Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Tyres do you have on your car "LIKE OR NOT"

Cryistic

• Site Subscriber’s
9 hours ago, welland99 said:

Nor me.  Better the devil you know!

I've been daft and kept vehicles when I really should have got rid but generally, it works out for the best.

The V6 so far is proving great. I've been lucky to find this group and particularly Stuart - when you've an older car that's pretty rare, finding a Stu is like panning for gold and finding a King's crown. No tugging and yanking at panels to find where the fixings are, he just knows and everything seems so smoothly done. It's great to watch and the car sure appreciates it.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

I've been daft and kept vehicles when I really should have got rid

I think we've all done that! Also got rid of a few i should have kept but couldn't find a certain part then 3 weeks after getting rid, found a scrapyard with loads of the right bits in, some brand new bits still with the sticjers on! :o

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• Founding Member
On 12/17/2018 at 4:41 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

I've always found that term confusing. Does it mean summer tyres with winter capability or winter tyres with summer capability? Or a totally different tyre that's a better compromise for all seasons than either of the first two options?

Are they just a figment of the marketing mans imagination, dreamed up to sell mroe tyres?

They are a compromise of course, not quite as much sillica in the compound as summer tyres, less rubber than winters, with the tread pattern a compromise between the two, less big tread blocks than a summer, less snipes than a winter.

Less rubber means that they are not as good a really low temps as Fully fledged winters, not really an issue in most of the UK.

I've had the Bridgestones on the coupe and they didn't struggle in any conditions if I'm honest and wore well, we now have Michelin Cross climates on the Volvo and they have been excellent as well but as yet untested in snow. 

Lexus RX is running Avon ZX7s at the moment, not all weather but very good in the wet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

Okay - so I fitted the Cross Climates on the front and do far they've been way better than I expected.

They make a weird noise cutting through deep puddles but have less of a pull on steering wheel. I like the weird noise 😀

Dry performance is fine, not super but I've yet to lose grip unless I wanted too. Wet grip is super, on damp A roads there is no floating around even above 70mph, they really do feel quite secure.

Currently working on a farm/building site and the car is gripping fine in all the boggy mud. Not managed to get stuck once yet, so the M&S rating works well unexpectedly - the blocks are fairly close. 

Snow reviews will have to wait.

Also, way quieter than the Barums that were on before.

* I have Excelon cheapies on the back, both fairly new. Noisier and rather more inclined to let go but that lets you push hard without fear of understeer taking iver. The back drifts nicely at the limit.

Recommended.

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I had Barums on a car once, used to think i'd gone deaf when i got out of the car! :o

Pardon?, Speak up young man !

Lovely tyres, not, ! Never got on with mine either, very boomy at speed...

• Like 2

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Okay - so I fitted the Cross Climates on the front and do far they've been way better than I expected.

They make a weird noise cutting through deep puddles but have less of a pull on steering wheel. I like the weird noise 😀

Dry performance is fine, not super but I've yet to lose grip unless I wanted too. Wet grip is super, on damp A roads there is no floating around even above 70mph, they really do feel quite secure.

What are the ratings for wet weather on these tyres ? Going to need two for the Coupe for winter.

WIERD noise !! Like a supercharger weird or like you have just run over    "somebody weird." ...!!!!!!

• Confused 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Lovely tyres, not, ! Never got on with mine either, very boomy at speed...

They made my 1.3 Marina sound like a Series Land-Rover!

I remember drifting it through an S-bend at 80mph while chatting to my mate on the CB - on a dry road! :blink:

• Haha 1

• Site Subscriber’s
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

What are the ratings for wet weather on these tyres ? Going to need two for the Coupe for winter.

WIERD noise !! Like a supercharger weird or like you have just run over    "somebody weird." ...!!!!!!

I can't remember, B I think but the reviews are often misleading - there's a CrossClimate +XL tyre for SUVs and that's not so good in the wet, especially on the braking front.

It's like a hissy, yeah maybe a supercharger, noisy. Really noticeable but now I know they cut through puddles well, quite a happy sound.

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s
55 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

They made my 1.3 Marina sound like a Series Land-Rover!

I remember drifting it through an S-bend at 80mph while chatting to my mate on the CB - on a dry road! :blink:

The noise might not be better but the grip certainly is these days. They were on the car when I got it, 4 x newish, and they've been okay. Good enough for the standard suspension if you're a bit of a steady Eddie. I'm not tho. Lasted I guess 20k...

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Put things in perspective, the Marina wasn't the best handling beast in the world! Was fun though, even with only a 1275cc lump dragging the thing along! :lol:

We had an 1825 ital estate in orange - it was a bit flash after a cream marina 😂

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Just ordered the Rainsport 3 for the xk8 and tyreleader were good at 113 quid  for 255/40/19 with free delivery...usually retail about 150 upwards for this size. 

Even mytyres couldn't get down to that price, however, Camskill tyres managed 104 plus 4 quid for 24 hour delivery..not a great saving but enough for a couple of gallons in the tank !!

16 " tyres, for standard Coupe wheels are at 47 quid at tyreleader and 49 quid at Camskill !!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
22 hours ago, st123 said:

Good tyre but did not last long on the FR-V I only had 6k on the front out of them

Thats not good 😭 

The TVR boys rate them but that is on 1000kg cars , I have bought the xl version , for heavier cars , to put on the XK8 ....sounds like its going to need them !!!!

new-rainsport.jpg

Wonder how they fared on the Coupe ? 

📣 Cryistic ?? !!!

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I didn't have them Fitted to my coupe, I had Bridgestone A001 All seasons.

I tend to think that A Rain performance tires must always be soft as they need the soft compound to give the grip on a colder road surface, Kinda like a half way house between a summer and an All season tire. 

They are pretty well known for not lasting much more than 10000 miles.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Well the Rainsport have been on a few weeks...not much mileage done , maybe 100 or so.....and the nearside rear is down to 20 pounds.

Investigation showed it to have a fekin screw in it !!!

This is the second puncture this year and the third for family.

Two of the punctures are in " new" tyres.....  Is the new rubber now so soft initially that it is prone to picking up debris??? 

• The title was changed to What Tyres do you have on your car "LIKE OR NOT"
  • Moderators
10 hours ago, st123 said:

i would not buy these tyres again i had an inner side wall blow out on one, the tyre fitter said he had never seen this before on a good tyre

On a Rainsport ?

Were they standard or heavy duty versions ,,,,,, allegedly HD !!! 

• Like 2