Subscriptions & Donations ×

Lowering & Coilovers Chat 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Administrators

I've been talking about doing this for a while and I've kinda talked myself out of it each time  :rolleyes: thinking Ahsy is vastly becoming a bad influence :lol: so anyway I've just started to build a list of things I want to do to the coupe. Kicking off with some springs to sweeten the look and retain the comfort I've become accustomed too  :P  and was thinking E4026-140 Eibach Pro-Kit Springs but what are your thoughts guys an gals  B)

• Administrators

Got a set of front standard shocks done 60k with spax 35mm lowering springs brand new for the v6 already fitted. Just straight bolt on if interested bud

I've heard mixed reviews on most springs, granted 45-50mm drops are the most common for problems  ^_^ after all I'm only experimenting here, so wing me over a special price via P.M  :lol:

• Founding Member

From my research the Eibach springs were probably the best all rounder and they have their history to back it up. They look to retain as much of the ride quality as possible as their drop is conservative. I have always read that you should match the springs to the shocks as standard shocks on lowered springs could blow your shocks eventually. I opted for the H&R springs as they are more generous with their drop height and I paired it up with the Koni STR shocks. Koni state these shocks can be used with stock springs. I deliberately kept away for springs with 40-50mm drops because of the loss of ride quality and the look of driving a bone shaker.

I can guarantee that when you take bends and corners the car will actually feel more sturdy and responsive with considerably less roll and will feel EVEN better to drive.

You may experience squeaks here and there as the ride is slight firmer.

I do feel that the front could be a tad lower as I may've mentioned in a previous post. The next way forward will be coilovers but these will be pretty costly and the Tein range in the US look good.

With your ride lower and with the new Depos your CG2 will look even better.....can't wait to see the results and hear your comments.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I will be going for bigger & softer tyres to compensate for the slightly firmer ride and my speedo is out anyway  :huh: 3mph faster than I'm actually going <_<  so changing my tyre is estimated to increase my speed, so averaging 60-80 mph it will be almost bang on the money if not spot on  ;)

• Founding Member
On 10/22/2014 at 7:03 PM, hughezee said:

I'm on 17's at the moment, may even consider new rims yet  <_<

For some reason I thought you were on 18's.

I am also on 17's with Falken FK452 Rotational 225/45r17 94y and I find them an excellent high end budget tyre.

• Founding Member

I read this post a while back on the US forum V6 Performance that I have been a member of for a few years.

I hope it helps

-------------------------------------

What are springs and struts? Why do springs effect my ride? Whats the difference between shocks and struts? Why stiffer?

Ok, first you have to understand the difference between the springs and the shocks and their stiffness. Its not the same thing. You dont want a stiff spring and a soft shock, but you can be just fine with a soft spring and a stiff shock.

the principal behind it is that as a spring gets smaller, the rate gets higher. The higher the springrate, the quicker and harsher the bouncing of the spring. However, the higher the springrate, the less the spring compresses where it usually would the most on stock springs. This is what causes bad rides and also what gives better performance as in less body roll. Frankly, thats what it gives you.

The principal behind shocks is that the shock compresses a certain amount (of course) as the spring does, but it really isnt absorbing the "shock" per say. No matter what shock you have, no matter how stiff or soft it is, whatever, its not doing the work, the spring is. The shock works to STOP the spring from the bouncing caused by its compression and decompression. However quick the shock reacts or rebounds will affect how much of it you feel and how much the car moves.

---

Why shouldnt I put an aftermarket spring on stock shocks?

This is why you dont just throw any damned spring on the stock shocks - you all that want a technical answer - this is it. It takes power to stop a progressive rate spring. Your stock springs are not progressive. They are evenly spaced apart. This means when you hit a bump in the road, the entire spring can compress, there are no dead coils persay. It takes a lot less power to stop a non progressive spring. Think of it like you have a 1 foot long spring with evenly spaced coils, you hold it down, and let it go. Now you do that again with a 8 inch tall spring that has all the coils near the top all close together, even touching. THis means that you have a lot less spring pushing it. BUt principal physics says its going to decompress a hell of a lot quicker, thus faster.

Now, I am a supporter of Eibach, they have awesome quality springs. They are a world renound company. But despite whatever they say, over and over, and whatever your friends or people on this board say, you cant make a shorter, progressive rate spring to work with stock shocks. Its springrate may be at the limits, it may feel about like stock, but it aint. under your car your shocks are working the hardest they have in a while to carry that springload. Now, whatever the claims, however long your friends have had them, is absolutely fabulous, go for it. If they say they are for stockers, then they are. But I have seen prokits blow stock shocks as fast as race springs. It happens easily. However, they are the least likely to do it. So if you are gonna cheap out, cheap out the right way. (I wonder if I could get that published in an oxy moron book...)

