Subscriptions & Donations ×

Lowering & Coilovers Chat 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Administrators
3 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Yes, did think about this but haven't actually got that far yet...!

Are they still available ? or is there a copy version ,,,,that's any good of course?:rolleyes:

OEM kits are no longer available :huh: I might have a reasonable used full kit available soon but it would require painting to match your car, be warned they are fragile and the expensive aftermarket kits are much better made in my experience...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Long shot, but been googling for hours and not getting anywhere so thought to check with you guys...will lowering springs meant for Acura RSX and Integra DC5 fit the v6 accord coupe? From looking at pictures they look very similar but I get that's not enough to go on by. Weights of the cars are very similar.

I do note that the RSX has MacPherson struts (per Wiki, not sure what it means) and so if my accord doesn't have this it is unlikely to fit.

Please advise?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Google comes here for the answers anyway! ;):lol:

All coil springs look similar in pictures, i know there are several member on here including Stu that have lowering kits so you should get a few answers to that soon enough.

Stu did a back to back test between 2 or 3 different makes on his gold Coupé (Flex) to work out which suited the car best. Obviously a lot of it is down to personal taste but generally you have to make a compromise somewhere, especially with suspension. What will work fine on one road will be absolutely rubbish on another so you can't really go for maximum lowering and stiffness as although that will be great on very smooth roads with no speed humps you'll be stuck (possibly literally) when you have to drive a bumpy road with speed humps.

I know a lot of the front springs are interchangeable across the range, however some are not and in all honesty i can't put my finger on what is and isn't interchangeable - that's the sort of stuff Stu has on the tip of his tongue or perhaps fingers would be better so he can type it in for you! ;):D

• Like 3

Yes you are right google did bring me here so many times lol.

I'm not after maximum lowering as we have some horrible speed bumps and which I don't fancy scraping. It's just my car currently looks like its on stilts lol, so do need to lower it by say 1.5inch at the front and 1 inch at the back.

I don't think the Acura and Integra were released in the UK but there must be a few examples, and I don't doubt the knowledge the members have so I'm sure I'll have an answer soon :)

• Like 2

• Administrators

Hello, fellow enthusiast, I can see why you would think they look similar, but the term used for illustration purposes only springs to mind no pun intended honestly, :lol:  I've attached more accurate pictures to show the differences.

dc5.JPG$_1.JPG

The only real thing the DC5 shares in common with the CG2 coupe is the rear brake pads, the springs are a completely different in terms of height & diameter on the rear and same goes for the front although approximately the same height the Integra's setup is different which makes them almost 2 inches bigger in diameter. compared to the accord. 

Hope that answers your question m8y. ;)

• Like 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, kag8 said:

that's not the answer I was hoping for :(

I did think that m8y :mellow: if your existing springs are in good shape have you considered getting them professionally compressed and re-painted, could be a pain if you're not handy with the spanners and it's your daily driver, but just a suggestion.

• Like 3

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, kag8 said:

Thanks, Stu. Unfortunately that's not the answer I was hoping for :(

Ah well, got to keep my eye out for a good deal on the cg2 specific springs!

Actually i'm pretty glad to hear that - not that i want to make life difficult for you but it shows you are appreciating the car for being different.

The flip side of that is when you do find the right springs, they will be the right springs - not some that are produced for umpteen different variants of the Civic then beefed up for the Accord (saloon/hatch models) then tweaked again for something else or perhaps made as "one size fits all" as it's very difficult to get a "one size fits all" for several different cars.

For example, my Hondas are thinly disguised as Rover 827s (aka Legend in disguise) and there were about 18 different variations of the springs over the 12 years or so they were produced, depending on year, model and territory.

Now you can only get "one size fits all" and while that improves some models handling, it makes the ride too rough on others and so on.

It would be a crying shame to ruin a unique car like the Accord Coupé 3.0 V6 for the sake of spending a few extra £££ on "universal" springs. ;):D

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

It would be a crying shame to ruin a unique car like the Accord Coupé 3.0 V6 for the sake of spending a few extra £££ on "universal" springs.

