Subscriptions & Donations ×

Stevies V6 making her my own.

SteviesV6

• Administrators
10 hours ago, SteviesV6 said:

As in don't even use the carlube ATF-U? 

That's entirely up to you 🤔 ATF-U is a good serviceable fluid if it is regularly changed, the V6 transmission has inadequate cooling and this fluid doesn't last long. So if you have any shifting niggles I would be looking to improve things rather than delay it as ATF-U won't improve anything apart from the colour of the fluid.😉

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 12:36 PM, hughezee said:

That's entirely up to you 🤔 ATF-U is a good serviceable fluid if it is regularly changed, the V6 transmission has inadequate cooling and this fluid doesn't last long. So if you have any shifting niggles I would be looking to improve things rather than delay it as ATF-U won't improve anything apart from the colour of the fluid.😉

Sorry mate I did mean to reply to this, ok so we did one 2.4l change 350 miles ago and the fluid is almost clean 🤔

But and there is a but, under what I think to believe is not even half throttle the revs go upto like 4k before they change and 2nd to 3rd it does like a little over rev only about 400rpm but always changes gear. It's almost like when you rev too soon in a manual while changing gear. 

Oh my god yes sorry soo big news, decat is done, the decat pipe from the netherlands very nice piece of kit, good welds and just feels well made, my mate fitted it and tbh you can only hear the difference on 3/4 throttle and she does sound good, when I change the oil Thursday I'll get a pic underneath. 

The engine light did come on when I pulled out of my farm onto the main road but it didn't affect how she runs and once started up later on it went off and my 3 pin to 16pin obd lead arrived and no fault codes found. 

More progress is I've not updated this progress thread much and it relates to rust ☹️ I've had to pull off drivers side brake backing plate and the other side front will have to come off aswel as both are quite rusty, the rear arches are worse than I thought so they are being addressed after the mot is done in June.

There is a blow right on the section of the exhaust where its splits into 2 for each side so that will need sorting but tbh I still love her just the gearbox thing worries me. When I plugged in my foxwell 510 obd2 reader I reset the transmission but it hasn't made any difference so do i need to reset the values? 

Cheers for reading and I hope every one is doing well. I'll get more pics up in the morning. 

• Like 1

And i thought my gearbox sump plug was pretty gunked up, you win on that count.

I believe my gearbox sounds similar to yours as you've described. It's basically the Achilles heal of these cars if not fully looked after and since we haven't owned them from early on there's not a lot we can do. 

Mine though has improved gradually and depending how i drive it the gear changes aren't noticeable. But other times theres the over revving and jolts esp when cold. Which is forgiving with age. 

Persevere with the changes and as Stu has mentioned throughout this forum to us all it's generally after the 3rd change you get more of a feel for the difference. Basically down to the volume of oil changed. Not recommended on here when asked i dropped some lucas anti slip/leak into mine, i figured i had nothing to lose since it was doing my head in and i think this has also helped. I'm on the carlube u also. So interested in how the better stuff makes a change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy Mc said:

It's basically the Achilles heal of these cars if not fully looked after and since we haven't owned them from early on there's not a lot we can do. 

I've seen lots of reports of gearbox failures and being critisized. But like you pointed out i think it has more to do with not regular mainteance from the beginning rather than a design or quality issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy Mc said:

And i thought my gearbox sump plug was pretty gunked up, you win on that count.

I believe my gearbox sounds similar to yours as you've described. It's basically the Achilles heal of these cars if not fully looked after and since we haven't owned them from early on there's not a lot we can do. 

Mine though has improved gradually and depending how i drive it the gear changes aren't noticeable. But other times theres the over revving and jolts esp when cold. Which is forgiving with age. 

Persevere with the changes and as Stu has mentioned throughout this forum to us all it's generally after the 3rd change you get more of a feel for the difference. Basically down to the volume of oil changed. Not recommended on here when asked i dropped some lucas anti slip/leak into mine, i figured i had nothing to lose since it was doing my head in and i think this has also helped. I'm on the carlube u also. So interested in how the better stuff makes a change.

Hahaha yep fairly gunky but not much metal flek in there which is good I think, the 2nd to 3rd gear change is worse when it's cold and tbh I've only used the kick down a few times and it does bang down a bit so I've refrained from that. 

3rd to 4th is nice and smooth tho as is 1st to 2nd so hopefully as you say I'll keep on with a few more changes for the carlube-u stuff and see how we go, I've got the oil to drop this week as even tho it's only done 11k since the last one which I know is over what it should be that was 2018 so defo due and I'll do the gearbox oil too. 

Do you think I'll be ok to stick with say 5k interval carlube stuff gearbox oil changes as the signature stuff is so expensive? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SteviesV6 said:

Does anyone know if the stereo that's in there would just swap for a more modern unit as its a face off one that's in currently? 

You can change your radio unit by any standard 1 din or 2 din size head unit. If you go 2 din you will just have to relocate your headlights buttons elsewhere. You'll also probably need an iso harness conversion and if going 2 din a metra kit or size fit facsia but those are sometimes included with the head unit but not always.

