Subscriptions & Donations ×

98-02 Accord Coupe 3.0 V6 Air Conditioning System Discussion

AhsyV6

3 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Are you sure? :o

Yep, it started out as a grinding/whirling sound. Thought it was alternator at first until I took belt off and reached down to the compressor and felt lots of play in the pulley. It started to stick so bad that my belt snapped on way home from work. Now I've got the compressor out it's so seized it's hard to spin the pulley. Bearings maybe?

• Moderators

Sounds very like the compressor clutch bearings to me. Doesn't make the compressor a write-off though usually.

When the A/C is off, the compressor clutch isn't engaged so no drive to the compressor shaft and the clutch spns  freely.

When the A/C is on, the clutch is engaged and the clutch bearing is used, they can be seriously noisy if they are worn and most common ones are available quite cheaply.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

A.C refrigerant and PAG46 oil refresh today, I confused the guys at ATS as the system was still full 😂 it was reassuring I don't have any leaks but it is getting on for three years since I last had it done.

20220413-133432%5B1%5D.jpg

The manufacturer recommends replacing their product every two years and I would say they're spot on. The A.C wasn't as cold as should be and the compressor wasn't behaving as it should, so the high and low pressure was out of spec. Anyway, with the new refrigerant, everything is back to normal now and it just shows how important the lubrication is within the system.

get-it-done-your-coupe-needs-you.jpg

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, hughezee said:

The manufacturer recommends replacing their product every two years and I would say they're spot on. The A.C wasn't as cold as should be and the compressor wasn't behaving as it should, so the high and low pressure was out of spec.

The other thing Stu that helps is that when the system is evacuated to remove the gas and oil, it also removes any moisture within the system and also within the reciever-dryer. This means there is less moisture present in the system that can freeze and cause blockages reducing the efficiency and making the numbers on the guages do strange things.

Good to hear the Coupe system is leak-free abd once more performing as it should. ;):D

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
51 minutes ago, hughezee said:

A.C refrigerant and PAG46 oil refresh today, I confused the guys at ATS as the system was still full 😂 it was reassuring I don't have any leaks but it is getting on for three years since I last had it done.

20220413-133432%5B1%5D.jpg

The manufacturer recommends replacing their product every two years and I would say they're spot on. The A.C wasn't as cold as should be and the compressor wasn't behaving as it should, so the high and low pressure was out of spec. Anyway, with the new refrigerant, everything is back to normal now and it just shows how important the lubrication is within the system.

get-it-done-your-coupe-needs-you.jpg

May I ask how much they charged you? My local garage charges about 95quid, blaming the cost of the gas, etc, using the Bosch system. But it only lasted 6 months, and my garage spotted no leaks either. There must be a leak somewhere. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Chrismas said:

May I ask how much they charged you? My local garage charges about 95quid

Air Conditioning Recharge Service with R134A refrigerant at ATS is £62 but the manager always looks after me. 😉 They use all the latest kit anyway, so I can't complain as it is more expensive to do it myself even with a basic kit and gauges I use.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I think mine is on the cards to do this year, still good and cold but I sometimes get the feeling it's not quite polar bear territory!!

Last time I checked the pressure used was OK but that was ,,,,oh, ,,,,erm,,, two years back ..March 20th..the last Friday before lockdown 🤪🤪🤪🤪

Protyre quoted me 65 quid last time.....

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Mine has not been working for at least 2 years.... Last time I had it done, it lasted 2 weeks.  I went back and they could not find any leaks by either looking for leaking flourescent dye or not holding a vac. However they refilled for free and it lasted just another 2 weeks or so.  As it has not been that warm most of the time, I sort of gave up... just use another car when the weather is otherwise too hot.

But I would like to know what is wrong even if I never fix it......

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, PaulS said:

But I would like to know what is wrong even if I never fix it......

Did it last two weeks in terms of noticeable temperature change or did the compressor stop working due to low pressure? The majority of databases don't include the coupe and most garages will default to the 1998-2002 accord in general which is 500-550. This has a smaller capacity than the coupes 625-650, so the majority get underfilled and don't last long in terms of operation rather than an actual sIginifanct loss.

