Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators
On 4/11/2020 at 10:32 AM, Andy Mc said:

i haven't got anything good enough to tackle the baked on brake dust 

A very strong solution of dispersable aspirin. Lots of tablets (about a dozen minimum) in a 500ml (or a litre if you're in for some prolonged cleaning) and warm-hot water to help dissove them, give it a shake to mix then spray onto your wheels.

It turns the brake dust and rust a reddish colour then give it a good agitation with a wheel brush and rinse with the hose. ;):D

If the pharmacist knows their stuff, they'll understand and if they're a petrolhead, might even allow you to buy more in one go than they are technically allowed to sell.

Maybe some proprietary cleaners are better but they're not available at present due to most car accessory and similar shops being shut due to lockdown. You can also argue if you're stopped it's medicinal supplies! :P

• Like 2

Thanks, but i think I'll go down the online route. I've already had plenty "what are you doing?" Questions from the other half with a vacant look of simply not understanding when given an answer.

Also wasn't happy to find her hairdryer poking out of the cone filter this morning helping dry it after its much needed wash last night 😁 must get some pictures sorted!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

I'm more gutted at having 3 silver wheels as the chrome one stands out much better. Not sure of the correct terminology but to have them back to the original spec I'm guessing is going be £££. 

Whats BH site?

Probably better getting your wheels blasted and powder coated, assuming you are not precious about diamond cutting.about 40 pounds a wheel.

BH is Bilt Hamber , they do allsorts of stuff for cleaning cars !!!! And also preserving them!!!

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

Well, Spex decided to play up for the first time yesterday. She's been parked up for over a month and not been started, which wasn't a problem in itself as this is fairly normal when I head off climbing sometimes.

Fired up straight away but revved a little high, eventually settling into a hunting tickover. From 1250 to 1750rpm. I popped the air intake off and sprayed some wd40 down there like Stu showed me but nothing doing. The tickover settled at 1000 to 2000rpm, again hunting from those extremes. It was rather rythmic and I think a few ravers would have happily danced to it.

I decided that this stupid bio crap fuel we have now must have evaporated in the heat of the last month and gummed something up. Putting the car into gear revealed a steady tickover of 1250rpm but still hunting in P and N. Stuff it. I drove a mile to the nearest BP station and added £15 of super to the existing quarter of a tank and then ragged it down the A45 in D3 at 5500rpm for 5 miles or so. Tickover dropped to a steady 1000rpm, so I headed as planned to my lockup to pick up all my hayfever drugs and then thrashed the V6 down some backroads for 12 miles to pick up my mail from my official address.

Sorted. Tickover back to normal (for now) and the car was running lovely as I headed back to home. Passed a Halfords, so grabbed some reddex one shot to pop in the tank and hopefully that's the car sorted as long as I make sure to use her when I have to leave home.

I know it's lockdown and I should be grateful for any excitement but I'd have rather given it all a miss. Watch that fuel lads, that's all i think it can be. Grrr.

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Site Subscriber’s
On 4/12/2020 at 11:52 AM, Andy Mc said:

Thanks, i read back and figured it out, looks good. Will look more at wheels when the world gets some normality back.

I had my wheels done properly, finished in a slightly darker silver and they cost me £300. Well worth the money. Press the arrow in the top right of the link I posted to see the wheels after.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Today was the first time for a few weeks that I have been under the bonnet due to an infestation of Robins!!!

As there seemed to be no activity I popped the bonnet, after discovering the battery was barely functional requiring a manual door key operation.....remember those,  shock horror!!!

Sure enough they had gone,  empty nest,....it took half an hour to remove the debris,  using an air gun in the orrifices and a vacuum cleaner!!

Took the battery off to go and put it on charge, promptly blew the 20amp fuse in the charger....checked the voltage  5.9 volts....its screwed...worked perfectly a few weeks ago.the TVR has also let go its battery despite trickle charging every few weeks...might be recoverable though,, the Coupe is not.

Several TVR owners have reported  battery failure recently,  overheated maybe? The Coupe has sat in full sun for weeks.....

• Like 2

• Moderators

Today is officially  HOT !!!! 🙄 

New yuasa battery arrived...could have waited to fit it, cooler part of the day, but I needed a Coupe fix!

Fired up first time , after the alarm cleared the wax out of my ears when I connected the negative lead, never had it do that before on reconnection. 

The fob wouldn't kill it but turning the key in the door lock knocked it off and reset the fob / ecu relationship  !!!

