Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Tyres do you have on your car "LIKE OR NOT"

Cryistic

• Moderators

A couple of months back i saw a nasty hole in the sidewall of a 2 month old Bridgestone Turanza - caused by the owner bumping over kerbs on a regular basis.

Potholes can also do it with just one impact.

Doesn't make a lot of difference if the tyres are cheap or expensive, abusing them by driving over kerbs will damage them as will accidental pothole damage and both will cause holes in the sidewalls. :(

Hi guys

Which of these tyres do you think it suits better for my Elysion? 

Continental AllSeasonContact 215/65 R16 102 V XL

Read more: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/continental-allseasoncontact-215-65-r16-102-v-xl#263749175

Or 

Michelin CrossClimate+ 215/65 R16 102 V XL

Read more: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/michelin-crossclimate--215-65-r16-102-v-xl#263804497

Thanks

Car came with Bridgestone Evo 001 I think and by the time I'll come back from holiday they will be useless by the looks of it after 5000km. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's all down to personal preference and the roads in your area will alter how good each tyre is in your eyes.

However, i've had many bad experiences with both Michelin and Continental so wouldn't have either - maybe consider Falken, Vredestein or similar?

• Like 1

• Founding Member
On 8/10/2019 at 5:21 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Depends what you're comparing them to Ritchie, also any old tyre won't perform as well as a new one, even a Chinese DitchFingder will outperform an old premium tyre if it's new.

Well the car is 2 years old and the tyres are only 10 months old, so based on the performance through the winter and the past summer I'd say they are quiet, with good road holding that doesn't change throughout the changes in weather, not really sure what else I can say about them.

IMO they are thoroughly capable tyres, I've always found Bridgestones noisy when they start to wear.

• Site Subscriber’s
On 8/10/2019 at 4:53 PM, Cryistic said:

We have had Crossclimates on our Volvo S90 for the last year with no issues at all, if anything they seem to stop some of the wheelspin you get if trying to get out of a junction.

I fitted Cross Climates on my V6 earlier this year and I have to say, they've performed much better than expected on summer roads. I've been hacking around the Alps, braking hard downhill and they've not let go once. I'm staggered at the braking grip for an all season tyre.

I can't say anything about winter grip but they're fine with mud, I go off-road or really that should be "I go off metalled roads" and I'm getting everywhere I want. Tyre wear so far is minimal for 6 months use.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Finally got around to getting the new Rainsport tyre off the XK8 repaired.... yet another screw, 40mm this time, driven in through the tread at right angles.... at 15 quid a throw this is adding up !!😥

Now I understand why I have had so many punctures this year, some to$$*r is chucking boxes of screws out the vehicle windows ! 🤬

• grrrr 2

• Moderators

I changed a coupl of tyres & tubes today, only little ones, 3.00-4 and after discovering the wheel wouldn't come off the stub axles, i further discovered they were split rim alloys! :o

That made life easier, four M8 Nylocs on the inside of the wheel/hub (yes it was a combined inner wheel and hub, hence why it wouldn't come off!) the outside of the wheel slid off easily, leaving the tyre and tube in place as i'd left the tube with a tiny bit of air in it to hold the shape. All good so far and i'd done the same with the other wheel, let most of the air out.

Got the other one out and suddenly it starts swelling like someone has pulled the ripcord on a self inflating RIB. By now it was gripping the hub so i was kind of stuck! :o

A minute or so later, it pushed itself off though so i recovered the outer half of the wheel and fitted the new tyre & tube to it and was doing the M8s up when i glanced at the old tyre and tube, slowly inflating itself still.

BANG!!!!!! :o

Suddenly it blew showering me with purple goo! :o

• Sad 2

• Moderators

I guess so Paul, there were some purple bubbles when i let the air out but my "full guess" is not only was it puncture repair goo but the gas used as a propellant/inflation medium was something that would expand rapidly in sunlight.

The other one didn't do that thankfully!

Certainly the first time i've ever known it happen! :o

• Like 2

• Moderators

DOn't know Pete, the tube was all contorted as if it had been used while it was flat and then the goo squirted in and used while it was still wrapped round itself.

