Subscriptions & Donations ×

Stevies V6 making her my own.

SteviesV6

I bring good news regarding the gear change. Finally when warmed up she changes up and down bloody lovely 😁 cold is still a bit wierd from 2nd to 3rd but aside from that I'm well happy and that's after just 1 change and pulling the back up fuse.

Who would like to guess what I found and what happened when I came to service the front brakes.? 

• Founding Member
28 minutes ago, SteviesV6 said:

Who would like to guess what I found and what happened when I came to service the front brakes.? 

Caliper slider stuck?  Pins rotted? Bit of pad missing?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Not far wrong mate, slider pins and virtually no grease on them and the bit that was on there was wrong so I cleaned out the holes best I could and stuck some red rubber grease in the holes so that was them sorted both sides. 

Came to take out the passenger side pads not too bad cleaned up the edges of the pads and the retaining clips greased up the ends and popped them back in. Then got to the drivers side 😠 the pads were completely stuck in the carrier, it looked like the bottom of the pads had rusted, both were an absolute biatch to get out but after some whacks and levering which I kkow isn't good for the pads I got them out and had to clean off what seemed like alot of rust on the bottom they now go in and out alot more freely.

It would explain the slight wobble when braking but both sliders on both sides were not greased properly. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, PaulS said:

I think you are dead right !!

Standard Honda problem usually encountered when car first acquired  !! 

I usually grind the pad ears off a bit to make sure they fit freely I the holders, even the slightest resistance is a recipe for a return problem...

• Moderators
6 hours ago, SteviesV6 said:

Not far wrong mate, slider pins and virtually no grease on them and the bit that was on there was wrong so I cleaned out the holes best I could and stuck some red rubber grease in the holes so that was them sorted both sides. 

Came to take out the passenger side pads not too bad cleaned up the edges of the pads and the retaining clips greased up the ends and popped them back in. Then got to the drivers side 😠 the pads were completely stuck in the carrier, it looked like the bottom of the pads had rusted, both were an absolute biatch to get out but after some whacks and levering which I kkow isn't good for the pads I got them out and had to clean off what seemed like alot of rust on the bottom they now go in and out alot more freely.

It would explain the slight wobble when braking but both sliders on both sides were not greased properly. 

Good news then, just a lack of maintenance then I would guess?...I take it the pads were still tightly bonded to the backing?

Yep they were pretty stuck in there. I'm going to have to order new pads and discs and hope the caliper is ok. 

I'm not sure if anyone has done this very small write up but I tightened up the handbrake lever today via the access panel in the centre console. 

IMG-20220416-092553.jpgIMG-20220416-092526.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, gear change is now awesome when warmed up, kick down is dependent on how hard you press the pedal but is smooth, I've got a knocking from the right upper suspension U-shaped mount and just my luck found it on ecp with discount code for £7 so left it a few days went back and it had gone up to £35 😭 so I figured the other may go and bought that while still discounted at £6.50.

Next she needs new pads so I may aswel go good ones, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Hope you're all well 😊

• Like 2

• Administrators

Great to hear you are enjoying the motor...👍

11 hours ago, SteviesV6 said:

Next she needs new pads so I may aswel go good ones, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Hope you're all well 😊

I guess if you don't know what discs you have on the car, you are very likely going to mismatch whatever you fit,  I have BREMBO P 28 026 on my coupe. 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hughezee said:

Great to hear you are enjoying the motor...👍

I guess if you don't know what discs you have on the car, you are very likely going to mismatch whatever you fit,  I have BREMBO P 28 026 on my coupe. 👍

Bloody love her mate and yep that's true I've found them thru your part number thing so shall get some ordered. 

I did manage to get the front drivers side upper suspension arm off ebay with pics and all the correct numbers for only £20 new and picked up the passenger side for £6.30 at ecp again has all the right numbers on. 

• Like 1

Hey people I'm after a bit of advice and help. I've found a drivers side front upper suspension arm the u shaped piece, I found one for £35 and one for £20 both new, the £35 one is for my car a mk6 but the cheaper one says it's for a mk7 but some numbers match up and it looks identical. I'll post links so if you could please help me out. 

