Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Tyres do you have on your car "LIKE OR NOT"

Cryistic

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

*If a V rated tyre was supplied by a garage, I'd not be worried about the insurers, as long as I'd kept my gob shut. They'd be the ones saying they're fit for purpose.

Being slightly pedantic here, if a garage fitted a nitrous oxide system to your car and you were suddenly done for speeding, who would lose their licence?

Bottom line is it's down to the driver in the eyes of the law to be responsible and ensure they remain within the law, regardless of what a garage has done.

For arguments sake, you could say that we only need N rated tyres because the speed limit in the UK is 70mph on motorways and dual carriageways (unless otherwise stated on those roads) but try getting away with that with either insurers or the police.

speed-rating-table.png

Useful little chart there that covers most of the speed ratings, there are a few more (one is something like 56mph but i can't remember the letter for it) but that covers the ones we're likely to worry about.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Been trawling the charts, websites etc !!!! In between stripping a brake caliper or two on a bike.......Good job I am not working !!!!

Its very much a no,no for W rated tyres in anything other than " summer " tyres.....

I have found a reasonably priced Dunlop called the Sport Maxx RT...... Anyone used these?    Y rated.

Other than that I am down to Goodyear Efficient grip Performance version or Dunlop Blu Response both of which have better ratings , same decibels, 68 each against 67 for the Sport Maxx.

I have used both Efficient grip and Blu response on other cars and they perform well.

Should say I am restricting the searches to 68/67 decibels noise limit, Bridgestone, Maxxis etc all 70db plus.. but also an A or B wet weather grip, not that bothered on the fuel rating as we have discussed before, minimal difference between A and F anyway.

Summer tyres again...arrgggh...

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I cannot ever see myself ever using pure summer tyres again- we have had almost 2 weeks in 2019 when it didn't rain at some point of the day  in Manchester.....  In fact I left my Alpins on my Merc until the end of April before switching back to the Primacy Pilots.  Same with the Coupe - my winter Nokians until end of April, then the Michelins...  Of course both cars were swapped back to their winter tyres in early November.....

Noise for me is not a problem - rain noise, spray, wipers and heater blower drown out trye noise....

• Like 2

• Moderators

That's where I was headed when I started looking for tyres, all season or winter tyres.  The sticking point was the speed rating not the decibels as such.

The Michelin Pilot Alpin would be ideal but they don't do 16 inch versions...... And no W rated anyway....if most winter / all season tyres don't do a rating of W then surely just about everyone could get pulled by insurance if in an accident ?? 

If that is the case then there must be a get out to use V rated which gives me more scope.

• Like 1

• Founding Member
20 hours ago, PTR200S said:

I have found a reasonably priced Dunlop called the Sport Maxx RT...... Anyone used these?    Y rated

I changed my tyres to Dunlop 225/45R17 91Y SP Sport Maxx RT and had covered 22k miles on them. The reduction in noise was pretty amazing and very noticeable.  I replaced them last Jan via National Tyres (Best price I found) with the mark 2 models and they are as good the mark 1’s and have better rim protection.

I also took out their Lifetime Tyre Guarantee for 2 of the tyres. I’ve recently gone through some “fantastic” London craters and noticed a bulge on the front offside tyre. I called National Tyres and my new replacement tyre under the Guarantee scheme will be fitted this Saturday. Worth the £7.50 for each tyre. 

Dunlop : 225/45 Y 17 : Sport Maxx RT2 P (Rim Protector fitment)

part code

2254517DU2Y
  • Clap Hands 2

• Moderators

Can get these sport maxx fitted for 67 quid a corner.....at least they comply with the Honda requirements, summer tyres again and cost only a couple of quid more than the Blu Response. As I need to drive for my work I don't need the aggro of a non compliance insurance job should the worst happen .

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

Okay - it seems I have V rated Cross Climates on my Honda. Supplied and species by ATS.

Took a stroll around the car park and there's a fair few cars with them on, all V rated, including a BMW that must have had them on when new, it's a 69 plate 330d. So who knows what that means? Also a 500hp AMG Merc C60something that has V rated Vredstein All Season.

I'm happy.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Took a stroll around the car park and there's a fair few cars with them on, all V rated, including a BMW that must have had them on when new, it's a 69 plate 330d. So who knows what that means?

There's a good chance those cars are restricted to 155mph so they could possibly get away with V rated tyres but only on the grounds the restrictor is there and it probably restricts the top end to 149mph after a short burst of 155mph.

Just a guess.

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s
5 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

There's a good chance those cars are restricted to 155mph so they could possibly get away with V rated tyres but only on the grounds the restrictor is there and it probably restricts the top end to 149mph after a short burst of 155mph.

Just a guess.

That's a rather more plausible guess than I came up with 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Still not got the tyres for the Coupe sorted out, just too busy with other stuff.

Have now come down to getting Dunlop Sport Blu Response.......I think !!!!

Can't get Falken locally at good price or correct spec for the type of tyre, Dunlop Sport Maxx rt are currently, locally, 83 quid !!!!! each !

Blu Response come out at 134 quid a pair at National  with Kwik Shit at 169 and Tyres on drive (Halfords they come to you service) at 142 quid.

Blue Response are rated A wet, B fuel and 68 decibels so falls in my criteria but , always a but !!, got to drive 20 miles to get them from National...Tyres on the Drive do exactly that !!  About same cost differential wise but means I can save my time instead....   But more fun to drive !!!!!

Just got to check they have stock now, locally !!!!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, hughezee said:

I think its time for some new boots on the coupe any recomedations on 225 50 R17. 😋

Thanks in adavance👍

Heard some good stuff on the Avon ZV7 tyres so put a couple on the 06 plate Jazz on the front...also a couple on the rear of the 04 plate Jazz.  

They seem OK but it , they, are Jazz !!!!  Swmbo reports feels better and quieter with no spin up on the local roundabout which is notoriously slippy....but of course they are new tyres........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I hear a lot of good reports on Bridgestone Turanzas from the west midlands area Stu - may be worth a look?

Granted they're on RWD cars but a lot of those cars are running more power than they left the factory with so should be a reasonable copmarison.

• Thanks 1

• Founding Member

Bridgestones are always noisy and wear quickly in my view, I've never been a fan of them on My coupe, S2000 or Lexus RX.

I rate Hankooks highly, Ventus Prime on the S2000 gave an excellent ride, good grip and a lot less noise than the Bridgestone Potenzas it came fitted with as OEM tyres.

Cross Climates have been good on every car I have fitted them to, Avon ZV7s on the RX300 wore quickly but then the Lexus is a big old lump in comparison to a Coupe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

The Avon ZV 7 on the 04 plate Jazz that went on in 2019/20 have gone off..worn on the inner edge and cracked along the sidewalls inner and outer.   They have done around 20k miles in around three, three and half, years. We are talking about 85bhp here so not working that hard compared with a Coupe. 

The 06 plate got them in 2022....cracked around the sidewalls too but not worn out yet !!

This follows hughezee experience on the Coupe ....never buying those again !!

• Like 1