Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Moderators

Thanks Stu - it's the remains of the infection that i had for 6-8 weeks before xmas, just about got rid of it a week or so before xmas but caught every cold etc going since with the remains of that infection still floating around inside me.

I've had a look at the other topic and a virtual drive down Memory Lane on Bills video. I've left a comment about the mount, it looks pretty grim to me but have to say the exhaust sounds nice. It is slurring its changes a wee bit though, hopefully they should sharpen up with the new ATF and a new mount. ;):D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps....

Yes, they eventually arrived today after they said yesterday they would send another 6. The original 6 were ordered on the 28th of December! Never arrived...???

So now to fit. Any learned advice will be appreciated, although I have a pretty good idea. :) Will get the back 3 out of the way first.

They are Denso K16TT - we will see. Here is the Link if anyone is interested: http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/denso-spark-plugs-fiat-punto-188-1-2-60-twin-tip-k16tt/

Zp8yozc.jpg

Ciao. :)

Just a quick bit of advice......

I know they say that the Gap on the Plugs are preset - these supposedly to 1.1mm - I thought I would check them today before fitting them tomorrow, which I do by force of habit anyway, and found that i could not even get a 1mm in the gap. And they were all exactly the same, all 0.9mm. I know it doesn't sound much but it equals a 20% irregularity!

So do not trust what they say. ;) Check the Gap. :)

• Moderators

Do either the earth or main electrodes have a groove in them Bill? If so did you allow 0.2mm for this? :o:huh:

Nah - i'm teasing! While there could possibly be an argument for that theory it doesn't hold water as the spark will jump the smallest gap and if you can only slide a 0.9mm feeler between the electrodes then that's what the gap is. ;):D

The reason the grooves are there is it gives a couple of sharp edges on each electrode which gives a "focal point" for the spark to jump - there is a proper name for this but i can't remember it just now. It has also been said by some manufacturers these grooves intensify the corona discharge effect - whether there's any truth (or benefit) in this i don't know and unless fuel burns better in ionised air i doubt it. ;):D

• Like 1

Hi...... :)

Well, I fitted my new Denso K16TT Spark Plugs this morning - nice that it was sunny because it was hovering around 3 degrees 'C'! But in the blazing Sunshine it felt quite nice... ;) 

I have posted photo's of the Spark plugs that I removed, NGK-R ZFR5F-11, and I think they looked just about had it.... Although all burning nicely in my humble opinion. :)

There were a couple of things which displeased me somewhat, and that was that none of the plugs were very tight, in fact number 5 was only a little more than finger tight and were all easily removed with one of these:  cqW76sQ.jpg

Another thing was the Gaps, they were all hovering around the 1.25 - 1.3 mark! (S/B 1.1). Either they were not checked when they were fitted, or the Electrode had just worn away.

Here is a photo of the new plugs: EZ17Rye.jpg

And the removed NGK's..... (Number 1 is Front Left and 6 is Back Right). aQBVUDh.jpg

ewXG7H8.jpg

akLchY6.jpg

DGemMF1.jpg

GYouaJC.jpg

I did start and all were firing - will test later. 

Comments welcome. :)

• Moderators

If the plug gap was correctly set on your old ones originally Bill they've been in 15-20K miles - a plug gap increases by 0.1mm per 10k miles on a normal engine.

If they weren't set correctly and were 0.9mm out of the box like yours were then you could add 20k on! ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators

You could always add a few more gauges to those two and measure the gap that way Bill! ;)

Something i forgot to say earlier is almost all of those plugs were either misfiring or would in the not too distant future. That brown ring round the insulator where it joins the metal body of the plug is responsible. Also with the extra gap it would be harder for the coil to fire those plugs anyway.

It should sound and feel a lot smoother and more responsive now anyway! ;):D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

You could always add a few more gauges to those two and measure the gap that way Bill! ;)

I know, I just wanted to show the Gap left after ,9mm had been inserted. I have a full set of Feeler Gauges to get the correct Gap. I used a .5 and a .6 to get the correct Gap on the new ones. ;)

NB. Just to add on to that - I remember when my father used to leave me to set the points and plugs, after fitting them and a basic static timing on his cars, one being a TR3..... I was 10 at the time. :D 

Gave the Coupe a good clean yesterday and a bit of detailing today - too blooming cold to do it all in one go! (Covered overnight).

I have to sadly say that I really didn't like the way the Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer went on and polished off, just didn't feel right. Felt very sticky and did in no way leave any a better shine than before I used it. Also normally after polishing the rag would slide down the bonnet - no ways with this - wasn't smooth at all.

FQGgUss.jpg?1

Compared to the Auto-Glym Rapid Detailer or 3M's Quick Wax there was no comparison - chalk and cheese! And before you say it, I've been using products like these for many a year... ;) In fact I find A-G's HD Wax easier to use with better results. So I think this will be relegated to the "when-I-have-nothing-else" Pile.

Anyway, I did persevere and do the whole car. And now she's tucked-up in Bed..... :D

FRzBv0T.jpg

• Administrators
On 07/12/2016 at 3:49 PM, hughezee said:

The Sonax is pretty good but you'll need a good finish on you paint as it will reveal any scratches when used, the demon shine will fill the scratches and give you effortless shine it's the lazy option but it coats the car in a layer, which is also difficult to get it off when painting or touching up the body parts on the car, thanks Geoff :rolleyes:

The car needs to be decontaminated for this stuff to work correctly, as takes off your previous efforts easily

• Like 2

So you are saying it has removed all the other polish I have applied previously?

