Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

1 hour ago, AhsyV6 said:

You've got some lovely paintwork there Bill......but I guess you know that already.

Thanks.... I have to say that I was quite lucky in that regard. :)

Although there are one or two places that have a couple noticeable scratches but I'm not going to bother getting them fixed - after all, it's not a new car and it gives it a bit of 'petina'...lol.

Did a couple of things today.....

First I did a 'Sump-Dump' of the ATF. The fluid that came out was like a Plum sort of colour, but quite translucent.

The Sump Plug was quite dirty though - which was disappointing.

I couldn't get the ATF Filler Plug out, my extension was just too short which left me with no other choice than to use the Dipstick aperture.

I came up with quite a novel idea though.

The outside diameter of the actual tube fitted nice and snug into the end of a piece of Hosepipe, and then at the other end an empty cartridge with the end cut off screwed nicely into the other end of the hosepipe. (See photo). It took no time at all to replace the 2.6 litres that drained out.

Also replaced the Trim Scrivets that came today on the Boot Trim that were missing. (See photo).

And finally replaced the plain plastic Valve Caps with some nice good quality S/S coated Brass Type-R ones. (See photo).

Had a cup of Tea whilst waiting for the Fluid to drain as per Dave's instruction. Not happy with all the gunk on the Sump Plug though! :(

i6yyK8M.jpg

e4nVGHt.jpg

The deposits:

qhxi0Zz.jpg

I did remove the Axle Stands after I had removed the Sump Plug to facilitate good drainage.

EsczILj.jpg

My ingenious Refill Method...lol. :D

ZhoLrS6.jpg

New Scrivets in place:

Bi3TXAj.jpg?1

New Dust Caps:

cFao6YN.jpg

And that's it folks........................................ 'till next time. :)

13 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Nice work there Bill! Have you given it a test-run yet? ;):D

Thanks Dave,

I did last night but there was so much traffic about I hardly got out of 3rd.... :( 

I also did the Reset on the Clock Fuse.

I have to say it did seem smoother between changes, and shorter aswell. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

• Moderators

Sounds good so far Bill! If you do a reset each time you do a part-change that will make the best of things. I know Stu favours doing the reset after the 3rd part-change, both methods have their merits and neither are wrong. I prefer to do a reset with the individual part-changes as that way the reset has been done in case a later part-change is postponed or worse still forgotten about. Also the improvements can be noticed more that way ;):D

Yes, all was well and good until I went out this morning to check levels only to find one of my new rear tyres as flat as a pancake!!! 

A blooming screw right in the centre if the tread.

£21.00 later all fixed, which to be honest I thought exorbitant.... :( Considering I had taken just the wheel and tyre in, not the whole car!

I wished I had asked how much it was going to be first because I would have walked straight out and gone to my local place that I know charges only £9.00

Not impressed.... t2412.gif

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mangoman said:

Yes, all was well and good until I went out this morning to check levels only to find one of my new rear tyres as flat as a pancake!!! 

A blooming screw right in the centre if the tread.

£21.00 later all fixed, which to be honest I thought exorbitant.... :( Considering I had taken just the wheel and tyre in, not the whole car!

I wished I had asked how much it was going to be first because I would have walked straight out and gone to my local place that I know charges only £9.00

Not impressed.... t2412.gif

It cost me £23 for the same Bill, they bump the cost up with a new valve, balance etc. and de/re mounting the tyre! :o If i could have taken the tyre off first and refitted it myself etc, it would only have been £13.

I think they deliberately price things like puncture repairs high so you're more inclined to just buy a new tyre. :angry:

What really peeved me off was the fact that I was only there a few days ago and bought 4 tyres from them and had them fitted, so I thought they might take that into consideration...!!! That is why I went there instead of the place down the road that I know only charges £9.00 because I took my daughters Merc tyre there a few weeks ago that had a puncture.

Personally I thought they were just taking the urine - quite a few people take my advice of where to go for stuff like this, of which I have used them on numerous occasions. They are definitely off my list now!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today seeing as it was quite nice and warm, relatively speaking, and dry, I did the second Sump-Dump of the ATF. But strangely the 1lt Bottle I bought smelt very different to the 4.55lt I bought - and it is the same stuff - well, that is what it says on the bottle.... But it had a strong smell it did! At least I only needed 200ml of it.

And whilst it was up on the stands I decided to do an Engine Flush/Filter/Oil Change. Also I have a nagging suspicion that when they changed the Oil last, that's all they did, was the Oil as the Filter looked like it had been there a long time and was really tight! (Idiots). But luckily I have a pair of Filter Pliers... :)

Another thing I noticed is that the Power Steering Unit looks decidedly new and blue. Well, compared to everything else under there... ;) Are they normally a pale blue?? Should have taken a photo I suppose.

And I did a Reset on the Fuse. But annoyingly it also Resets both my A & B Trip Logs. :( Normal??

Anyway, had a cuppa and now I'm going to give a blast and put some Juice in... Ciao. :D

• Moderators

Well done that man! I'm guessing it was a lot warmer "dahn sahf" than it was round here in the frozen tundra of fenland!

Sounds like a typical garage oil change or as i call it, paper servicing. On paper they've changed it and charged for it, in reality they've left the old filter on there to get clogged up and ruin the engine!

How does it drive now you've done it properly and the ATF as well? :huh:

• Like 2

Hello Dave, and thank you! Oh, and "Happy New Year"..... :D 

Yes, I hear what you're saying Dave.... And it certainly did feel very heavy, even after I emptied it! :( (And it was a cheapo Crossland).