The cheaper one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174204199470?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wJiZ5q5jTRy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=r0G0NpuqSum&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And the other one 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234456581598?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=yi1ojZncSxy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=r0G0NpuqSum&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SteviesV6 said:

Hey people I'm after a bit of advice and help. I've found a drivers side front upper suspension arm the u shaped piece, I found one for £35 and one for £20 both new, the £35 one is for my car a mk6 but the cheaper one says it's for a mk7 but some numbers match up and it looks identical. I'll post links so if you could please help me out. 

The cheaper one

The Mk6 and Mk7 all too frequently get confused 🤔as some parts will interchange but mostly the info is just incorrect, the cheaper one appears to have different mounting bushes? Also, the ball joint is tapered differently on the Mk7 as some members have found and in some cases, it won't fit the coupes knuckle correctly.👉

Personally, I would buy the Blue Print one ADH28650 or the Febi 42170 plus they will last longer than 12 months. 👍

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hughezee said:

The Mk6 and Mk7 all too frequently get confused 🤔as some parts will interchange but mostly the info is just incorrect, the cheaper one appears to have different mounting bushes? Also, the ball joint is tapered differently on the Mk7 as some members have found and in some cases, it won't fit the coupes knuckle correctly.👉

Personally, I would buy the Blue Print one ADH28650 or the Febi 42170 plus they will last longer than 12 months. 👍

Mate as per you have stepped into the breach. I'll get those part numbers and find the one I need cheers pal. I got so confused earlier trying to find which would fit and which from which model 😆

• Like 2

Hi

The ball joints are available separately for these and easy to fit . Just knock the old one out ( don't spare it , its shot anyway) and knock the replacement in with a copper mallet etc . I think I used a Blueprint part . Comes with a circlip to fit but takes a decent set of circlip pliers to get it over the boot . Any thing with circlips I use stainless locking wire through the circlip eyes to ensure they stay put .

• Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 1:00 AM, Logohotrod said:

Hi

The ball joints are available separately for these and easy to fit . Just knock the old one out ( don't spare it , its shot anyway) and knock the replacement in with a copper mallet etc . I think I used a Blueprint part . Comes with a circlip to fit but takes a decent set of circlip pliers to get it over the boot . Any thing with circlips I use stainless locking wire through the circlip eyes to ensure they stay put .

Hey pal, I did look at them and thought hang on they look like they fit, the second hand arm that I purchased the ball joint thread part was bent where I think the seller hit it to remove but within 5 mins of messaging them he'd apologised and refunded so I've got an arm there, I've whacked out the old ball joint as you said so just need a replacement, just unsure of which one to get and which orientation to put it in altho I did buy the passenger side so could use that for fitting reference. 

On 5/20/2022 at 1:29 PM, hughezee said:

Cheers Hugh I ordered the borg and beck one which arrived and seems to fit I'm just guna figure out whether I can get the old one out without taking the arm off or just press the new one into the ebay arm with the knackered ball joint that I bought. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update.... Got the replacement 2nd hand arm fitted that arrived of eBay with a knackered ball joint, great seller refunded the whole thing within 10 mins of me telling him so I ordered the ball joint I bought and all seems well. 

She is now mot'd with no advisories 😊 

I do have a whistling noise through one of the wipers above 40mph, it wasn't there before I fitted the new ones and I've tried tape to stop it to no avail 😆

Hope everyone is well and now I can start getting her how I want her. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
10 hours ago, SteviesV6 said:

Hope everyone is well and now I can start getting her how I want her.

I guess I am not alone in being a bit warm lol but all good cheers and glad to hear of the positive progress & congrats on the MOT pass too. 👍

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 7:18 PM, hughezee said:

I guess I am not alone in being a bit warm lol but all good cheers and glad to hear of the positive progress & congrats on the MOT pass too. 👍

Yep definitely a bit warm 😆 I've tested the aircon and it's holding pressure and hasn't lost any so I'm going to get it regassed either this week or next, I'm on the hunt for a spoiler and a few other bits still but am loving her just a smooth comfy drive, I am going to change the front pads just due to the fact of age as I had to proper crack the pads to get them out when I serviced the sliders and all so was thinking brembo pads or something with more bite.

