Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Power Steering Fluid 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Administrators

Yes new fluid is clear and the old fluid should be orangey brown colour that’s normal, just empty the reservoir well till it’s almost empty and then refill to max mk. The results should be immediate if not at least by the time you have used the whole bottle ^_^

Also space out  the changes between when the car is driven over the next week or so and report back on how the steering feels ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Founding Member

I replaced the power steering cooling pipe and lost a little fluid in the process.  Still above minimum, but is there any specific fluid I should use to top it up?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hi Paul,

check the filler cap, it usually says on there what it needs. On mine it is Dexron II-D and i'm sure on my last Accord coupé it was the same but i've a feeling your generation Accord coupé specifies something different.

Stu will probably be along soon with a definite answer but check the PAS fluid filler cap just to see if it does say.

• Like 1

• Administrators

The Honda power steering fluid is a special blend with the pump in mind as the rest of the system is basically the same as any other hydraulic steering system. Also the Honda fluid doesn't mix well with other off the shelf fluids and has a tendency to form foam and this can lead to heavy steering and pump damage ;)

So basically your looking for Honda PSF-S fluid Part Number-08284-99902HE or the alternative I've been using with good results is linked below :)

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Accord Coupe Power Steering Fluid Service
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Ordered 2 litres from these guys yesterday and when I got in from work tonight there they were ,! 

Stunning service :D

Straight out to the new Accord to start the change. ...

• Like 2

• The topic was pinned
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Finally run out of ps fluid and the best price i could find is now 14 quid plus delivery .

The Elysion still has a minor leak which i haven't managed to track down yet, suspect is a fitting behind the engine, above the chassis against the bulkhead...just can't get to it as Honda managed to cram a big engine into a small space 😬 

Whilst perusing that well known auction shite looking for stuff I don't really need ! , I came across a guy selling two bottles of the stuff...we agreed a price of £11.00 bottle .

As I don't think I will use two up in the next year then if anyone wants the spare bottle when it arrives its yours for same cost plus postage of course, no idea what that will be yet but just cost is fine.

• Like 1

• Administrators
12 hours ago, PTR200S said:

The Elysion still has a minor leak which i haven't managed to track down yet, suspect is a fitting behind the engine, above the chassis against the bulkhead...

Doesn't sound good in that area could be the top seal on the rack, I have had great success with the Lucas stuff, my power steering fluid is running very clean since using it too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Out of interest Stu, have you ever tried ATF-U/Valvoline or smilar ATF for PAS fluid? I've been using it for quite a while in mine, (both) and it seems to have sorted minor weps and gives light (but nicely weighted), quiet and smooth steering in both. Also worked well in the Jeep that had a steering box - better than Dexron II-D which was the specified fluid.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...