It wasn't exactly warm, but it was sunny and a balmy 10 degrees 'C'. 

Well, I can honestly say the Engine felt a lot smoother and what I would say 'refined'. By the way this is the oil I used: http://www.mymesra.com.my/Passenger_Car_Motor_Oil-@-Syntium_800_10W-40.aspx  which I have used in all my recent cars and found it to be so much better, (and cheaper) than the Mobil I was using previously. In actual fact just by looking at it you can see the lovely clarity and smoothness!

Now, as far as the Gearbox goes, it feels ever so slightly better but that could just be the placebo effect. But as far as the 'Clonking' on Kick-Down' goes, it is still there. It genuinely feels like something is hitting the body of the car as you can feel it as well as hear it! But this is only at slow speeds, on the motorway it doesn't do it. It's almost like the bloody thing doesn't like poodling along - a bit like an over-tuned 2-Stroke! (I know because I used to own a Kawasaki H2 750 2-stroke triple that had been ported to hell and back).

Anyway I guess it is what it is....... c0314.gif

Still waiting for the blooming Spark Plugs though - they state that they're in stock but they negate to say that they are closed until the 4th Jan and that they have to order them.... Why bullshit! Annoys me big time! And I only found out this because I got fed up and sent them an E-Mail yesterday...... m1317.gif

So yes, life is good....lol...lol...lol. :)

• Moderators

Happy New year to you as well Bill!

When i first got this Volvo, it had a nasty rattle on start-up which suggested the oil filter was blocked. When i changed the oil in it, i weighed the new filter and it was about 400g - the old one was about 700g so had 300g+ of crud in it. Very little oil actually came out of it either when it was placed upside down in a tub. The oil and filter change cured the start-up rattle. Had a similar story on my previous 740 except that one was so badly blocked it actually caused the oil pressure switch to collapse and leak badly!

Both had allegedly been serviced recently. :rolleyes::angry:

I've never had a problem with Crosland filters, yes they're cheap but they seem to be fairly good nonetheless.

That's about 6-7 degrees warmer than it was here yesterday! My old washing machine is still sat on the patio (awaiting collection by the local scrap man) and has a "puddle" on the lid. Block of ice is a more accurate description, even with the sun on it!

Looks like a good oil, the C-series doesn't seem to like fully synthetic in my experience so i doubt i'll be changing to it though - also the tubs are only 4L which makes life expensive for me! As it stands at the moment, i can buy 3 5L tubs of semi-synth and change the oil in all 3 cars - two at 4.5L and one at 6L, works out nicely! :D

Have you checked your gearbox and engine mounts Bill? It seems the Accord V6 suffers somewhat on those so one (or more) could be letting go slowly but surely causing the clonking you're getting.

You sound very similar to me in the respect of getting annoyed when things don't land when they should. If the ad said they were away until whenever and it would take a few days to catch up with any orders after that you could then make an informed choice whether to wait at that price or pay more for a faster delivery from another supplier.

It always seems to be the sellers with the best prices that do this as well and reminds me of something i overheard in a scrapyard when i was about 18 or thereabouts. Bloke came in and asked if they had any Mk3 Cortina doors - yes mate, £30 each. They were only £20 each last week! I didn't have any then sir! ;):D

Hi Dave.

I tell you what mine must have weighed close to that sort of weight, and they're not the biggest of Filters! In fact the correct Bosch Filter I eventually got was nearly an inch longer than the one that came off.

It took 4.5 litres to refill to the Max mark. I always buy Oil when it's at its cheapest. I just get a 4 + 1 and I think it still only cost me about £17 odd. Can't complain really as it works out to £20 + change for Oil and a Filter. And at least you know what's gone in there... ;)

As far as the Mounts go I suppose they are on their way out - to be expected I really. Just a shame Stu lives so far away, it would be nice just to pop over sometimes to have him look it over. I'm loathe to spend money on something only to find out it doesn't make a blind bit of difference! 

Anyway Dave I hope all is good with you and I wish you Health, Wealth & Happiness for 2017 and years to come. Ciao buddy..... :)

• Moderators

Sounds like it was indeed full with gunge Bill! Good job you did it!

I normally buy 4 tubs of 5L 10W40 from ECP when they do their silly offers and one or two when they do the free filter offers. Usually i can get an average price of about £12-15 for an oil and filter change.

I don't know the price of the oil you use but i'm guessing the 1L tub is not only 1/4 the price of the 4L? It might pay you to buy 2 4L tubs once in a while and use the second one to add the extra half litre on each oil change?

Maybe Stu can offer some advice on checking the mounts? I know how i'd do it but suffering "brain drain" at the moment and can't put it into words - if the brain wakes up sometime soon i'll re-post with an idea.

I'm getting there thanks Bill, still not 100% as that infection took a second dose of antibiotics :o:rolleyes: and just about beginning to feel sort of human again now, amongst the variety of colds etc i've managed to catch through being below par. ;):D

• Administrators
On 05/01/2017 at 6:20 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Maybe Stu can offer some advice on checking the mounts? I know how i'd do it but suffering "brain drain" at the moment and can't put it into words - if the brain wakes up sometime soon i'll re-post with an idea.

Sorry to hear you're not well Dave :huh: and I hope you get better soon mate... Also, I have already discussed things with Bill on another topic ;)

• Like 2