I have noticed my speedo miles counter the bulb has gone so wanting to replace that, does anyone know what size bubs they are before I pull them out and realise I've not got spares and also is the hazard switch meant to light up and dame goes for the headlight level switch? 

Cheers Hugh, where are you based as it would be great to meet a few members from here and share some knowledge and car chat. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 6/20/2022 at 9:05 AM, SteviesV6 said:

I have noticed my speedo miles counter the bulb has gone so wanting to replace that, does anyone know what size bubs they are before I pull them out and realise I've not got spares

The mileage backlight is a 286 bulb just need to pull the old bulb out of the black holder. : https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/osram-286-bulb-12v-1-2w-single-bulb-481770110

The main cluster illumination uses a standard 501 bulbs in the white holders and whilst the cluster is out I would replace them too? : https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/osram-501-12v-5w-capless-bulb-clear-single-bulb-481770130

Also worth checking this post below it has been discussed or just order them?

the hazard switch meant to light up

Yes, it should do, again worth checking the post linked above. 👍

the headlight level switch?

No it doesen't light up...

Cheers Hugh, where are you based as it would be great to meet a few members from here and share some knowledge and car chat. 

You are more than welcome to join us at this years meet in Burton Upon Trent...👍

FYI it's Stuart, not Hugh... 😉

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 10:16 PM, hughezee said:

The mileage backlight is a 286 bulb just need to pull the old bulb out of the black holder. : https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/osram-286-bulb-12v-1-2w-single-bulb-481770110

The main cluster illumination uses a standard 501 bulbs in the white holders and whilst the cluster is out I would replace them too? : https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/osram-501-12v-5w-capless-bulb-clear-single-bulb-481770130

Also worth checking this post below it has been discussed or just order them?

Yes, it should do, again worth checking the post linked above. 👍

No it doesen't light up...

You are more than welcome to join us at this years meet in Burton Upon Trent...👍

FYI it's Stuart, not Hugh... 😉

Awesome stuff cheers again Stu 😁

I've changed all the big ones we'll 3 of them that do the rev counter and speedo and it wasn't too bad getting the speedo out altho I didn't snap one of the clips at the bottom of the trim piece, I need 2 more new 501 bulbs for the fuel and temp gauge but may just go for led to freshen it up a bit... 

I also should have a spare bulb in my box to replace the hazard switch bulb then its stereo replacing. 

I found a thread on here about single din stereo fitment and even after a read I come with a few questions, first is that mine is the honda cassette player but the face of it comes off and I can see what I thought were slots too put removal keys in but I think I'm wrong. 

Next is the stereo I've got is a Sony but it has no orange illumination wire so I shouldn't have to cut any wires. Does anyone know if the side brackets that I assume are attached to my factory stereo will fit straight onto the new one? 

Thanks in advance people. 

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all happy Sunday. 

It seems the ball joint I had fitted is knocking either that or something else on the drivers side which is a pain as it's only been on a month or so 😐 

I've not yet got the hazard switch bulb and the stereo is not yet fitted even tho I bought 2. 

I'm working 7 days a week so getting jobs done is tricky, the exhaust has a blow just where the y piece splits of into 2 but aside from that she is lovely. 

Priority at the moment is finally getting the amsoil gearbox oil done then inbetween f I shall swap the stereo and have another read of this orange illumination wire that needs to be cut and taped off am I right? Then brake pads then try and tackle the rust.. 

Hope you're all good 

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Lots of work to do then...  But keep at it, a little at a time, and you will get there.  Rust is the biggest issue that needs to be done in dry weather ideally.  But gearbox and brakes may well have to come first - else the car may not make it to winter....  Stereo and lights can be done over winter if necessary.

At least by working so much, you should be able to afford the bits you need.  Much better than jobs building up and no means to pay for the required repairs or bits....

• Like 3