Agreed Dave ;)

19 minutes ago, kag8 said:

Ah well, got to keep my eye out for a good deal on the cg2 specific springs

These look pretty well priced and I've purchased parts from this company before and all good:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Pro-Kit-Lowering-Springs-Honda-Accord-Mk6-Coupe-2-0-3-0-02-98-06-03-/122270697215?hash=item1c77e6c6ff:g:bGAAAOSw5cNYUtdg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

• The title was changed to Accord Coupe 2.0 Lowering Springs
  • 3 months later...

As mentioned in my 'build' thread I recently lowered the front of my car by 35mm. Plan is to do the rear at some point but as I will need to get the rear arches rolled (otherwise will rub my slightly wider tyres) not a priority at the moment. Besides I do like the nose dive look!

Now before I completely wear out the outer edge of my front tyres (needed alignment even before lowering), where can I get wheel alignment/tracking done correctly for my lowered setup? I think springs should have settled by now so want to get that sorted asap now. Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Dave was on this subject on another thread, so I would try to avoid the name places like thick fit and halfrauds and have a look on yell.com for garages with good feedback basically somebody that knows what he or she's doing as their lively hood depends on doing it right the first time.

• Thanks 2

Thanks Stuart. I'll have a look around my local area.

I get that any decent garage should know what they are doing but was hoping to be equipped with some technical figures I should be insisting on eg. for toe/camber so I can weed out the dodgy garages. I thought lowered cars won't follow manufacturer spec to the letter. I'm a total noob with this and have been to many clueless garages for other botched work!

There is one of the more "posh" garages near my workplace with the Hunters (?) machine that apparently do free checks so I can go there for a diagnosis to see how much out of wack it is. Then compare with tech sheet after they or any other garage does the job?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
14 minutes ago, AhsyV6 said:

What's the combo again? 

New front shocks KYB K341257, re-used the rears and all sitting on an EIBACH PRO KIT 40mm drop, the best drivers combo so far IMO, I've tried a few and settled on Koni shocks and SPAX SPRING 35mm myself as I load my coupe with my Pro Audio tools.

IMG-20170930-172602%5B1%5D.jpg

• Moderators
9 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

Nice stance......what's the ride like? 

Good point, always irks me when I have done this before and ended up with a joggly ride.  

Always takes a bit of adjustment to get them right and I do like the comfort of the ride of the Coupe in standard form....just hate the height and wheel gap :angry: spoiled the look really.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Bloody hell! Suspension is a minefield ? I have some unknown springs on mine but its sitting lower on OSR so I think I have a weak spring.. Don't know if I should save and get new springs and shocks all round or just a new set of springs, car only done 45k so original shocks should be ok. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Measure the trim height Dean - from the centre of the wheel to the wheel arch lip. Do this on all 4 wheels and make a note of the figures. I'm sure Stu has the figures somewhere so comparing your figures with those should give an idea of what if anything needs replacing.

If it's been a "driver only" car since new, it would explain why the OSR is saggy. Also have you done the bounce test on each corner?  Lean down hard on the car and let go. It should rebound past the normal position and settle back to normal - no more. If it does more suspect weak shocks on that corner. ;):D

4 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Measure the trim height Dean - from the centre of the wheel to the wheel arch lip. Do this on all 4 wheels and make a note of the figures. I'm sure Stu has the figures somewhere so comparing your figures with those should give an idea of what if anything needs replacing.

If it's been a "driver only" car since new, it would explain why the OSR is saggy. Also have you done the bounce test on each corner?  Lean down hard on the car and let go. It should rebound past the normal position and settle back to normal - no more. If it does more suspect weak shocks on that corner. ;):D

Yes I think it has been a driver car to be honest.. 

I will do those measurements this week. 

I have done the "bounce" check and both sides seem consistent.

I found these and for the price im tempted...

http://www.venommotorsport.com/product/suspension/SU20069/

• Like 2