Subscriptions & Donations ×

Preventative Rust Proofing & Treatments & Remedy’s Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Administrators
The USDM Motors certainly seem more resilient against tin worm than our Swindon built efforts :wacko:  nevertheless my accord is getting on a bit now :huh: but if I spy any rust I will pounce on it   :lol:

DSC02762.jpg
DSC02763.jpgDSC02764.jpg

Little preventive rust treatment :D and flushed out the inner an outer sill with evaporating solvents and then filled with wax seal until it was oozing out of every orifice :lol:

DSC02760.jpgDSC02765.jpgDSC02770.jpg

Leaking out of seam holes I didn't even know where there, still its all good   :)
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Going to rust proof my coupe within the next few weeks with Dinitrol products and going to post up some pics as I do it.

Does anyone have any tips, I was thinking, plastic sheeting on the garage floor, start on the underneath followed by striping out some of the interior for those hard to reach places and then removing rear bumper to access other hard to reach places.

I have done a quick check on water drainage points already and they are clear at bottom of the windscreen, sunroof areas and bottom of both doors. The car has no rust anywhere and that's great for a 17-year-old car. :D:D:D:D:D

• Like 1

• Founding Member
On 07/05/2015 at 9:51 PM, V6vtec said:

Going to rust proof my coupe within the next few weeks with Dinitrol products and going to post up some pics as I do it.

Does anyone have any tips, I was thinking, plastic sheeting on the garage floor, start on the underneath followed by striping out some of the interior for those hard to reach places and then removing rear bumper to access other hard to reach places.

I have done a quick check on water drainage points already and they are clear at bottom of the windscreen, sunroof areas and bottom of both doors. The car has no rust anywhere and that's great for a 17-year-old car. :D:D:D:D:D

Pay someone else to do it and go to the pub while it's being done?

Looking forward to the pics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Founding Member

So how does this rust-proofing malarkey work then?  Say with a door, you remove the door card etc then spray a solvent in to wash away any particles, then you spray 'wax oil', which presumably forms a barrier so that any water can't start the rust process?  Does it effectively rust-proof the car then?

I could be wrong and perhaps Stu or Dave might point me in the right direction.

To me rustproofing extends the life of the car against corrosion and you may have to re rustproof your car in five or ten years later. Without being too technical and being limited knowledge on chemicals and natural reactions, but water, air and any kind of metal will always have a reaction converting everything it can back to iron ore.

Unless you put the car in a museum or a place without any humidity the car will always be prone to kind of rust.

On the plus side I always annually check for rust or anything that could start a reaction to cause rust, will always be a battle lol but on a good thing. :D 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Well not sure about re-applying as I had a 30 year old civic in once and that was rust proofed in a wax, basically the same formula of comma's wax seal it just seals the areas from moisture and air,  the car was pretty much rust free apart from exterior seam on the inner wheel arches even then you couldn't see it. I've seen more rust on a five year old car put that way ;)

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Interesting...I suppose due to our UK climate anything and everything we can do to protect the life of our coupes has to be worth doing.  If we were living in California or Texas then rust wouldn't be an issue, then again, we would have other problems to look out for I suppose with the extreme heat on the dashboard, paintwork, interior etc?  <_<

• Like 1

• Founding Member

It has less to do with climate and more to do with the large amounts of salt dumped on the roads every winter, salt really is the killer for steel.

Unless it's a late 90s merc as they seemed to use paint that was 90% sodium chloride.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

If we were living in California or Texas then rust wouldn't be an issue, then again, we would have other problems to look out for I suppose with the extreme heat on the dashboard, paintwork, interior etc?  <_<

The highest fatality rate for the coupe gearbox :(

• 2 weeks later...

the condition of the body is one of the things which really impressed me on my £500 coupe not a spot of rust any where and with 160k on the clock but also there is no dirt built up anywhere so it must have been regularly hosed off. I dont think its had any additional rust proofing so keeping it clean is the key. However rust proofing is never the less a good idea as long as the wax doesnt shrink or crack and let in moisture (which is then trapped in and can be worse than a clean non waxed car in some cases had this problem with a bm 635 someone had applied a type of waxy underseal which had trapped moisture in which rotted away the sills to floor and the car was only 10 years old at the time), thats why in most cases once you do the underside etc which is exposed to the elements you really need to clean it up and reapply every 3 or 4 years at the latest and every 2 in a damp climate.  :)

• Like 1

• Administrators

I've always been impressed with the USDM (USA) build quality over UKDM or JDM built models and from what your describing is like Wax Oil which is something I rarely if ever use these days for that reason, the product I used is Wax Seal which was designed for internal cavity's really, based on my research and seeing 20-30 year old cars are rust free using this same product formula when new or from a few years old I was convinced.

So I'm working the same way these cars where done on my Coupe, basically inside-out ;)

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

Today was so nice and more importantly dry  :rolleyes: I finally cleaned an sealed up my brake & fuel lines. although moisture in the brake fluid is the real killer rotting them inside out, so my regular brake fluid changes should keep it under control for a few more years ;)

100-2633.jpg100-2632.jpg

Large piece of card catching the drips :lol:

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators

Well the preservation continues, jet washed my rear arches 10 times in all, forgot to take the before shots even now I've only managed one measly pic today ^_^ I'm surprised I didn't flake under the car to be honest as I'm still not well :rolleyes: Anyway hoping Retro Rich can fill the gaps as he tackled his at the same time ;) So two cans of brake cleaner and a can of wax seal plus a can of under-body rubber seal...

IMG_20160620_192111[1].jpg

Before you ask, I did remove some parts and mask off some parts and covered the brakes, removed the filler neck guard ect ect:huh:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Bumper off and I bet you can smell the metal paint & wax seal :lol: might just fit my parking sensors as well ;)

IMG_20160707_155630[1].jpg

For all those with any doubts about wax seal :huh: not to be confused with the old skool wax oil, I treated all around my boot seal over a year ago maybe more and there where tiny spots of rust under the seal which is to expected for the age of the car :rolleyes: Well upon removing part of the seal I was greeted with no rust what so ever just tiny black spots. so guess the rust has been killed :D

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Funny you say that. I used to have a lovely Nighthawk black 6th SE Executive and we stayed at the Copthorne in Birmingham on my wedding night. There I was merrily reversing then...crunch. I reversed into a metal bollard that was literally 2 feet high.  I got out to inspect the inevitable damage and my poor bumper had a perfect V shape. I was not happy as I loved that car. :o

• Like 1