Subscriptions & Donations ×

98-02 Accord Coupe 3.0 V6 Air Conditioning System Discussion

AhsyV6

• Administrators

Well my A.C is working again and I did have tiny leak appear on one connection for receiver drier, but with using all new after market seals which need time to settle.  I was thinking if I am going to have tiny leak let it be within easy access :lol: anyway the moist patch of ectoplasm didn't get bigger and the sniffer tool didn't beep after cleaning it off, so it seems to have plugged itself now.

Also I will do a topic on TXV replacement soon as I've got lots of pic's to sort through :rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 28/01/2016 at 2:03 PM, hughezee said:

Well my A.C is working again and I did have tiny leak appear on one connection for receiver drier, but with using all new after market seals which need time to settle.  I was thinking if I am going to have tiny leak let it be within easy access :lol: anyway the moist patch of ectoplasm didn't get bigger and the sniffer tool didn't beep after cleaning it off, so it seems to have plugged itself now.

Is the ectoplasm intended to be a leak-fix, or are you just lucky that it self-sealed?

• Like 2

• The topic was pinned
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Often wondered about this stuff, does it really work or is it just masking the smell that originates from wherever?:huh:

I have never used one of these as never had a "smelly" air con unit.... however, I do change the cabin filters regularly and its unbelievable the smell that emanates from one of those, .....:wacko:..........usually after I have just bought the car with the FULL SERVICE HISTORY version !

Be interested to know how you get on, say a couple of weeks after you have used it, is it still doing the business?

• Like 1

Used the A/C in anger for the first time, (yesterday) and it was what I would call adequate.... Improvement possible though. 

Can't find any evidence it's been re-gassed and the previous owner found it like I have done - adequate.

So it could most probably do with a top-up. It'll have to wait until after the MOT. :(

But otherwise all good! :)

NB. Not sure if this is normal, but mine starts so quickly that I hardly have time to register the fact and release the key!! So now I just 'twitch' the key. Does all yours do this..?? 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Mangoman said:

Used the A/C in anger for the first time, (yesterday) and it was what I would call adequate.... Improvement possible though. 

Can't find any evidence it's been re-gassed and the previous owner found it like I have done - adequate.

So it could most probably do with a top-up. It'll have to wait until after the MOT. :(

But otherwise all good! :)

NB. Not sure if this is normal, but mine starts so quickly that I hardly have time to register the fact and release the key!! So now I just 'twitch' the key. Does all yours do this..?? 

Re your air con, mine is ice cold and blows a storm BUT the big improvement is changing the cabin filters, seemed to improve mine somewhat:D I think you have still to do yours?  Ps Stu been doing his too !

Mine starts quickly too, I presume you mean engine not ac :P,,, trouble is you then start to turn key even less and suddenly it doesn't start first time :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Yes Pete, I sort of agree about the Cabin Filters... Mine could be years old! But that will have to wait until after the MOT, although personally having A/C in cars since 1995, I'm pretty sure the Gas could do with a boost. Again, it could well be the original stuff in there...???

And the starting is not a problem, nor a complaint - just an observation. I'm just used to engines turning more than a few milliseconds before starting I suppose. It's literally like "Chi-Vroom".... Not all the time, but most.

Just takes me by surprise when it does... 

• Moderators

Yeah, might be pressure has dropped a bit, at least your compressor still kicks in so probably at least 20 in system. Not sure what the pressure should be in coupe but maybe twice the compressor start up one, just guessing though....

Stuuuuu oooo.?.,,! :lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think you could be right about the gas in your A/C Bill but i would change the pollen filter first. I topped up my A/C the other day with one of the kits you can buy and in the past when i've done it, i've only gone to a bit more than it took to get the A/C clutch to kick in. This time i put a bit more in and the A/C is icy-cold now! Definitely a bonus in this weather! Currently about 37C on my garden thermometer and about 35C showing on the cars external temperature display.

As such the Coupé is my current "weapon of choice" if i need/want to go anywhere except for walking the hounds that defaults to the Volvo of course. The A/C works in the Sterling (always has) but the compressor clutch bearing is so noisy people down the road look round expecting to see an F-15 behind them! :o

On most cars the minimum pressure the A/C will work with is about 35psi, more usually about 45-55psi which is a bit of a "rule of thumb" and generally not vehicle specific. There's a bit of tolerance in all the LP (Low Pressure) switches and the pressure does vary a bit with temperature (Boyles Law and all that malarkey) but the best way of keeping your A/C working effectively and leak free is to always use it. Put it in "Auto" mode and just change the temperature, the system will do the rest. If you need to demist your windscreen, just press the button for the screen and let the system do the rest - it's amazing how much quicker it clears with hot, conditioned air than with normal fresh air! ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

On most cars the minimum pressure the A/C will work with is about 35psi, more usually about 45-55psi which is a bit of a "rule of thumb" and generally not vehicle specific.