I have mine filled to 625 which is the minimum for it to function on the V6 & 2.0 Coupe is 600-650, I would be more than happy to take look at this year's meet if you can make it over.👍

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founding Member
On 4/13/2022 at 10:47 PM, hughezee said:

I have mine filled to 625 which is the minimum for it to function on the V6 & 2.0 Coupe is 600-650, I would be more than happy to take look at this year's meet if you can make it over.

Thanks for this info.  I will go back again now its startingto warm up.  If still not sorted, I will happily & gratefully accept your offer of having a look atthe August meet (I am intending coming ...)

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

cold down to 6.5C under test 🥶🥶🥶🥶

Chilly enough to thermally castrate an alloy primate! :o

Think i need to do the same with my latest acquisition now i've fixed the feed to the Dual Coolant Control Valve so it's now cold, hot or anywhere i want in between instead of hot or hotter!

Ordered some cabin filters from ECP yesterday for it, bought 9 because they were only £1.26 each! :P

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Chilly enough to thermally castrate an alloy primate! :o

Think i need to do the same with my latest acquisition now i've fixed the feed to the Dual Coolant Control Valve so it's now cold, hot or anywhere i want in between instead of hot or hotter!

Ordered some cabin filters from ECP yesterday for it, bought 9 because they were only £1.26 each! :P

It feels a really big difference now, you don't notice the deteriorating level until it really isn't working properly!!!

An improvement in your heating system then !!!!

Erm, nine filters ??? !!!!! 🤣

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

An improvement in your heating system then !!!!

yes, i can now get cool air out of it! The way it's set up is both valves are open in their natural position and closed to shuit them and stop the supply of hot coolant to the heater matrices or PWM switched to regulate at a chosen temperature. The air blend flap fine tunes it within a couple of degrees.

9 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Erm, nine filters ??? !!!!! 🤣

Cheapest on fleabay for one was £13.50 delivered, i thought ECP were still doing free postage on economy delivery so divided £13.50 by £1.26 and got about 9 so ordered them. I did it in my head and didn't have my maths head on so came up with a deliberate mistake which went halfway to covering the £3.95 delivery so i was halfway right.

That said i'm sure the price had changed when i actually paid as it came out at about £17 all in.

Either way, if i changed them every 2 years, it gives me quite a few years before i have to buy more but knowing how many leaves etc there are round here, it might need changing more often!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 4/13/2022 at 5:41 PM, hughezee said:

A.C refrigerant and PAG46 oil refresh today

Hi there, i spoke with a technician that does only car conditioning stuff and he told me that except under certain circumstances compressor does not need any kind of oil maintenance as refill, flush and replacement like we do with engines or gearboxes.

I'm not well aware of airconditioning stuff so what's the deal with this pag46 oil ? Does our compressor have any plugs for drain and refill ? Didn't checked yet but is this ac compressor oil change mentionned somewhere in the Honda manual service and repair ?

• Like 2

• Moderators

The Pag oil is introduced into the system with the gas during filling at the factory and/or regassing so there is no facility for changing the compressor oil under normal service items.

However, the reciever/dryer should be renewed every 2-3 years as a service item, as such the system would have to be evacuated and the gas and oil and any sealants, leak detector dye etc is recovered. Then when the system is empty, it's safe to disconnect the old reciever/dryer and fit a new one and connect it.

Then the whole system would be vacuumed down to remove any moisture that had entered the system while it was open and confirm there are no leaks. Then fresh gas, Pag oil and if wished, leak detector and maybe sealant is added in the specified amounts and the system tested for performance.

Other than that (and obviously any other component failures/leaks) it isn't possible to change the oil in the compressor and generally isn't needed. ;):D

• Like 2

Laird_Scooby, appreciate the insight. Don't know if the reciever/dryer has been changed by the previous owner and lazy to check the services papers since they're in german which i don't understand anyway..

But even tho i never used the a/c since i got the car i think i will replace it during the a/c maintenance as a safety measure. If i correctly understand the last part the only circumstances when the compressor oil has to be replaced is leakage or disasembling ?

• Like 2