Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Founding Member

I've never used the 3m wax but have always heard great things about it....I've used their polishes and have a litre of Ultrifina in my boot. Extremely rated products in the detailing industry. The last spray wax i opted for was Optimum Car Wax.....quality product but not cost effective for me. 

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

Just like you Bill I have always described detailing my coupe (or any car) as therapeutic. Just wish I had the space like you to do it more often. Preparing my friends Merc this weekend for sale. 

With regards to my process after I've washed the coup .....I either spray on demon shine or Triplewax Waterless Shine whilst wet and then dry off......brilliant finish and nips and water marks in the bud. If i feel like it or have the time I'll give it a quick BSD afterwards. 

I sealed it with a 2 stage  Carlack paint cleaner and sealant a few months back and am so impressed still. Got plenty left but will look at a ceramic coating for my next experiment......that could be a couple of years away at least! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Tinted rear screen? Extra rear frog light? :huh:

The Rear Screen has been tinted since I bought it - it used to have the same tint on the side windows but I removed them... ;)

No extra Foglight................................... Yet! :)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

Very nice products you're using on the coupe. Will you machine polish it? Thanks for the kind words about mine. 

Mine are 17" and they will take 215's but I have 225's

Erm, sorry, bit behind on some responses!!

Not sure about machine polishing, what's the lacquer like on these cars?

Do you use Farecla G3?

Mine are 16" and 205 / 55

• Founding Member
16 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Erm, sorry, bit behind on some responses!!

Not sure about machine polishing, what's the lacquer like on these cars?

Do you use Farecla G3?

Mine are 16" and 205 / 55

I've found the laquer to hold up well on both my coupes. You may know that jap paints are typically softer than German paints just in case you ever do machine polish. I have seen a few coupes that suffer from peeling laquer on bonnets, roofs and bootlids 

I haven't personally tried the G3 (polish/compound) but Stu swears by it as do others on this forum. I have only used their mitt and swear by it. 

• Like 3

• Founding Member
On 4 February 2017 at 7:27 AM, PTR200S said:

There are one or two tiny dings in it that the camera  doesnt pick up at that angle but generally, as you say , looks good :)

Thanks for the heads up on the lube, i have ordered detailing spray anyway as i an running low but I do usually use water with clay . However, not with shampoo, do you just use standard stuff, no waxes involved?

I have Bilt Hambers "straight" version !! 

Hopefully mitt will arrive today but i am working this morning so may not be a chance to play until later or even tomorrow :mellow:

I have some BH clay and I always used it with water and I just personally felt you get the same results as detailing spray. 

I just use standard Autoglym Shampoo Conditioner to wash the car and also clay the car with the mitt.

Off to snow foam the coupe now as its the filthiest it's been in over a year! 

• Like 3

• The topic was pinned
  • Moderators
On 1/25/2017 at 3:02 PM, Mangoman said:

Give this man a banana! - Yes, the VTEC decal. I was bored...lol. :)

And yes, just the light. :(

What size vtec did you buy?

I quite like the idea and have found some online 100mm x 11mm, is that the size of your badge/emblem..????

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

What size vtec did you buy?

I quite like the idea and have found some online 100mm x 11mm, is that the size of your badge/emblem..????

Hello.

The size of the one I bought is 95mm X 14mm.

I bought it from this chap, but offered him £2.25 and he said OK. It was quickly delivered and well packaged. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201792950087#ht_500wt_1414 

I attached it using this type tape: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Multi-Purpose-Double-Sided-Adhesive-Automotive-Foam-Car-Trim-Body-Tape-DIY-/271083533812?var=570120360699&hash=item3f1dd675f4:m:mVW4EF7zAxwZEGYBpiZxKjA

I've used this Tape for many years and have lost nothing yet!

Ciao.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Hello.

The size of the one I bought is 95mm X 14mm.