The aircon is less than efficient so needs a blow up probably,  need to get my gauge out to check it.

Anyway,  well pleased, nearly on the road again.........sat there making brum,  brum  noises and twiddling the steering wheel.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Founding Member

Finally got the rear offside jacking point welded up last  Friday - this spot was found as a friendly advisory at MOT time in January, but it waited and waited until the good weather... So next time I need to change wheels etc, I can now safely jack up the car again!  Not that any of my cars have been going far - 42 miles in total last month!

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, PaulS said:

Not that any of my cars have been going far - 42 miles in total last month!

Same here, no miles on the car at all !

Done a few in the last couple of weeks but in the van as I gradually get back to work.....in fact probably done more miles on the bikes in last three months than on four wheels,  motorised and pedal  🙂

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, PaulS said:

Finally got the rear offside jacking point welded up last  Friday - this spot was found as a friendly advisory at MOT time in January

Had it gone on the inner floor side or the sill side ? Did you weld extra plate on or manage to cut it out and start again ?

• Like 1

• Founding Member
6 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Had it gone on the inner floor side or the sill side ? Did you weld extra plate on or manage to cut it out and start again ?

It was  the OSR inner sill area only, about 18" along the back of the sill from the wheel arch. The rot was cut out and rebuilt from solid metal (not by me but by a proper welder).  The floor seemed OK - but the jacking point was quite crunchy before the work....    Other (passenger) side is fine with no sign of rust.....

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Big wash down today, no polish/ waxing yet though.

After being left for a couple of months, trashed by the tenants and the pattering of tiny feet, shat upon by flying dinosaurs,  covered in soil from the local fields, infested by spider cobwebs and all, plus to top it off, what looks to be a squirrel occupation under a wheel arch judging by the hazelnut shells..........all plus that trashed battery, it's looking more like MY Coupe  again  🙂

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
On 6/7/2020 at 9:40 PM, Kelvin said:

Cleaned the leather and all the interior yesterday, now it's not a work vehicle it's worth doing properly.

Now you have gone and done it ! Made me get on with mine too!

Today was the leather, after sitting there for a while in lockdown the hot weather and dust storms from the fields had got access via the windows I I left cracked open so everything was dried up and dirty. 

Washed the leather down first after vacuuming as much out as possible then used furniture clinic leather cleaner to get as much of the engrained dirt out as possible, twenty years old leather will never be like new but it does come up pretty well!

Then out with the leather creme, complete with the new leather smell 😉 , good lashing of that rubbed in with a cloth and leave for a day.

Tomorrow,  another  vacuum out and interior plastic clean then another coat of leather creme should get it somewhere close to an interior you can sit in and admire 😁 

• Like 2

• Founding Member
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Now you have gone and done it ! Made me get on with mine too!

Today was the leather, after sitting there for a while in lockdown the hot weather and dust storms from the fields had got access via the windows I I left cracked open so everything was dried up and dirty. 

Washed the leather down first after vacuuming as much out as possible then used furniture clinic leather cleaner to get as much of the engrained dirt out as possible, twenty years old leather will never be like new but it does come up pretty well!

Then out with the leather creme, complete with the new leather smell 😉 , good lashing of that rubbed in with a cloth and leave for a day.

Tomorrow,  another  vacuum out and interior plastic clean then another coat of leather creme should get it somewhere close to an interior you can sit in and admire 😁 

I love that fresh clean leather smell. The 20yrs of grime could have also sealed the leather(if there’s such a thing). When I bought mine it was 13yrs old and had never been cleaned and the grime was caked on and it came up like new.....no exaggeration. 

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
On 6/13/2020 at 2:16 PM, AhsyV6 said:

I love that fresh clean leather smell. The 20yrs of grime could have also sealed the leather(if there’s such a thing). When I bought mine it was 13yrs old and had never been cleaned and the grime was caked on and it came up like new.....no exaggeration. 

Amazing the colour change on your car seats as you did them, really dirty !!

To be fair I did do it about 3 years ago and it came up very well but beyond a cursory clean now and again its been left to it's own devices ! 

It was pretty much surface dirt from blown field debris but here and there was the usual dirt in the most handled places. 

I have autoglym cleaner on the shelf too but opted for the furniture clinic version for no other reason it was first to hand.    They both do a good job at getting the grime out though ! 

The creme I used is Gliptone stuff, I have a variety of their products too, the leather smell is intense when used but not sure it stays as much as autoglym stuff.

• Like 1