I have had ac running compressors at 18 ,,, but they don't blow cold !!  

My pressure gauges for the ac systems start to turn amber (beware) at around 45 plus and beyond 50 is not recommended but as you say not vehicle specific, wonder what Honda specified on the American side?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kag8 said:

My A/C doesn't blow cold, could have used it when stuck on the m25 for hours yesterday, was sooo hot! :( 

Might only want pressurising... never had a Honda compressor fail to start once the pressure is up BUT can the system hold the pressure for long is another matter,,, seals on the radiator pipe connectors seem to be the ones that go in my experience or as Dave, I think, said the low pressure valve can be suspect...over usage !

• Like 2

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

I have had ac running compressors at 18 ,,, but they don't blow cold !!  

My pressure gauges for the ac systems start to turn amber (beware) at around 45 plus and beyond 50 is not recommended but as you say not vehicle specific, wonder what Honda specified on the American side?

They certainly won't blow cold on 18psi! Are those gauges the ones on the refill canisters you can but in your local motor factors Pete?

The reason i ask is when i learned A/C err....... "some time ago" :blush: i was taught what i've put in the above post. I should perhaps have qualified it a bit with the temperatures we're experiencing at the moment but to be honest, with it being so long ago and you being fairly certain, i thought i would double-check and did a search online. Here are two that i found :

UNDERSTANDING YOUR GAUGES

typical_pressure_3.jpg

http://www.vehicleairconservices.com/page/gauge_readings

Temp-pressure-chart-33776F1.jpg

http://acprocold.com/faq/r-134a-system-pressure-chart/

Thing is those charts and gauge readings are specific to R134a gas, not vehicle specific and will be found all over the world in whatever uses R-134a gas be it car A/C, your fridge, freezer, fridge-freezer, refrigerated warehouse, frozen warehouse, the fridges and freezers in supermarkets, the air-con on the QE2 and other ships, the A/C in the tractor the farmer is using to harvest the crops - you name it, if it uses R-134a those are the readings you're looking at.

I don't know if the pressures will change for R-1234a Solstice gas when it makes it's horrendously expensive entrance into the world but i wouldn't think so. Apparently the molecules are smaller so are more prone to leakage and just for fun, the average refill will be in the region of £200 at todays prices. :o Whether that will come down as more people use it i don't know but the average lifetime for a fill is going to be 2 years and it will then have leaked out. :wacko::rolleyes:;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

Quite an interesting gauge info there re faults :) although the first set of gauges clearly shows a 35psi reading at 5C, ? the table shows a more appropriate starting point of 18C with 25/35 psi on the LP side.

Yes the table you show re the R-134a is the one (or similar)to what i was was thinking.

In this country the "ambient temp" is on the low side, don't forget we never used to need AC :lol: unlike the States! hence my thinking about what figures they would use for our U.S. Coupes.... or does it matter? each manufacturer sets up the ac to appropriate figures when here? I have no idea :blink:

So the table is showing 35 /45 21c to 24c having our temps much above that in this country, as a whole / general is unusual.... but it was bloo&y hot again today :rolleyes: so pushing 50 psi is probably a good figure to go at.

Interestingly, I didn't realise that even running at 21C is only around 35/40 psi.......

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Currently about 37C on my garden thermometer and about 35C showing on the cars external temperature display.

Crikey, were where you to get this figure!!  I thought it only touched 30 in the capitol today?

37C in sheltered garden I could go with but 35C on your car external display? surely not :lol: are you currently touring, sur le continent!

• Like 2

I got to this today it's peak. And this is in a correctly positioned Thermometer/Sender in the shade all day and away from any structures that might radiate heat.

cx1nNHr.jpg

And that was hot enough with the humidity! I hate humidity. I was used to a Dry Heat in Africa at 5000 feet altitude 18-20 on average. So you would need a Temperature of about 36*C to feel like it felt today at 30...

