Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe CG2-CG4 Tail/ Rear lights "THOUGHTS"

hughezee

• Administrators

Well the LED lights  :mellow:  what waste of my time,  they are universal with two types of fitment  ^_^  yeah right they only work half way when slotted in so would easily fall out :angry: anyway after some trial and error I gave up on them and tried a stock T20 bulb, snug fit but hay presto it works :D

• 5 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

I have to agree, even though they looked great on Purple Haze - and are a contrast to the dark purple and freshen the rear end up - I have reverted back to the original Honda lenses, they were switched over earlier this morning at Stu's.  I noticed there was a problem yesterday whilst doing my weekly checks, I noticed that the tail light wasn't lighting.  I fiddled around with the connector/wires and it came on...not for long though as the dreaded 'BRAKE' light illuminated on the dash.  In any event, I would much rather have working tail/brake lights than a nice clear lense with no brake light...for someone to then smack me up the rear!

Here is Purple with the clear lenses fitted:

01d7084080c49d26f1a2f238dafbc802f3f33f12

And here's Purple earlier today after having the original Honda lenses re-fitted:

C55BFCEC-90C8-4FAC-A7D3-38583828F189_zps

0BBE5811-2850-4E38-A92C-32E9CDD9ABFB_zps

Luckily Stu had kept the old connectors and it was just a case of plugging them into the connector.  The actual bulbs and bulb holders popped into the fitting with a satisfying click too.  That's quality Honda parts that is!  It's an easy enough job, they're held on with four nuts each, then the whole unit just pops out.  It was an opportunity too to whip out my rag and have a good clean.  ;)

Mission accomplished...although Stu and I had to pop to Halfrauds to get some more T20 bulbs, luckily, there's one half a mile away.  ;)

• Like 2

• Founding Member

It is a pleasure driving her Stu.  The drive back was sublime, the sun was out, the sunroof was open and before I knew it, I was doing 80+ on the A38 and didn't even realise it!  A guy in an RX8 was in front doing 60, he pulled over as I accelerated past him.  Sweet.  :D

You probably noticed on the way to Halfrauds that the changes really are unnoticeable all the way through the range and with the whisper quiet engine too, I have to have Smooth Radio on for some noise!!  :lol:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Only just read this thread as stu posted and it came up on unread...

Like the look of these on the dark cars, maybe my greenie would look ok ? 

Anyone still running these as i see it was a couple years ago....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Only just read this thread as stu posted and it came up on unread...

Like the look of these on the dark cars, maybe my greenie would look ok ? 

Anyone still running these as i see it was a couple years ago....:rolleyes:

Ahsy has had his fitted for a while now still look good from the pictures he's shared recently, they usually need sealing up before fitting them as they can suffer condensation and the connections are poor fitment so moisture won't help things. I hard wired some LED's in them this time around and they look cracking just didn't look right on my car. :blink:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

Turns out there's a set of these on my car, the previous owner mentioned it today - can't say I'd even noticed. My car is as dark as you can get however and it just looks a bit less dated with them in. The centre section needs a good clean and polish to match tho.

The flat and dirty black paintwork had a wash at the weekend and today I cut back a few sq inches. Turns out it's not black at all but a metallic with a mid blue fleck! Really nice when the sun hit it but unnoticeable otherwise.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Founding Member
On 01/08/2017 at 3:08 PM, Kelvin said:

Turns out there's a set of these on my car, the previous owner mentioned it today - can't say I'd even noticed. My car is as dark as you can get however and it just looks a bit less dated with them in. The centre section needs a good clean and polish to match tho.

The flat and dirty black paintwork had a wash at the weekend and today I cut back a few sq inches. Turns out it's not black at all but a metallic with a mid blue fleck! Really nice when the sun hit it but unnoticeable otherwise.

Have a look at this thread and see what can be achieved after a good polish. 

I have to say that either the Indicators should all be Amber like the Rear and Repeaters, or Clear like the Front ones, not a miss-mash. Personally because the Front Lights look so nice as all clear they should all be like that - matching. 

But I actually prefer Amber Lenses on older cars. Looks more suited. ;)

• Founding Member
38 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

I have to say that either the Indicators should all be Amber like the Rear and Repeaters, or Clear like the Front ones, not a miss-mash. Personally because the Front Lights look so nice as all clear they should all be like that - matching. 

But I actually prefer Amber Lenses on older cars. Looks more suited. ;)

Clearly all to do with personal preferences.....I have clear all round including silver coated bulbs so no Amber in sight unless I'm turning left or right;)

• Founding Member

This is my previous coupe in 2008 but with the amber bulbs which I did not like at all. The Amber lens doesn't look bad but is definitely dated to look at. IMG_0537.thumb.JPG.0f409ef9ec3c73901acc3e187845526c.JPG

This is the current coupe with silver coated bulbs (I think Phillips) . IMG_6626.thumb.JPG.09b663e9ba57f201562574a8c02c22e3.JPG

• Like 2

I agree, they do look very nice.

But I still do not think that £100+ and then the modification of the Wiring/Holders is justifiable for the sake of having clear Indicators. And then the cost of changing the Repeaters aswell, and Bulbs makes it even more expensive. Even if I had that sort of money spare I wouldn't do it. I'd rather spend that money on mechanicals - far more beneficial in the long run.