Perhaps the freedom to move allowed the gas to expand enough so that when it was heated by the sun this afternoon, it grew in volume.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Whilst trying to decide on tyres to replace the Davanti, on another thread, I am having difficulty with the speed rating versus noise decibel rating.

Most sites are telling me I need W rated tyres  ( 168mph ! Say what ! ) but are usually 70 decibels / more expensive than a V rated tyre (149mph) which come up on other sites.

I was just going to go V rated and 68 decibels or less which automatically reduces availability of tyres but now getting conflicting information.

As far as I was concerned V rated was acceptable but on checking the owners manual (!!!) I see W rated is what should be used....

Anyone else on standard alloys?

What rating do you use?

Is , or could it be, an insurance issue on V rated instead of W ?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Is , or could it be, an insurance issue on V rated instead of W ?

Depends on your insurance company Pete. Many will refuse cover if it's found you've skimped on tyres br dropping to V rated from Z, if you can find a listing in your handbook for V rated tyres, you're home and dry. If they all say W rated, either phone your insurance and ask them the position on fitting V rated tyres (you're not going to legally hit 149mph) and if they see any problms or just fit W rated and have done.

On my Rover, both V and W rated tyres are listed as compatible with mine so i have 205/55 VR 16 on mine. The Volvo only needs H rated tyres (but has V on it), apparently it's ok to go up on speed rating but not down for insurance companies.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

On my Rover, both V and W rated tyres are listed as compatible with mine so i have 205/55 VR 16 on mine.

Yep, handbook shows W rated for 205/55 but can fit 65 series tyres that are V rated.

Didn't even think about it when I replaced the front ones last time, Davanti, but they are V rated too, matched to the removed tyres.

Checking the rear tyres, Michelin Energy, that came with the car 3 years ago......also V rated.... and cracked !!

Could the Coupe even manage 149mph !!!.....would I want to go that fast even if it could on these potholed roads that are ridden with Big Brother cameras anyway?

Wonder if the W rated are higher loading for the weight of the V6 coupe???

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hmmm, bit of a grey area for you then! Check the date on those Michelin Enegy tyres, they might be much older than 3 years old! Shouldn't crack anyway and if memory serves, should have a 5 year warranty as well.

Not sure if the Coupe could hit 150mph, i know the 827 can (or at least should be able to) as Tony Pond did it in 1990 so by extension, so can the Legend 2.7.

As for whether you'd want to go that fast with BB watching you and the occasional outbreak of road on the potholes, good question!

I think the V rated tyres are generally the same or at least similar weight/load rating to the W tyres, worth double checking though.

• Like 1

• Site Subscriber’s

I have W rating on the cross climates on mine - I mentioned the V rating as an option and the man  in the shop said "downhill, wind being you..." and I assumed the answer was that the speed rating is in line with the maximum possible speed.

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Couple of things now popped out of the woodwork.... Most cross climate / all season tyres are only rated to a V rating.

Kelvin, can't find a W rating on your Michelin Cross climate tyres even on Michelins own site ? 

I presume that the tyre actually has the W rating on it...are they heavy duty, high load versions?

Not sure I want to ask the insurance companies !! they only want to shaft you somewhere along the line...

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
15 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Couple of things now popped out of the woodwork.... Most cross climate / all season tyres are only rated to a V rating.

Kelvin, can't find a W rating on your Michelin Cross climate tyres even on Michelins own site ? 

I presume that the tyre actually has the W rating on it...are they heavy duty, high load versions?

Not sure I want to ask the insurance companies !! they only want to shaft you somewhere along the line...

I'll check this morning - it may be, thinking about, that the conversation was about the previous set of tyres. That's probably possible because I remember chatting to the guy in Scott's Tyres and I bought the CCs from ATS.

*If a V rated tyre was supplied by a garage, I'd not be worried about the insurers, as long as I'd kept my gob shut. They'd be the ones saying they're fit for purpose.

• Like 1