I bought it from this chap, but offered him £2.25 and he said OK. It was quickly delivered and well packaged. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201792950087#ht_500wt_1414 

I

Ah, I saw those, think there is another one left but this is the one I was looking at.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182310238732?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 2

Well, it wasn't exactly today but about a week ago now I had a think about fitting the 9005 Main Beam Bulbs as the Dipped Beams. The reasons for this is that I have always preferred the XTEC Bulbs to the MTEC ones, not to mention the 9005's are 65w, unlike the 9006's 55w. Also the Colour Spectrum is better, 4200 instead of 4350. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is quite different from behind the wheel.

Oh, and I nearly forgot that they came on special at £4.95...!!!! Bargain... :D  Link:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xtec-9005-hb3-12v-65w-Super-White-Upgrade-Bulbs-/271803740803?hash=item3f48c3f283:g:AwAAAOSwstxVAY0b 

The fitting is I was told actually identical but the Electrical Connections were different. (See Photo). That is why generally you cannot fit them by mistake incorrectly.

So I removed the Internal Tags from the 9005's and fitted them as Low Beams. And what a difference! Quite remarkable..... So remarkable I've binned the idea of LED's now.

p8kWuPz.jpg

I also fitted as the Main Beams - so all matching up  now. :D:D 

NB. I removed the Tabs with a hot scalpel knife.

Right, it seems I have hit a bit of a snag that I really was not expecting....

The Centre Rear Light Light seams to be 'Sealed' in on either end. (See Photos)

And it really does not seam to want to budge! (Have removed all 10 Nuts).

And it looks like it is supposed to be like that as you can see it has been painted with the rest of the car...???

Any suggestions please??? :)

Thank in advance.

7pf5okD.jpg

k0C0mQS.jpg

ps. The Water Ingress is definitely here as Water dripped out from the Light Recesses.

• Moderators

Are those drain holes clear Bill? They look clear on the photo but there's no substitute for poking something through them.

I'm having a rough guess the previous owner had water ingress into the rear lights and used something like RTV/silicone sealant to try and prevent it and that's why it doesn't want to move. That said the gaskets can (as you know from the R75) dry out and cause the cluster to stick - have you tried something like WD40 or similar to see if that helps and then tease each end gently from one point slowly easing along from top to bottom (or bottom to top) to see if that helps release it? :huh:

• Like 2

• Administrators

Hmm couldn't really see what you meant regards sealed on until seeing your more recent post(s) very strange never seen one stuck, the unit is curved so flexing the lid normally free it off without a problem I've done a few now. So I think you might have unnecessarily removed the sealant in all honesty :rolleyes: unless the car has had a repair of some sort in the past ;):o 

Great post follow-up and 5 rep points awarded for your trouble :)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Today was Davanti Day !

Two new donuts on the wheels, still to finish the wheels properly but need to get on so hence the tyres. £110 for two, valves,fitting and balancing.

ebZz2Yd.jpg

Can't wait to test them out but March 1st is still a ways off and I have other things to complete on the car.

Centre caps need cleaning off and spraying plus the "H" putting on and then lacquering.. 

• Like 2

Well, what have I been up to. Not a great deal to be honest

The day before yesterday I gave the car a good clean, which included the wheels, as in treating them to a proper wash with some A-G Custom Wheel Cleaner that I got for a Christmas present about 3 Christmases ago, and only used once previously on the Beemer.

dGn17HB.jpg

To be honest they were quite clean already but I thought I would spoil them a bit. :)

Also gave the paintwork a quick going over with 3M Quick-Wax.

And seeing as I had it laying around I thought I would practice my non-existent Vinyl Sticker skills.... 

And here are the results. :)  (Apologies for the bad light and annoying reflections)!! :(

TvlJ0jX.jpg

*** Note to self - PAINT THE CALIPERS RED!!!

ptoTBIm.jpg

sHr1FG6.jpg

ClZwRYa.jpg

These are what you call exhausts!  t2824.gif

WcfnGlS.jpg

And then I had a 'Play'..... :D

FWWwTqp.jpg

raNSch9.jpg?1

LpgKxwu.jpg?1

I plan to do another Mod at the end of the week, just waiting for the necessary bits.... :)

I'll keep you posted.

ps. It was nice to see a lot of activity in my absence! ;)