reading on the LCD, not the actual temperature.

The summer needs about 21c on readout to maintain comfortable cabin temperature if the aircon is on....

If I recall others mentioned the inaccuracy of the Honda Coupe readout too.

• Like 1