Subscriptions & Donations ×

New Power Steering Fluid 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Administrators
Quick and simple way to keep your hydraulic assisted steering light and responsive, always use genuine Honda fluid when topping up no exceptions. However, if your replacing a part of the system I would say using high-quality Mineral ATF for a complete system flush and re-fill is OK

DSC02869.jpgDSC02868.jpg

With the engine shut off, extract the reservoir fluid and re-fill to the max, repeat this process as often as you like I do it once every three months and the fluid is gin clear.;)
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Inspired by Stus post i ordered a 100ml syringe and 5L of Dexron II D ATF as specified on the lid of the reservoir of my Rover 827 Sterling. Having recently indulged in one of those "kettle-ready" noodle type snacks, the empty container served duty as a temporary vessel to store and inspect the fluid extracted from the reservoir. Being white it showed all the dirt!

So here i am ready to start :

2014-09-07_16-18-20_108.jpg

First bit of fluid out :

2014-09-07_16-19-35_850.jpg

A bit more out and the dirt is becoming evident :

2014-09-07_16-19-54_12.jpg

The second syringe full and you really can see just how bad my fluid was!

2014-09-07_16-21-21_403.jpg

All in all i got about 250-260ml of fluid out with a top-up between the 1st and second syringe full.. Given the fact i emptied the reservoir first before topping up, running and then taking the second syringe, you can see how much dirt this shifted! The steering is getting lighter and smoother although it still has the odd "rough moment", hopefully that will improve further when i do a couple more part changes in a few days time.

Will update with more photos/experience as and when i do more part-changes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

Hi all,

Just wanted to get an idea from the 3.0 owners as to how heavy/light their steering is? My previous 3.0 was very light and I could do a full lock with just my pinky which was in line with all the previous Hondas I owned. Whereas my current 3.0 is a lot heavier but feels very in control and "German" (I know that's probably a swear word on here) if you know what I mean?

There's no screeching from the power steering pump and the belt looks fine and the fluid has never needed topping up?

Any thoughts?

• Administrators

Nobody likes Germs and I steer clear  :lol: pardon the pun... Last time I got Germs the steering was very light and disconnected  -_- and if the fluid needs topping up after 10 years in a honda there's a leak somewhere  :huh: if you're lucky enough so far with no top ups I would recommend doing some part changes on the fluid  ;) my cars get a drop of new fluid 4-5 times a year and its lighter than EPS steering but connected when cornering B)

A few other members have taken the plunge and there's been a noticeable improvement in their steering  :D

• Founding Member
On 10/13/2014 at 9:34 PM, AhsyV6 said:

Are you saying that just replacing the power steering fluid could lighten the steering?

It did on mine, I emptied and refilled the reservoir 3 times in a week to get as much of the old fluid out as possible, I noticed it slightly, my wife said it made a real difference to her.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Founding Member

Honda Power steering fluid isn't expensive to be honest, it comes in 1lt bottles.

I've swapped the fluid out by drawing a syringe full out every other day over a week and replacing as I went along, does make the steering feel better.

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-power-steering-fluid-1-litre-p-895.html

Drop Stu (Hughezee) a PM on here he keeps all Honda Fluids in stock.

• 3 weeks later...

hi Guys

can I use this to change my fluid for my power steering? "STP Power steering fluid 350ml for Dextron 2 or dextron 3? or slick 50 power steering fluid as this one stops leaks in the system? Im  gonna use the syringe method of getting the old stuff out, and pour in the good stuff.

cheers

Edwin

post-59-0-54295300-1427317165.jpg

post-59-0-72663600-1427317257.jpg

• Administrators

cryistic makes a fare comment buddy, you can spread it out over a few days or months which ever you prefer using Honda fluid  ;)  but if your determined not use Honda fluid I suggest a full change to avoid any issues e.g Removing the lower cooler pipe hose a leave it to drain out when cold and refill and not forgetting to bleed the system of air with the engine running and both front wheels raised of the ground turning the steering wheel a full left & right repeatedly until the reservoir level has settled.

Also I would repeat this a couple of times and I would recommend a fully synthetic ATF dexron 5 or 6 nothing less :huh:

Ok Stu

the post I saw was a guy who used a syringe and sucked out the reservoir and then filled back up ,is that right? on wheeler dealers there replaced the reservoir and to bleed it, there refilled and started engine and turned steering wheel from left to right to bleed system. Are you saying I would have to jack the front up and turn wheel left to right. is there a reason for jacking up the front? so if im getting this right ,cysitic sucked some of the fluid  and then replaced it with new fluid? so do you suck out half and then replace it with new fluid, is that right ? theres nothing wrong with mine (fluid does look a little dark,don't know when it was changed issue!) , so its not a repair STU..

cheers

Edwin

• Administrators

Yeah there a several extraction methods you can use, suck some out and refill with same fluid ;) in regards to wheeler dealers there are number of episodes where Edd China in fact replaced major steering components e.g the steering rack itself and this would require a system bleed same if you wanted to use a different fluid to Honda fluid as the two don't mix well together.

Also the reason taking the weight of the wheels is to prevent damage to valves and regulators located in the pump and steering rack, as air trapped can pop seals or allow the pump to over heat ect and finally your power steering fluid should be gin clear or restively translucent with tint of brown if the system is healthy.

;)

• Founding Member

I sucked a syringe full out every day for 4 days and topped it up, working on the same pricipal as a transmission flush, the old mixes with the new and after a few days you have good clean fluid in the pump, at no point does the pump run empty so reduces any chance of issues.

At no point did i suck the reservoir dry though, always left enough to cover the outlet/inlet pipes to avoid air ingress.

Cant see why you would not use Honda Fluid to be honest your making a lot of work for yourself to save a few quid, I don't really hold to everything has to be OEM on Hondas apart from the power steering fluid, couple of people I know with Civics swapped the fluid for Dex 2 and they had problems with the steering after, lack of centering and poor assistance being the main issues. 

I've actually heard of people using Honda PSF in other cars power steering systems to fix niggling issues but never the other way round.

I've got 1/3rd of a bottle left after swapping some of my fluid out, I could feel the difference just with that 1/3 total change . 2 Bottles seem to be the full amount for a flush but I'm just swapping some out as I change the oil/check the engine over.

Couple of links

http://hondamotorsport.com/3-honda-fluid-alternatives-cant-afford-use/

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2720114

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=735431

• Like 2

• Moderators

Err, yeah, what Stu said or to put it another way, if you feel you must use something, use one or the other but NOT both!

As for Dextron, no such fluid exists although i've seen it listed many times. The fluid in question is Dexron - there's no "T" in it. Any "T" around should remain firmly in your cup until such time as you drink it and not get mixed up with your PAS fluid. It'll do neither you or your PAS any good that way! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Getting back on topic, the best thing to do would be to do several part changes of the fluid using the syringe and fresh Dexron II, allowing 4-7 days between part changes. When the fluid is coming out as clean as it went in you know you've changed it all but getting any contaminants out will improve matters.

This is assuming you don't already have leaks from the rack, pump or anywhere else in the system - if so it's best to sort those first before messing around with additives that may make matters worse.

• Like 1

Right Guys  My syringe came yesterday and its 100ml, so i withdrew 100ml and replaced it with genuine honda  fluid (its Clear,is that right?), so i'll be doing that until the bottle is empty.when do you think i see some notice of change guys?also as the existring fuild is red and my HONDA fluid is Clear, would this be a problem?

Edwin