Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Elysion Today?

PTR200S

• Moderators

Here is the puncture culprit, not a roofing nail after all, (definitely looked like it !).... appears to be a crosshead set screw in a previous life. possibly a small diameter roofing bolt.......how it managed to go vertically, at right angles, into the tyre is strange...

puncture_roofing_nail_3.jpg

Tyre fixed using a proper mushroom head rubber plug.... from the inside obviously !!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Bit of a bath, the V6 still looks good over a year down the line and used as a dual purpose vehicle, works and family ops. Did I mention the stonking V6 motor? !

Still got a niggling PS leak, very slow, plus that coolant leak, from a heated intake pipe, has come back to haunt me....on the V6 motor, ...did I mention that V6 250bhp motor ??? !! 😍

Elly__1_100619.jpg

Elly-2-100619.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Managed to get nearside front wheel and caliper off this morning before I got rained off ⛈️🙄

The caliper bolts are rust free and undid easily .

brake-pad-1.jpg

The slider pins are free and easy, pad ears free from crap and corrosion...

brake-pad-2.jpg

Pads down to less than 5mm but clean, disk is good with minimal lip but does have "plucked" look to it. 

brake-pad-3.jpg

brake-pad-4.jpg

Pad has probably been stuck in the past sometime, maybe whilst sat on the docks waiting for export.

Definitely looks beaten up but in theory still usable.

brake-pad-5.jpg

Rain stopped play before the disk runout check... another day methinks......

• Like 1

• Moderators

Also found yet another fastener missing from the wheelarch under liner...why don't people just do the job properly and put them back ?? arrrgggghhhh

You can see the wear marks on the inner arch where it has been flapping back and forth, the only thing holding it on is lower down under the front crossmember.

Couple of seconds and its in !!

missing-fixing-1.jpg

missing-fixing-2.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

The disk thickness is down to about 20 thou short of 28mm..  i believe the nominal thickness new is 29mm so these disks should clean up.

As the rain is now coming down in biblical proportions and has been doing for some 36 hours operations have switched to finishing the Ark .

Oh, and a bit of migging on a mates cock and rake.....😲.....indoor jobs !!!

Might wash the Elysion too......🌊

• Like 2

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

migging on a mates cock 😲

The bind moggles! :o

Brings tears to your eyes at the very least!

20 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

The disk thickness is down to about 20 thou short of 28mm..  i believe the nominal thickness new is 29mm so these disks should clean up.

That's certainly within spec i would think, i have a sneaking doubt that skimming the disc will help. Does your pressure washer have an adjustable lance so you can get a needle jet out of it? If so, can you rig the disc up on something so it can be turned easily? I don't mean the axle either, one slip with the pencil jet and you might have to renew a CV boot as well!

I'm thinking blast the vent holes clean, rust build up might be causing enough of an imbalance to only show under braking (not during normal driving) - i know it's a bit of a stretch of the imagination but you've been through the rest of the normal suspects so worth a try. ;):D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Got in from work , off until Tuesday now so thought I should get on with those jobs that keep getting put off !!

That coolant leak for a start and as I have to take the air intake / filter unit off then I can also get to the gearbox filler cap at the same time which means another transmission oil part change wants doing !

As I am underneath it would be rude not to do an oil and filter change too, so that is the first job as the oil is hot... New Honda filter to go and I am contemplating trying magnatec this time.

Off with the engine cover first followed by the battery out. Then dismantle the air intake from filter to throttle body to give enough space to get a 17mm socket on a 12 inch bar onto the gearbox filler bolt.  Always check to make sure you can get this filler bolt out BEFORE you drain the oil the atf !!!

It took some shifting, had to resort to a long bar to crack the bolt.

As I have some chores at home to do these jobs will get done over the next couple of days.

Pics to follow 😃

• Like 1

• Moderators

Shiny new filter, correct type !!! mated with magnatec to test ..

20190906-090811.jpg

Here is the offending leak of coolant, all that pink stuff has dropped off an 5/16th  id hose about 5 inches long connecting the air intake to the throttle valve.

The connection is on the throttle valve lower and runs up behind the intake hose and connects to a dual flow and return pipe behind the engine, bugger to get at.

20190906-090523.jpg

20190906-090534.jpg

Here it is, the hose is rock 'ard !!!  

