Subscriptions & Donations ×

Lowering & Coilovers Chat 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Moderators

I know Stu has done a lot of testing of suspension (among other things) and i know he found a few anomalies where some kits listed as fitting the Accord Coupé didn't because they were designed for the rest of the Accord range but the manufacturers looked at it, saw it fitted "Accord Saloon" so assumed it fitted "Accord Coupé".

I know with mine, i needed an alternator a couple of years back and the number of alternators i found listed as fitting the 827 but when i did some diggin i found would only fit the 2.0 was amazing. Even when queried the sellers would say it's the same engine - anything for a sale! :o

Hopefully Stu will be along soon and give you the benefit of his experiements on suspension. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators

For starters the kit your looking at won't work well with the CG2, they will be a little short anyway and depending on the front shocks they could slip into the forks, the models listed refer to the Euro Accord models...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hughezee said:

For starters the kit your looking at won't work well with the CG2, they will be a little short anyway and depending on the front shocks they could slip into the forks, the models listed refer to the Euro Accord models...

You are right I missread the listing. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to buy kit from!?

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

I don't have any 'thoughts' on the drive yet but I just ordered the H&R springs and KYB front shocks today. Got a decent price on the shocks by buying direct from H&R.

Hopefully, the car will still be happy being fully loaded with work kit.

• Like 3

On 11/20/2018 at 5:07 PM, Kelvin said:

I don't have any 'thoughts' on the drive yet but I just ordered the H&R springs and KYB front shocks today. Got a decent price on the shocks by buying direct from H&R.

This could be the way forward! Or airbags 😉😉

• Like 2

• Founding Member
On 11/20/2018 at 5:07 PM, Kelvin said:

Good choice on the H&Rs but have no experience with the KYBs. I suppose one the main reasons you can load up these Coupes so much is because their original stance is like they sit on stilts and have so much spring to compress😄. With that said I constantly have a full boot with my 12” subwoofer, ALL my cleaning products,  some tools and my boys pushchair. When I go shopping I can buy up to 60kg of shopping and the car does not struggle at all. The only thing is a squeak but I’m sure that’s a Bush somewhere. 

I’d like to drop the fronts a tad more but I think that will compromise the ride too much. 

Will be interested on your thoughts on the handling when installed 

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, AhsyV6 said:

Good choice on the H&Rs but have no experience with the KYBs.

Among others, i believe KYB were OE suppliers to Honda for shocks. Very well regarded in general whether for standard or lowered use, they are one of the better shock manufacturers on the planet. Not entirely relevant to this thread but i have a set of KYBs on my Volvo, have recommended them to others and all have said the same - they're good shocks!

17 minutes ago, AhsyV6 said:

The only thing is a squeak but I’m sure that’s a Bush somewhere.

George "Dub-Ya"? Wondered what he did after his presidency! :lol:

Joking aside, try some silicone spray on the bushes, often stops them squeaking as it softens the rubber slightly - usually the squeaky bushes are the older, dry ones, with no "give" left to give. ;):D

• 4 months later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

Slightly - better than I expected and the steering is a little heavier.

The steering is much sharper and precise on roundabouts but I'll give it a few days to bed in before thrashing the thing 😉

• Like 3

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I'll give it a few days to bed in before thrashing the thing 😉

Gives you a few days to get used to the improved handling/steering response too!

Many moons ago, i had an SD1 Rover and because the rack leaked, the previous owner had cut the PAS belt so for the first few months of ownership, it had no power steering. Eventually i managed to get a replacement PAS rack and belt and fitted it over a weekend.

On the monday morning going to work, there was a 90 degree left hand bend - if you went stright on, it was the entrance to a field so you had to turn left.

Anyway, monday morning, not fully awake and forgetting i now had PAS, i jerked the wheel down to turn left on this bend and suddenly found myself facing the way i'd just come from with the back end in the field! :o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Site Subscriber’s

It gets there - next thing is changing the indicator bulbs.

