Subscriptions & Donations ×

Lowering & Coilovers Chat 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Site Subscriber’s
1 hour ago, AhsyV6 said:

Sounds like someone had fun. I found that after driving the coupe on Stilts for 5 years the transformation was like getting in to a different car all together. 

VERY impressed with the road handling and performance! 

Aye - it's a completely different car and I'm happy with the 'cost to performance' balance as well.

For them that might be thinking of lowering, H&R direct were by far the cheapest when I looked.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok after reading this thread it seems the best option is to ship in some us coilovers with adjustable dampers as I want to go alot lower (about 70mm) I'm not worried about rubbing as I'll be cutting the arches and fitting flares and spacers at the same time. dose anyone have a set they would recommend? Or shall I just suck it and see 

• Confused 1

• Administrators

Nothing I can recommend personally and only know of three coupes on coil-overs with mixed opinions, feel free to start another topic on this as 70mm sounds like allot work involved, but if you're committed would love to see it 👍

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• 2 months later...

Ok so i ordered a set of coilovers for the cg2 today and the ones i ordered are meant for a 2004 accord and 2004 acura tsx and I've managed to get the back pair on this afternoon but ran out of time to get the fronts on and get the ride height adjusted but they seem to fit straight up and I've loads of room for going lower. they are a little stiff on the bounce test as the spings are meant for the heavier bodied and k24 engined saloon I'll get pics up once its all on and sitting pretty and if i can remember how to post pics lol . And I'll let you know if they are worth installing 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jayhoath83 said:

they are a little stiff on the bounce test as the spings are meant for the heavier bodied and k24 engined saloon

I think you will find the CG2 heavier than the CL9 fella, either way looking forward to your results 👍

• Like 2

• Moderators

Its not the j30 is 160kg and the k24 is 185kg

I think Stu was referring to the bodyshell rather than the powerplant. If you can find the data on front and rear axle weights for both models, that will give you a better idea on what the springs will do. ;):D

• Like 2

I even set the coilovers at the same relaxed length as the standard shocks and once on the car they are sitting with a 75mm rear arch gap lol looks like its on stilts once the front are on ill sort out the height as i want it usable but on its arse lol my wide arches and spacers should be here soon as well im getting excited 

• Like 3

• Administrators
3 hours ago, jayhoath83 said:

Its not the j30 is 160kg and the k24 is 185kg plus my car is stripped out as the interior was a hotchpotch of broken trim when i bought it trust me i did the research 

Not disputing your research fella, the j30a is a lighter block but I have removed both engines & trans from cars fully dressed, alternator, compressor ect and the pallet company said the J30A with trans weighed more than the K24 with manual trans, the subframes are lighter on the CL9 compared to GG2 also although not by much... I can guess all the extra airbags and safety equipment make up the extra weight?

• Like 2

• Moderators

when i took mine to a weigh bridge it was 120kg lighter than my mates accord typeS

If you have access to a weighbridge, do two weight tests - drive just the front wheels on and weigh it, the just the back wheels on. This will give you a good idea of the front/rear balance of the car.

Don't forget your mate has 4 doors so extra window regulators, door latches and so on. Sounds picky but they all add up.

If you're aiming for a car that really handles as good as it looks, finding the balance as above is a good start but the coupe bodyshell is more rigid than the 4 door as there are less holes in it.

That means you can probably get away without going quite so hard on the suspension so you still get a comfortable ride - with this in mind, don't forget the anti-roll bars, going slightly thicker (about 25%) can double the roll stiffness which can really transform the car without doing anything else. Still gives a nice smooth ride too! ;):D

• Like 3

I get ya hughezee my mates car is also auto maybe that makes the difference and yeah the interior is hefty for what it is i need to take the front seats out and weigh them but i reckon the drivers seat is a big weight drag. bucket seats are on the menu as well as uprated arb's and bushings im not bothered about comfort i like the crashy race car feel lol it keeps me feeling young 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2017 at 1:34 AM, hughezee said:

New front shocks KYB K341257, re-used the rears and all sitting on an EIBACH PRO KIT 40mm drop, the best drivers combo so far IMO, I've tried a few and settled on Koni shocks and SPAX SPRING 35mm myself as I load my coupe with my Pro Audio tools.

IMG-20170930-172602%5B1%5D.jpg

Found a website that sells the KYB shocks for the Coupe at last! www.autodacs.co.uk 

When Stu does my rear frame I will get the shocks done with a fresh set of lowering springs. Then a new set of alloys some OEM 17's or 18"s would be the preference.    

• Confused 2

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Found a website that sells the KYB shocks for the Coupe at last! www.autodacs.co.uk 

That website doesn't appear to exist? Tried it several times, "Server not found" and searching for it manually using Yahoo, nothing comes up. I doubt whether Google or any other search engine would fare any better.

Any chance you can check the spelling/address and repost please? Thanks! ;):D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

That website doesn't appear to exist? Tried it several times, "Server not found" and searching for it manually using Yahoo, nothing comes up. I doubt whether Google or any other search engine would fare any better.

Any chance you can check the spelling/address and repost please? Thanks! ;):D

www.autodocs.co.uk 

Sorry 🙈

• Confused 2

• Moderators

Thanks both for getting there in the end! :D

Had a look on there for my wee beastie, suffice it to say, i won't be buying KYB shocks from them! Over £100 each! :o

Watching some on ebay about £60 cheaper - each!

However, in their Ashika range, gas pressure shocks for mine are about £23 each or the Japanparts are about £38 each. Have you heard of either of those two makes Stu and if so, are they any good?

At the moment the balance is swinging to the oil pressure KYB shocks on fleabay but if i can get something cheaper that will do the job and last a reasonable time then that would be preferable.

15 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Thanks both for getting there in the end! :D

Had a look on there for my wee beastie, suffice it to say, i won't be buying KYB shocks from them! Over £100 each! :o

Watching some on ebay about £60 cheaper - each!

However, in their Ashika range, gas pressure shocks for mine are about £23 each or the Japanparts are about £38 each. Have you heard of either of those two makes Stu and if so, are they any good?

At the moment the balance is swinging to the oil pressure KYB shocks on fleabay but if i can get something cheaper that will do the job and last a reasonable time then that would be preferable.

Exel G come in at about £200 for the 4 on the Coupe,  probably go for Eibach springs 

• Like 1

• Moderators

You're doing better than me then! I only need the front shocks on mine, replaced the originals about 5 years ago with a pair of springs/shocks from a 98 version which improved life considerably but obviously now those are also 20+ years old are starting to fail. The springs still have plenty of life in, i do have another pair but no idea what the shocks are like on them - no point replacing one dead item with another! :o