If it has I will be pretty damned peeved! Nowhere on the label it states this - it even goes so far as to state that it can be used on slightly soiled surfaces!

If that is the case, it's definitely File 13 where it belongs!  t1933.gif

• Founding Member

I agree Bill the Sonax does apply very differently to most conventional liquid sprays and waxes. However for me the reason I love it so much is due to a combination cost, size of bottle, finish and the manner in which it repels water. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after seeing how your Sonaxed coupe reacts in the rain? 

Just for the record this stuff does not strip any of your hard work applied to the paintwork and is just detailer which can also be applied to lightly dusty paintwork as  the per the usp on all detailing spray. However this is a practice I stay away from for obvious reasons. 

Imo it all comes down to personal preference and experimenting with different products.....if I like something I like to share it on the forum. 

ps I must say the smell of the BSD makes me feel like sipping a virgin pina colada by the pool and listening to Club Tropicana! 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, AhsyV6 said:

Just for the record this stuff does not strip any of your hard work applied to the paintwork and is just detailer which can also be applied to lightly dusty paintwork as  the per the usp on all detailing spray. However this is a practice I stay away from for obvious reasons. 

Example T-CUT colour match has been applied to the car and it has a deep shine and all light surface scratches are gone (filled), spray sonax on it and all the marks reappear or it smears the finish. Although don't get me wrong its great product which I use every week but the car needs to be super clean and all the scratch light scratches cut or clay barred out first.

All I ask Ahsy is try a mainstream product that vast majority of people use to get quick stunning result with the minimum of effort and then spray on sonax afterwards or a few days later to bring back the shine and report back ;)

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Demon Shine every time for me.  It smells lovely, like icing and, as we say in the Midlands, it gives "bostin" results.  Personally, I prefer to drive my car than spend my life waxing it so its jet washed to remove the dirt.  Driving back home dries the car slightly, then I'll apply the Demon Shine.  Job done.  Then, when the weather gets warmer I'll give it a proper wax say once a month, then inbetween waxes I won't even get it jet washed, I'll just use the Demon Shine.

The Demon Shine I think acts like an invisible shield stopping bird poo, dirt etc getting through to the paint.  

Beep Beep.  ;)

• Like 1

Well, I find cleaning and polishing very therapeutic - not to mention quite good exercise.... :) And I do drive it when need be. Sadly pleasure cruising is a thing of the past now, so I have to other means to get pleasure out of her.

So I went over the car with the 3M Quick Wax today. So much different to use, and it doesn't matter if it dries off a bit as it's a Wax with Carnuba anyway. Also gave her a quick vacuum and a wipe inside.

Also checked Fluid levels and all were OK. So back under the Cover she went. (If anyone is interested this is the Cover I bought for the R75) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAYPOLE-WATERPROOF-LARGE-CAR-COVER-MP9333-FITS-4-2M-4-8M-/282280878707?hash=item41b9406273:g:SmAAAOSwImRYRZkw

Oh, and took some photo's...... Like you do. :D

And I always wear Cotton Gloves. ;)

58PCh7y.jpg

After 3M....

6bFWTQk.jpg

BtxU2Uh.jpg

62jp0l6.jpg?1

YQdBG4q.jpg?1

It actually does have the proper Original Accord Fitted Mats front & rear, but I like to cover them with some cheapies I bought, especially in Winter. ;)

m1ByL7w.jpg

Oil,  ATF & Coolant: All good there. :)

oWk8WbO.jpg

NZqchpA.jpg?1

FBS9p56.jpg?1

And back to bed  for the night. :D

PBtXPXS.jpg

Sorry, I know - I should get out more...... :(

• Founding Member

I must say she's looking mint, on par with Ahsy's I think, and his is mirror finish too.  Excellent.  Mine is my daily driver to work and back (about 10 miles) so getting dirty at this time of the year is unavoidable. Roll on the light nights so when I get home I can spend time on her.  

I agree, cleaning and waxing is very soothing and satisfying when, after hours of work and aching arms, you stand back and admire the shine.  Lovely.  

• Like 1

• Administrators

Think Bill's motor is helped by being a darker colour one of the reasons why I like dark finishes and no offence to Bill and his cracking coupe or your eyesight Geoff but Ahsy's motor is light years ahead of any of our coupes by comparison and the only reason why mine looks just as good close up is because I have fresh paint on the majority of the car and its easy for me to maintain that  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

I must say she's looking mint, on par with Ahsy's I think, and his is mirror finish too.  Excellent.  Mine is my daily driver to work and back (about 10 miles) so getting dirty at this time of the year is unavoidable. Roll on the light nights so when I get home I can spend time on her.  

I agree, cleaning and waxing is very soothing and satisfying when, after hours of work and aching arms, you stand back and admire the shine.  Lovely.  

Thank you, that is indeed very kind of you to say so sir..... t2002.gif 

1 hour ago, hughezee said:

Think Bill's motor is helped by being a darker colour one of the reasons why I like dark finishes and no offence to Bill and his cracking coupe or your eyesight Geoff but Ahsy's motor is light years ahead of any of our coupes by comparison.... 

Agree wholeheartedly.... ;)