So far, about 150 miles, the steering is fine - holds it's line well and the body roll has departed ☺️

It's not too clattery even on our worst potholes roads and I'm happy as Larry.

• Like 4

• Founding Member

Too many speed bumps and holes in the road around Manchester for any lowered car... If I were to do anything I would use bigger wheels & tyres to fill the arches.... and bridge potholes....

• Like 3

• Site Subscriber’s

Right. Took all my decorating kit out of the boot this morning and gave the car a good workout on the way to climbing. she holds a line well now, no floating about at all on faster A road bends and the steering is rather more precise as a consequence. Lapped her around a few of my fave roundabouts and was quite impressed. Understeer is obviously there still, it's a big car, but an agressive lift off the throttle will have the back end coming around nicely to straighten her up. It was really easy to play with slides and spin without feeling she might bite back - very unlike before, when it always felt as if you were in an episode of Tales of the Unexpected. The ride is a little harsher than before but not by much.

Thoroughly recommended are the H&R springs. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Having weight in the boot upsets the balance of the car including weight transfer as you go into corners, lift off the throttle and so on. Weight transfer is a whole subject on its own without even touching on suspension. :o

You should also find if you go into a bend and you're off the throttle as you enter, if it tries to understeer, giving it some more throttle (not enough to trigger kickdown but a fair bit more) will bring the back round nicely and point you where you intend on going. You might want to try it at a speed lower than where you'd get understeeer to get the feel of it but it's a characteristic of FWD cars. ;):D

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

Having ridden bikes for many years and thrashed a car or two, I try to avoid ever having to go into a bend off the throttle - it's just a no no if you want to get anywhere quickly and smoothly and as for ejiits that brake into the bend... 😭 They deserve all they get! 

It's certainly not the quickest car I've had but the handling now it's lowered is acceptable, still grand tourer rather than sports but I quite like that at the age of 53 😀 

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

as for ejiits that brake into the bend... 😭 They deserve all they get! 

Too right they do! My second favourite pet peeve after "dabbers" - those that keep dabbing the brake pedal but don't actually slow down and often go back on the loud pedal immediately. :o Must be a nightmare being a passenger in those cars, no accidents but leave the car with whiplash anyway!

13 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I try to avoid ever having to go into a bend off the throttle

Likewise but sometimes it's not so much necessary but more desirable than having to brake heavily immediately after the bend for a T-junction for example - also useful on unfamiliar roads, particularly when some bends are actually sharper than they appear and the way the scenery is, it's impossible to tell that until halfway through the bend, there's a lot like that round here.

• Like 3

• Founding Member
On 4/4/2019 at 8:07 PM, PaulS said:

Too many speed bumps and holes in the road around Manchester for any lowered car... If I were to do anything I would use bigger wheels & tyres to fill the arches.... and bridge potholes....

You would be pleasantly surprised as to how this coupe performs on a set of Koni shocks and H&R Springs.....living in London no doubt we are on par with the Manchester pot holes. I stayed on 225/45/17 and very happy with them. 

With all that said after 6 years on them wear and tear has set in which is yet to be located. 

• Like 2

• Founding Member
18 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Right. Took all my decorating kit out of the boot this morning and gave the car a good workout on the way to climbing. she holds a line well now, no floating about at all on faster A road bends and the steering is rather more precise as a consequence. Lapped her around a few of my fave roundabouts and was quite impressed. Understeer is obviously there still, it's a big car, but an agressive lift off the throttle will have the back end coming around nicely to straighten her up. It was really easy to play with slides and spin without feeling she might bite back - very unlike before, when it always felt as if you were in an episode of Tales of the Unexpected. The ride is a little harsher than before but not by much.

Thoroughly recommended are the H&R springs. 

Sounds like someone had fun. I found that after driving the coupe on Stilts for 5 years the transformation was like getting in to a different car all together. 

VERY impressed with the road handling and performance! 

• Like 4