But as you say it's all down to personal choice I suppose..... :)

Also the Red Plastic doesn't quite match the Original Plastic of the Centre Light Cluster, and especially the Reverse Lights. The Original just looks more holistic in overall finish. ;)

• Founding Member
41 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

I agree, they do look very nice.

But I still do not think that £100+ and then the modification of the Wiring/Holders is justifiable for the sake of having clear Indicators. And then the cost of changing the Repeaters aswell, and Bulbs makes it even more expensive. Even if I had that sort of money spare I wouldn't do it. I'd rather spend that money on mechanicals - far more beneficial in the long run.

But as you say it's all down to personal choice I suppose..... :)

Also the Red Plastic doesn't quite match the Original Plastic of the Centre Light Cluster, and especially the Reverse Lights. The Original just looks more holistic in overall finish. ;)

I know what you mean about the replacement rears not matching the centre piece....they aren't aligned either. Unless I'm looking for it I hardly ever notice it. 

I just checked how much these lights are now and they have increased in price to $86. I bought them when they were around $45 delivered AND when the £ was much stronger. I sold my previous set to a guy in Scotland and that paid for my new replacement rears (the old ones has slight condensation). 

• Founding Member
7 hours ago, Mangoman said:

These were the ones I was looking at and when you include the (exorbitant) cost of delivery, the price is quite crazy!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/98-02-Accord-Coupe-2D-Red-Clear-Tail-Lights-Outer-2-pcs/310851347623?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

They are the Depo lights that I was referring to.....they've just gone up in price and the p&p has increased and the exchange rate does not help at all. 

• Sad 1

• Administrators

Well since I've had nothing but trouble with these Depo's and they will be up for sale cheap very soon, I have gone the all red USA OEM route as pictured below and member Rob's coupe has them fitted now and nothing was mentioned on his last MOT either, so I thought why not.:)

HONDA-Accord-Coupe-2995-20.jpeg

There are Red Depo and LED versions but I will stick with OEM specs and quality thanks, pic's to follow soon. :P

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Depo are one of the few (only?) aftermarket manufacturers of light clusters for the Volvo - i'm glad they're cheap as they aren't well made and don't usually last very long!

Wise move going back to OEM for you! ;):D

I went back to my stock lights not too long after fitting the Depo's think it was minutes actually :blink: anyway having re-fitted them to numerous coupes and there's always a niggle, so OEM for me just all red without the amber section now.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

One of the big reasons (besides the looks) i went for the completely clear front indicator/sidelights on the Volvo is because it wasn't Depo. Both "original" lamps on the car were loose, broken clips. One turned out to be an original Volvo unit from 1988 and had only just broken, the other was a Depo one and had been broken some time before i got the car.

Having previously had Depo on my last Volvo i knew they were cheap and not very cheerful, when i was offered the clear ones the first thing i asked was the make. In a very broad west country accent i was informed "They're not ******* Depo, ****** carp they are!" :lol:

Not too sure on the "all red" rear lamps, i know you mentioned the MoT pass another member has had with them and to be fair, there's a few cars round here with all red indicators/taillights. With an orange bulb they should come out orangey-red so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Maybe even use an orange LED bulb (and ballast resistor to maintain the flash rate) as they are brighter (660Lm Vs ~350Lm for a standard white 21W bulb) than the standard orange bulbs (21W with orange translucent paint) so will give a more orange, brighter output.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-bulbs/products/12-volt-bright-amber-led-indicator-bulbs-bau15s

BAU15S_Short_1024x1024.jpg?v=1490721187

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/2-x-50w-6ohm-led-indicator-ballast-resistors-fix-hyper-flash-turn-signal

Ballast_Ad_1024x1024.jpg?v=1451662962

I'm 99% sure i've picked the right ones there, give Duncan a call on 0800 246 5678 to double check or place an order - he's a very helpful and knowledgeable guy. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, hughezee said:

coupes have the T20 capless wedge. ;)

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/t20-3157-white-amber-side-reverse-indicator-turn-combined-led-580-switchback

T20_white_amber2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1499619

You could easily add DRLs or extra reverse lights as well then!

Think he does the orange T20 but if not :

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/580-t20-led-drl-error-free-6000k-bright-white-w21-5w-day-time-running-light-smd

That's a stop/tail in white, just use the 21W part for the indicators. Then again it doesn't really help as it might make them pink! :o:lol:

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/580-t20-led-drl-error-free-6000k-bright-white-w21-5w-day-time-running-light-smd

That's a stop/tail in white, just use the 21W part for the indicators. Then again it doesn't really help as it might make them pink! :o:lol:

Wonder how well these fit in the sockets....as I discovered last year the Honda bulbs have a positive click whereas the aftermarket ones, three versions tried, do not. The worry being them falling out into the light housing.:rolleyes:

The other issue was trying to get the size of the bulb off the supplier to ensure it can be inserted through the aperture, ooh err ! Space is tight :D

I have just replaced the offside rear  tail light bulb, last year was the nearside, but even new bulbs are "dim" would love to try these out but its 15 quid wasted on just two bulbs if they dont fit .:(

• Like 2