Actually, if you have Dry Bulb Temp of 30*C+ and a Wet Bulb Temp of less that 3 Degrees difference, (ie 27*C) it is considered Heat Stroke Conditions.

You need a Whirling Hydrometer to measure those. I used to use one when I worked in the Gold Mines in South Africa as an Environmental Control Officer 2km+ below the surface where it gets VERY HOT! The rock face is around 60*C, sometimes as hot as 140*C at a Virgin Face!

I think that is why I hate it so much, humidity that is.

Sorry to be a nuisance - but there seems to be loads of missing Posts...???? I've got Email notifications but the posts are not on the Forum...

Like this one:  

kag8 said:

:(

Just hit another car. From behind. At a roundabout. Thought she had gone far ahead. Turns out she had stopped or gone really slowly so banged in to her rear bumper. Got scratches on my front bumper and my number plate held by double sided tape is just about to fall off.

Not much else damage except im now hearing that knocking sound I complained of when my droplinks were changed. Weird. Impact was minimal. Will get that checked out. Might be my bonnet.

Just worried about my minimal no claims bonus. A shame to lose it on such a minor incident :(

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

hence my thinking about what figures they would use for our U.S. Coupes.... or does it matter? each manufacturer sets up the ac to appropriate figures when here? I have no idea

2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Thing is those charts and gauge readings are specific to R134a gas, not vehicle specific and will be found all over the world in whatever uses R-134a gas be it car A/C, your fridge, freezer, fridge-freezer, refrigerated warehouse, frozen warehouse, the fridges and freezers in supermarkets, the air-con on the QE2 and other ships, the A/C in the tractor the farmer is using to harvest the crops - you name it, if it uses R-134a those are the readings you're looking at.

Reckon you missed that bit as you were in shock about this bit :

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

37C in sheltered garden I could go with but 35C on your car external display? surely not :lol: are you currently touring, sur le continent!

First, my garden thermometer isn't terrifically accurate - it still showed about 6C when i had icicles hanging from it! :o Second, the car was in full sun BUT not on the external sensor which is about 6-7" above the tarmac where the hottest air is. Even when i went down the shop where it's usually warmer (village high street, lower in altitude than where i live) it was still showing 33-34C and that was with colder air blowing past the sensor!

For some reason we seem to get extremes of temperature here that aren't recorded but which are on a par with Santon Downham where they are recorded - similar altitude and only a few miles as the F-15 (or crow!) flies. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Sorry to be a nuisance - but there seems to be loads of missing Posts...???? I've got Email notifications but the posts are not on the Forum...

Like this one:  

kag8 said:

:(

Just hit another car. From behind. At a roundabout. Thought she had gone far ahead. Turns out she had stopped or gone really slowly so banged in to her rear bumper. Got scratches on my front bumper and my number plate held by double sided tape is just about to fall off.

Not much else damage except im now hearing that knocking sound I complained of when my droplinks were changed. Weird. Impact was minimal. Will get that checked out. Might be my bonnet.

Just worried about my minimal no claims bonus. A shame to lose it on such a minor incident :(

it was me Bill, sorry for any confusion and it was moved to another active topic linked below which got a new title as well ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators

What Stu said ^^^^^ and nowhere in the instruction does it mention setting the A/C controls to "Recirc" so the cleaner/freshener is drawn through the A/C system from the inside of the car. If the recirc isn't used then it's just an expensive, short lived air freshener. ;):D

• Like 1

I had one of the local mobile air con service vans come round today morning and perform a "full service and refill". Didnt look like a full service but for 30quid I wont complain if it continues to blow cold for a year as they claimed it would as a minimum...lets see how long it actuallly lasts though.

Heard the heatwave is due back and didnt want to get oven roasted again if stuck in traffic so hopefully this will be worth the money.

• Like 2

Lol. Im not sure what a full service entails but it seemed too quick for a full service. The print out showed:

Gas recovered 0g

Oil recovered 0cc

Vacuum 3 min

Oil injected 5 cc

Gas injected 550g

Gas avail 5080g

Apparently they also added tracer dye and dod an anti bacterial clean.

It all happened to quick and had to tend to the kid so couldnt spectate continously. Maybe im just a skeptic haha but for now it blows cold so im happy.

They guy also said AC doesnt cause much more fuel consumption as people think. Probably equal to the cost of air drag from keeping windows open. I much prefer fresh air but will try use it regularly to keep the stuff circulating as advised. :)

• Like 2