---

What has more effect on my ride and performance? Springs or Shocks? Both?

Now, addressing the question of which has more of an effect on the ride. Well, the spring. But the shock has an equal effect WHEN you have the spring. Heres how that works. You know how I talked about the spring absorbing the shock and compressing, and the shock matching it to stop the compression? Well, the same principal applies going into, say, a hard 75 degree turn at 75. What happens? Your spring compresses. You can certainly tell on stock springs, its less obvious with aftermarket springs though. But anyhow, in this instance, the quicker that shock can come out of compression and stop the springs compression, the more even your car will remain. Thus less body roll, and a still yet centered center of gravity. This equals control. Good control. Cant just the spring do this? Yes yes, of course, but even when you put that spring on stock shocks and head to the twisties, your car will still roll. Not as much, of course, but it will fluxuate. You lack evenness and clarity and preciseness. Your crux lies in how well that shock will respond.

--

I heard that I can cut and melt my stock springs...is this a good way to save money and lower my car?

NO!! Since your stock springs arent highly pro rate, you will be cutting off your springrate as you go. You will have a very stiff, often uneven, harsh ride and you will blow your stock shocks. You also can never revert back and if you screw one thing up you are basically screwed alltogether. Its a money trap.

--

What are the differences between different brands and genres of springs?

Well, generally springs, as they get lower, have a higher and higher springrate, which is how close together the spring coils are to each other - but a prorate spring gathers coils together towards the top and spreads out as they move down. The lower the springrate, the softer the spring, the higher the car sits.

Eibach is the choice spring for many people as they claim compatibility with stock struts, which is not all that far off, however they are still a highly progressive spring, even though they have a relatively lower springrage, and really are still putting a lot of pressure on your struts, its just unrealized since the springs have a lower springrate at the bottom.

Neuspeed springs and H&R springs are basically the "next step" up. They offer an allright ride, but they are a lot stiffer than eibach springs and a tad less progressive. They still progress down, except the coils are closer together. These offer higher performance.

There are others, like Suspension Techniques, Intrax, Sprint, BBK, etc. Most of these springs are as high or high of a springrate as the Neuspeeds, but some of them are notorious for sagging or being to stiff. However, The designs can be nice and great for the right application, like using S/T sport springs which are a very small drop.

--

Ok, enough technical jargon, what about the actual drop height of the springs...what are some different springs?

Here are some springs and their average drops (it varys from generation)

S/T Sport or Neuspeed Sofsport about a 1.0" drop, 3 finger gap

Eibach Prokits are about a 1.4" drop, 2 finger gap

Neuspeed / H&R Sports are about a 1.8" drop, 1 finger gap

Eibach Sportlines are about a 2"+ drop, 0-1 finger gap

Neuspeed / H&R Race are about a 2.25" drop, usually no gap, depends on strut

and the catagories for most sport and race springs from other companies (intrax, suspension tech, sprint are about the same drop as neuspeeds.

--

Thats nice, but my parents dont want me to lower my car, is there anything I can do that they might be OK with?

Sure, you can go with a minor drop spring like S/T Sport or Eibach prokits. Im sure you will notice the stance of the springs but your parents may not unless they just stare at the car or they always have something to compare it to. Most of all you get rid of a lot of that ugly gap.

--

I dont race, I just want people to see me and like my ride. What should I do?

The thing is, if you want the look and comfort and are not extremely concerned about performance, grab up the prokits or sportlines... they are just a softer spring to put it bluntly.

--

Whats up with that guy? Why would you lower a car just for looks? I want the best performance baby.

In that case, I would say go with Neuspeed springs. There is a noticeable difference in the performance, but the ride suffers more. The best performance springs are the high springrate springs, but your comfort is compromised. If you are really into it, go for some Race series springs, but I mean if you are really into it.

--

Ok, you mentioned struts earlier, but what do I need to do about them?

Well, on just about any car, if you replace your springs, your stock struts arent going to take it near as well, they cant stop the springs. First off, the springs are stiffer...no matter what. THe thing about eibachs is they still they arent uniform and they arent stock springs, and they will be stiffer. Eventually with any spring, especially the very stiff ones like Neuspeed, etc, you are going to blow out your struts...eventually. some people take weeks some months some can go a year but it doesnt matter - Ive seen people blow shocks with prokits just as fast as H&R Race, its still money you have to spend later if you dont do it now.

--

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Cheers for sharing m8y, although I just can't stop laughing at this  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Funny you should say that because when I read it again today it made me chuckle too.

I suppose the main thing is if it helps one person then its worth it. It certainly helped me make my desicion to drop the car properly. The amount of people I've seen on the roads with dropped CG2s over the years have been few and far between. But when I do see one and approach them I always ask what they've used and it's either I don't know or they cut the springs!

• Like 1