Subscriptions & Donations ×

Preventative Rust Proofing & Treatments & Remedy’s Accord Coupe

hughezee

• 11 months later...
  • Administrators

Not long till the bumper goes back on, just waiting on some new indicator bulbs as they are a fiddle to fit with the splash guard normally in the way...

IMG_20170705_104040[1].jpg

FYI the Volkswagen box is not a plug for the brand, it was just to catch the drips, subliminal message pretty obvious there. :lol::P 

• Like 2

• Founding Member
14 hours ago, hughezee said:

Not long till the bumper goes back on, just waiting on some new indicator bulbs as they are a fiddle to fit with the splash guard normally in the way...

IMG_20170705_104040[1].jpg

FYI the Volkswagen box is not a plug for the brand, it was just to catch the drips, subliminal message pretty obvious there. :lol::P 

So clean behind that bumper of yours.....looks kinda new! 

I wish I could just leave my car with you for a few weeks to get a long list of jobs done.....there's no harm in dreaming;)

• Like 3

• Administrators
15 hours ago, AhsyV6 said:

So clean behind that bumper of yours.....looks kinda new! 

I wish I could just leave my car with you for a few weeks to get a long list of jobs done.....there's no harm in dreaming;)

Thanks buddy they are well worth a little preservation :D it's not like we could replace them easily if at all in a few years, I wouldn't be surprised if yours is just as good with all those cleaning products seeping behind the scenes :lol: least we aren't polishing turds like the majority of people :) 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators

Well after a brief inspection on the coupe before the MOT I spotted some rust on the coupe, only surface rust but the older underseal I used probably didn't help matters with it cracking and trapping moisture, so after losing some sleep over this as rust never sleeps ?? I decided to tackle it sooner rather later...

20181021-153944.jpg20181021-155507.jpg

Still, a couple of minor spots to tackle but will do those when the subframe comes off soon and it will make the job easier overall and get into the hard to reach spots,,,

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

Arggh, I know the feeling, been there with other cars, the sick feeling in the stomach as the hole yawns even wider when provoked. 

The good news is that it is fixable, hopefully you have got to it in time.

The best thing you can do is cut out the rot with a thin disk cutter, treat everything you can get to behind the hole and weld new metal in.

Do you know if it has gone through the inner skin?....is it just at the bottom of the arch behind the sill or further up the arch curve?

You say inner arch, do you just mean the lip, the return fold into the arch? If so much easier fix .😀 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Arggh, I know the feeling, been there with other cars, the sick feeling in the stomach as the hole yawns even wider when provoked. 

The good news is that it is fixable, hopefully you have got to it in time.

The best thing you can do is cut out the rot with a thin disk cutter, treat everything you can get to behind the hole and weld new metal in.

Do you know if it has gone through the inner skin?....is it just at the bottom of the arch behind the sill or further up the arch curve?

You say inner arch, do you just mean the lip, the return fold into the arch? If so much easier fix .😀 

Its fixable! Plus im in the trade so il get discount, but not the point... I will take some pictures tomorrow! It just seem like the car is conspiring against me at the moment as there are other things that need doing 🙄

• Confused 2

• Moderators

Oh good! Fixable , excellent !

I obviously missed the point then in your first post 😣 sorry, I presume then it was the annoyance of it actually having the gall to rot !!!! not the actual problem.!!!

I'll just get back in me box 😬 

Ps, don't forget the pics !!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Oh good! Fixable , excellent !

I obviously missed the point then in your first post 😣 sorry, I presume then it was the annoyance of it actually having the gall to rot !!!! not the actual problem.!!!

I'll just get back in me box 😬 

Ps, don't forget the pics !!

Yeah sorry I was purely being a drama queen as the rest of the paintwork is in great condition.. It's the inner part of the lip, so where sill ends and curve starts ..

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 2/3/2019 at 3:09 PM, DeanoCoupe said:

It just seem like the car is conspiring against me at the moment as there are other things that need doing 🙄

We've all been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Hope it gives you a chance to catch up so you can get on to preventive maintenance rather than "fire-fighting" things that happen to be wearing out because of age/mileage etc. ;):D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • The topic was unpinned
  • This topic was pinned and pinned
  • 1 month later...

On the subject of rust treatments, I noticed last week that Wilko is selling jenolite rust remover and rust converter for £10 for 500g.  This looks like a good price.  I've never used rust remover, but have been thinking of getting some for a while.  Does anybody have an opinion about jenolite?  

• Like 2

• Moderators

Jenolite used to be extremely good, it's been around for a very long time to my knowledge (well over 50 years) and was at one time referred to as "Naval Jelly" because it was supplied to the Navy to keep rust at bay on the fleet.

I remember as a kid (early teens) finding a tube of it in the shed, a tube my dad had "retained" from his life in the Navy. Bear in mind he was demobbed when i was still on soft foods the product wasn't new but it still worked exactly as it said on the tin - errrr, tube even!

That said, i wonder if it's gone the way of many products these days and been weakened by the "eco loons" insisting that certain compounds aren't present in it rendering it borderline useless. Things like Creosote for example.

If it's still as good as it used to be, 500g for a tenner is good value. If not it's an expensive waste. Would be interested to know what it's like either way!

• Like 2