Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998-2002 Accord Coupe Insurance Cost

timberwolf

• Site Subscriber’s
4 hours ago, AcuteViewer said:

Another year another MOT.

Incidentally, my insurance is £98.73 pa with £200 excess and 5,000 miles allowance.

"Most of those miles were leisurely"

I know mine aren't - I don't think a day goes by that it doesn't hit the redline. It's what Honda vTec was made for 😀

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

13 hours ago, Kelvin said:

"Most of those miles were leisurely"

I know mine aren't - I don't think a day goes by that it doesn't hit the redline. It's what Honda vTec was made for 😀

Good lord. I can never get near to the red line as there isn't enough clear road around here. Sometimes in brisk acceleration I get over 4,000 rpm but that's rare.

• Sad 3

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Insurance time AGAIN !!!

Not had the renewal from the OFIC yet but General Accident are running a good game this year, £156 with Direct line a close second at £161....

Can't get anywhere near AcuteViewer with £98 and 5000 miles though from last year !!!!....

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

General Accident

The name of that company has always bothered me - i wouldn't want my beast involved in any accidents, never mind a general accident! :o

For a long time i've been of the opinion that the main reason for insurance is to have a document (now an online presence) to display to the POlice that your vehicle is road legal, at least to the point of third party risks.

Fortunately never had to claim on my own insurance so far but have always wondered if they would be as quick to pay out as they want me to be!

• Haha 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Ouch!!! That's more than i pay for both of mine put together! :o

What bugs me is that my TVR insures for less every year, 139 quid last year against the Coupe on 184 I think it was.

The Coupe is a quiet , refined and comfortable vehicle whereas the TVR is loud, fast and a lout on four wheels.... Beauty and the Beast in fact..... Both rare as in not a lot of them around, Coupe more so in fact but a glass fibre body on the TVR is expensive to repair with, I guess, the Coupe tight on availability of body panels.,.......

Hmmm, ok, not much in it then, now that "analysis" has been done!!!!!!!!!!!¡!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Currently sitting down..strong coffee in hand ..

Just had a loooong chat with Lancaster Insurance, very efficient but the end result was £300 quid.....🤪

Reducing mileage to 3k didn't help, no extras, no recovery, no legal, no claims protection either and with FULL no claims and no convictions tested out on the quote....still £300 !!!!!! adding swmbo to it made NO difference either ! (usually does) 

They also wanted to know how many vehicles I had access to, were they sports, utility etc.....I don't think they actually understand what a Coupe is....oh and just valued it at 1500 too, ok, I know there is no way they would pay but still.....

• Confused 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Were you insuring it on a classic policy or a normal one?

No idea, normal according to the conversation...... I left it in their hands !!! Usually the insurers generally don't seem to want to go classic until twenty years old, another year to go !

However, got Jag insured at 15 years as a Classic !!!!!! Explain that , I said....of course they couldn't...

I might give my bike insurers a go although they have a twenty five year rule on Classic bikes they recently said they could insure some moderns as Classic ....dur !!!!!!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Well, signed up with GA in the end, Churchill was another over the top quote, 181 with no extras ! car valued at £500 too !

The OFIC came back with 198 plus on renewal up from 184 last year, subsequent conversation got it down to £185...why didn't you just send me that figure?

Interesting conversation about the increase in fire and theft part of the insurance with Saga, increase excess from £100 to £250...reason, catalytic converter theft 🤪 

GA is £250 excess quid straight up..accident remained at £400 excess..., policy includes legal, car loan, windscreen, personal and a couple of other bits.

Another interesting point is they verified my no claims bonus through the "system", no messing about sending paper or loading up copy on line... done and dusted !!! WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE !!!!!

BONUS, as I ended up using Confused website to instigate it there is a £20 Halfrauds voucher headed my way, too !!!

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Should buy you a bulb or a sponge at their prices Pete! :P

Just in time for a new gallon of concentrated berry screen wash !  Sponge is good idea by the way , sick of the 99p FOAM sponges that keep being shown to me, need a REAL SPONGE !!!!

Few microfibre cloths maybe?? 

its £20 and I WILL be spending it !!!

• Clap Hands 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got my insurance "coming to an end soon" letter in the post this week. Started off with a paragraph about how poor the insurance companies are "struggling in tough times. Some are even pulling out of the market due increase in claims..." Of course that's all my fault and my no claims ever! So they're not inviting a renewal.

Local broker has found ageas offering £400. Friends have suggested the go compare and comparison sites. But i really hate their adverts 😫 the time and hassle also of offering up your details only for them to be sold around the houses and bombarded with calls and ads also isn't appealing. 

Firstly I need to get a card for the poor insurer's struggling and let them know I'm thinking of them 🙄

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

Usually to qualify for classic insurance you have to have a second car in the household. Give Lancaster Insurance a try if you have a second car for classic insurance, if they don't come up with anything, they may still give you a competitive quote for normal insurance.

• Like 1

• Moderators

If you follow the classic route be aware that your no claims bonus isn't needed.....

Try Footman James, I got really good deal on my 1999 TVR......Peter James insurance have a good record with old stuff, bikes more so but currently marketing insurance for modern stuff at new "low" prices !!!  One of my modern bikes is insured for 40 quid a year, with them, on the back of a classic insurance too.

• Like 1

Couldn't get through to Lancaster, whilst waiting i read the reviews and they got panned. Different experiences i guess.

I've ended up with a quote from direct line £187 so I'm good with that. MOT next week though so gonna hang fire and see what the damage is with that if it's condemned or not 😰

• Like 2

In the meantime I've looked into dropping some atf-u into the engine as recommended for a few days to clean it up. No ones got it in, just the Coma stuff and two shops couldn't give me an answer to which was suitable for the car if any 🙄 

Anybody here got experience of the correct coma atf? There was 3 to choose from. 

Only place I've not looked at is halfrauds

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

Anybody here got experience of the correct coma atf? There was 3 to choose from

For the gearbox, none, Comma don't appear to make a Z-1 compatible ATF.

As for Hellfrauds, they listed Dexron II-D as being the compatible ATF for Hondas that need Z-1 - don't do it! :o

If you're using it in the engine to clean things, revive seals and hydraulic lifters/tappets, most synthetic ATFs should work, i just recommend ATF-U as i know it works.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...