Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe CG2-CG4 Tail/ Rear lights "THOUGHTS"

hughezee

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

would love to try these out but its 15 quid wasted on just two bulbs if they dont fit .:(

The bulbs are 59mm long  from top to the bottom of the contact and brighter than the standard filament bulbs. They are an ideal conversion to add combined reverse, side or indicator lights behind a clear lens without adding ugly add on aftermarket housings that take away from your vehicles original look.

Copied that from the listing Pete! ;) A quick online search revealed this as well :

IMG_1452.jpg

I know he's also happy to sell on a "sale or return" basis and refund the money if they don't fit but at only 8mm longer than the standard ones i can't see a problem. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

The bulbs are 59mm long  from top to the bottom of the contact and brighter than the standard filament bulbs. They are an ideal conversion to add combined reverse, side or indicator lights behind a clear lens without adding ugly add on aftermarket housings that take away from your vehicles original look.

Copied that from the listing Pete! ;) A quick online search revealed this as well :

Not from the listing I was looking at , the one I hyperlinked :P

It was the side light version , twin filament though, not the indicator !!

• Like 1

• Moderators

My apologies Pete! In fact, the sidelight/DRL version looks longer than the indicator version. As you rightly point out, the length of it isn't on the listing and photos can be deceptive in terms of length.

Double checking online, i found this :

KJ2176001_1.jpg

Difficult to see because it's so small but the 5W T20 bulb is 42mm long, top to  toe, worth a phone call (it's free) to find the length of that one if you're thinking of it. ;):D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/01/2018 at 2:16 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

IMG_1452.jpg

It's ages since I used a vernier like this, and I've forgotten how to read it.  What does this one show? Is it 51. From the lower line, plus 0.5 from the top line. 51.5mm in total ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, welland99 said:

It's ages since I used a vernier like this, and I've forgotten how to read it.  What does this one show? Is it 51. From the lower line, plus 0.5 from the top line. 51.5mm in total ?

Not sure. :blink: Bottom scales are Metric, top scales are Imperial if that helps? :huh:

It would be useful if the image showed the rest of the "Very Near" gauge but how the lower set of graduations are lining up against the main lower scale suggests it's going to be somewhere in the order of 51.5 or 51.6mm.

Even if you said it was 52mm, there is going to be plenty of breathing space around the bulb between it and the inside of the plastic lens. Filament/incandescent bulbs get pretty hot so they would have designed a fairly large gap between the two.

• Moderators

Apparently the answer is to buy a digital version, I am told!!!:P

I still use these types too, my original version dates back to mid seventies so is a bit lacking in scales now :rolleyes:.....I use it to open the backs if watches now in order to replace batteries!  

Treated myself and bought a set with micrometer and Vernier in a few years back ...ok thinking about it, maybe more than few years :wacko:

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Apparently the answer is to buy a digital version, I am told!!!:P

I did exactly that about 10 years ago, i still have one with an analogue scale which i refer to as my "Somewhere Near" gauge because it was a cheap Chinese thing (in a pound shop! :o ) and now has more slop than a seriously sloppy thing so i only use it for measurements that can be read on the main scale.

On 21/01/2018 at 10:47 AM, Laird_Scooby said:

Not sure. :blink: Bottom scales are Metric, top scales are Imperial if that helps? :huh:

It would be useful if the image showed the rest of the "Very Near" gauge but how the lower set of graduations are lining up against the main lower scale suggests it's going to be somewhere in the order of 51.5 or 51.6mm.

Even if you said it was 52mm, there is going to be plenty of breathing space around the bulb between it and the inside of the plastic lens. Filament/incandescent bulbs get pretty hot so they would have designed a fairly large gap between the two.

o yes, oops.  i didn't spot that the top scale was imperial.  i spent ages trying to work out the top scale - i thought it was for the part of a mm.  

now its coming back to me.  the bottom sliding scale gives the part of a mm up to 2 dp, i think, but it is down to interpretation to spot the closest line.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Founding Member
On 06/02/2018 at 10:21 PM, hughezee said:

IMAG0345%5B1%5D.jpg

The picture is not the most flattering to the orange, in the flesh or at night it's so clearly orange even more than before....

I saw it yesterday. I was gobsmacked at how modern it made the car look. I think it would look awesome on my dark blue V6.... Maybe one day ?

• Like 2

• Moderators

Isn't it odd how a slightly different retro-look can make a car seem modern? Going back a few years, all the latest rear lighting was clear until lit, now it seems to have gone full circle and is all red until lit when the relevant parts change to orange, red, white as necessary.

This is surely retro-modern look if it had to be defined?

Either way, i wasn't sure when i first saw it - now i definitely like it! ;):D

• Like 3

• The topic was pinned