20190906-094241.jpg

Whilst all this lot is out I can get to the filler for the gearbox, the big 17mm cap nut you can see in this pic, right down in the bowels at the back of the engine compartment...bearing in mind that this is a van and the engine sits partially under the bulkhead 😛

20190906-090644.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

New coolant pipe and clips... obviously cut to fit !!

The old one is next to the new one here but is really hard and "welded" into the shape you see !! Definitely would not have been like that when you see the proximity of the connections...

20190906-120728.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators

Great work Pete 👍 me personally I gave up on trying to replace OEM hoses with aftermarket and replicate bends, waste of my time IMO. When I did it on the odyssey once they warmed up they would kink and restrict flow even with a reinforced hose... 😮 Sometimes you can get away with it with extra length of pipe but then it rubbed against too many metal surfaces or parts for me to confidently leave it...

• Like 4

• Moderators

I know what you mean re original stuff and i would replace it if i could but there are none like this in the country. I need the van on Tuesday so needs must !

The good news is that the hose does not touch or interfere with anything else so i should get away with it, still trying to track a proper part number as Cox Honda can probably get it. Andy at Cox will be on case Monday !!

• Like 3

• Moderators

Well Elly is all back together , i just hope that the coolant leak is from the pipe because i found some corrosion on the connector elbow on the throttle pot..tested it to full heat and no leaks but it needs fully testing this next week to make sure.

Gearbox smooth on downshifts now, just over 3 litres of atf used on the part change so another change in a few months.

• Like 3

• Moderators
6 hours ago, PaulS said:

I often put some silicone grease on suspect joints and this has semed to work - even on high pressure fuel lines when O rings are tired but cannot be replaced....

I'm a big fan of silicone grease for a similar reason and use it even on new "O" rings as it allows them to move slightly as the part is fitted which first of all makes life easier and secondly allows the "O" ring to move to the gas/liquid tight position easier and helps prevent snagging which can twist the "O" ring causing leaks. The silicone does help replace some of the lost natural oils from the rubber, in effect swelling it back to its original size and flexibility. Obviously has its limits but is usually a good "first call" on an old "O" ring to try and revive it. ;):D

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 9/6/2019 at 10:33 AM, PTR200S said:

Here is the offending leak of coolant, all that pink stuff has dropped off an 5/16th  id hose about 5 inches long connecting the air intake to the throttle valve.

The connection is on the throttle valve lower and runs up behind the intake hose and connects to a dual flow and return pipe behind the engine, bugger to get at.

Here it is, the hose is rock 'ard !!!  

20190906-094241.jpg

Just managed to trace this having found a parts number facility for the Elysion 😅 

$2.30 ....... Plus shipping of just shy of 30 dollars !!!! From States.

Few of inches of pipe, weighs fek all....

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Do you know anyone stateside Pete that could buy it, have it shipped to them (or even collect for free) then send it to you for a lot less than 30 bucks?

Yep, son lives there !!  He checked it out, they want over ten dollars to ship it to him! And then plus cost for him to send to me, in both cases, direct or indirect, there is a chance of getting picked off for import checking.  Although not taxable, too low a cost, you still get stuffed with the carriers "investigation" cost ......

• Like 3

• Moderators

Having not cleaned Elly for some weeks and now having difficulty seeing through the windows it was about time for a clean....seeing as the new disks are not even close to hand !!

Whilst under the front I discovered the rubber lip under the spoiler had become detached, presumably on one of our well maintained roads. Further investigation showed the locating holes for the push pin fixings were still intact...this means that someone in the past has not bothered to fit it properly rather than physical damage.

The way the lip fits means its not visibly wrong, I have never noticed it either, and only shows up when joggled out of place.  Just the sort of thing to get ripped off on the rough roads and you can bet your last dollar the lips won't be cheap from Honda !!

Another check on the coolant hose under the throttle body shows it bone dry now so another job off the list.

The gearbox level is still a bit high but nowhere near what it was before the part change, another part change in a couple months and hopefully I can get it corrected properly.

Next job, clean out the inside !!!

• Like 2

• Administrators
8 hours ago, PTR200S said:

The gearbox level is still a bit high but nowhere near what it was before the part change, another part change in a couple months and hopefully I can get it corrected properly.

I would sort that sooner rather than later a little low is ok, but being overfilled puts stress on the gearbox seal and seen plenty of leaks as a result...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1