• Like 1

• Administrators
17 hours ago, SteviesV6 said:

Sorry mate I did mean to reply to this, ok so we did one 2.4l change 350 miles ago and the fluid is almost clean 🤔

A replacement gearbox or repair is a lot more expensive, like I said before I would have just put the more expensive fluid in first as ATF-U won't help apart from improving the colour.

1 hour ago, SteviesV6 said:

Do you think I'll be ok to stick with say 5k interval carlube stuff gearbox oil changes as the signature stuff is so expensive?

There are virtually no active additives in it which will help, just hydraulic oil by comparison.

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, KingK0ng said:

I've seen lots of reports of gearbox failures and being critisized. But like you pointed out i think it has more to do with not regular mainteance from the beginning rather than a design or quality issue.

This was basically Honda's first smooth-shifting transmission, as a result fluid quality was key, just like many other manufacturers of that era and beyond. The best shifting V6 trans I ever came across was one that was serviced every 30,000 miles from new and it had 140,000 on it when the gearbox went into another coupe. Which is still on the road today and it covered another 50,000 + since with zero issues.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, hughezee said:

A replacement gearbox or repair is a lot more expensive, like I said before I would have just put the more expensive fluid in first as ATF-U won't help apart from improving the colour

Ah bugger would I still have had to do multiple changes like you said to do with the ATF-U fluid? 

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, SteviesV6 said:

Ah bugger would I still have had to do multiple changes like you said to do with the ATF-U fluid?

I suggested it would ok assuming there weren't any niggles if so, not to expect any improvement from using ATF-U. So if you have any chance to see an improvement in shifting I would recommend the better quality fluid.👍

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 1:38 PM, KingK0ng said:

You can change your radio unit by any standard 1 din or 2 din size head unit. If you go 2 din you will just have to relocate your headlights buttons elsewhere. You'll also probably need an iso harness conversion and if going 2 din a metra kit or size fit facsia but those are sometimes included with the head unit but not always.

Ace cheers pal I'm on the hunt now 😁

Cheers for the gearbox and stereo info @hughezee as you say I should have just gone for the better stuff from the start but the price was quite high altho you can't put a price on quality.

So my next question is as I've already put 2.4l of the carplan atfu in and it's mixed with what ever was in there from factory can I know put the amsoil stuff in or would that be really bad? 

And finally I need some items please. Rear spoiler preferably in silver and some better wheels. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, SteviesV6 said:

So my next question is as I've already put 2.4l of the carplan atfu in and it's mixed with what ever was in there from factory can I know put the amsoil stuff in or would that be really bad? 

I would try a couple more resets on both the engine and transmission, from cold each time and let the car idle for a least 10 minutes and then go for a steady drive and let the car relearn things before I would do anything else.👌🏼

46 minutes ago, hughezee said:

I would try a couple more resets on both the engine and transmission, from cold each time and let the car idle for a least 10 minutes and then go for a steady drive and let the car relearn things before I would do anything else.👌🏼

How do i do the resets as I've managed to get into the ecu with the adapter I bought and the foxwell nt510 code reader? I found the option to reset the atm. 

Quick little update on my progress, I failed to get a pic underneath of the decat but I have noticed if the engine isn't fully warmed up and I give it more than half throttle setting off the engine light comes on but retstarting her or when I switch off and get in her again the light is gone, she doesn't feel any different with the light on just worried the shit out of me when it happened the first time. 

So who ever changed the oil filter in 2018 which weirdly was only 10k ago put the filter on so tight that it broke my claw removal tool but luckily it had loosened it enough to get it off thank god. Why do people do that it drives me mad but I got the change done and have also noticed that after removing the stereo/back up fuse that once warmed up alll the gear changes are bloody lovely 😁 I'm going to another partial drop tomorrow or Thursday then once I can afford it I'll get the amsoil stuff in.

Ok some technical stuff if you guys can please help. I've seen on some of the accords that are left in America that they have quad tail and brake lights. Is it a simple mod such as just drilling the holes and attaching another plug to the existing tail light wire or is it a bit more involved? 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, SteviesV6 said:

Ok some technical stuff if you guys can please help. I've seen on some of the accords that are left in America that they have quad tail and brake lights. Is it a simple mod such as just drilling the holes and attaching another plug to the existing tail light wire or is it a bit more involved? 

🤔 would it be possible for you to share a picture 🙃 just for reference (linked below) I have done a few twin fog light mods but it's best to re-wire them with a new relay etc. Some former members had issues in the electrical system after their DIY efforts, so a quad light setup would most definitely require some additional wiring and a relay etc even using low wattage LEDs. 🤐

On 4/13/2022 at 12:27 AM, hughezee said:

🤔 would it be possible for you to share a picture 🙃 just for reference (linked below) I have done a few twin fog light mods but it's best to re-wire them with a new relay etc. Some former members had issues in the electrical system after their DIY efforts, so a quad light setup would most definitely require some additional wiring and a relay etc even using low wattage LEDs. 🤐

Hi mate I'm going to try and do this thru summertime as I'll have to try and get the wires thru the factory wiring route. I think they look so much better with quad tails and brakes and of course twin fogs.