Subscriptions & Donations ×

Kelvins Former Coupe "PROJECT BALDRICK"

hughezee

• Site Subscriber’s
33 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Perhaps future trips to the Alsp could be finished by a trip to Stu and change the ATF to keep it running in tip-top condition?

That was the plan but covid and now a new van mean no more trips abroad for the coupe.

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

I collected Kelvin's coupe back in early April and it was destined for dismantling and replenishing stock. However, I have been having second thoughts ever since, as I always do.😆 Winter motoring, the club courtesy coupe for a short while and then sold on as a project maybe?

20190307_153844.jpg

Anyway, first things first replace all the bits I borrowed from it and try and get the transmission to calm down as it was very violent the last time it was at HQ.

Watch this space 🤞🙃

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 2

• The title was changed to Kelvins Former Coupe "PROJECT BALDRICK"
21 hours ago, hughezee said:

I collected Kelvin's coupe back in early April and it was destined for dismantling and replenishing stock. However, I have been having second thoughts ever since, as I always do.😆 Winter motoring, the club courtesy coupe for a short while and then sold on as a project maybe?

20190307_153844.jpgAnyway, first things first replace all the bits I borrowed from it and try and get the transmission to calm down as it was very violent the last time it was at HQ.

Watch this space 🤞🙃

How much space do you actually gave for "stock", Stu? I have plenty of stuff in stock (not just car related) and I am always under pressure from swmbo to reduce it.  😣

(I have to tell you that auto correct wanted to change swmbo into Rambo! 😂. How apt)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Well, it seems the clutch on the A.C compressor is seized now, screen washers not working and the fuel sender is stuck. ☹️

20220929_163706[1].jpg

So today re-fitted the alternator and bypassed the compressor with a shorter DAYCO 6PK1090 serpentine belt, running sweet and the second gear thump is starting to settle, just shuttling through the gears manually.🤞

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• The topic was pinned
  • Administrators

During final checks this morning the car decided that it wouldn't release the N.S rear caliper so stripped everything down and managed to get it free and everything now working as it should. Then I fitted new wipers and did a quick test and suddenly the wiper linkage broke, good used linkage fitted.😐

I have a bad feeling about today's MOT. 🤐

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

• Founding Member

I really hate it when this type of failure sequence occurs, I have had more than my fair share of them too....

Luckily you have a good range of serviceable spares to hand and do not have to go searching the world for them to effect repairs.... and wait & wait for them to arrive and find the wrong one was sent....

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I decided to set off early to get things warmed up and on route to MOT car started to rapidly slow down, so back to HQ this time the O.S rear caliper was binding and managed to free this one off as well FFS.😡

Surprisingly managed to get to the test centre on time and all was going well emissions PASS, front and rear brakes tested fine. Then the engine management light came on, heater circuit failure on bank 2 after checking. Then it all went tits up when the tester proceeded to lift the car on the jacking points then BANG, test aborted. 😮

I had checked everything prior and even after jacking the car up earlier, there was surface corrosion and it would need work at some point. However inspecting the damage, the jacking point had broken away from the sill so nothing was visible to suggest imminent failure.

The area will need extensive repair, it wasn't for the A.C issue or the extensive lacquer peel and the extra expense to get the car transported back to HQ. I probably would have fixed it, so If anybody needs parts let me know.

graffiti-rip-rest-in-peace-abbreviation-sprayed-vector-27113565.jpg

THE END 😔

• Sad 5

• Moderators

oh no ! 

Disaster......after all the work too.

I have only ever had one car let go like that for exactly the same reason, internal corrosion....the fact that was a Nissan Micra didn't make it any less painful 😭

• Like 3

• Founding Member

What an absolute nightmare disaster.  My heart bleeds for you after all that effort.... and being so near to getting it back on the road again.

Still, not that it is much consolation, it is better that it died in your hands and not the week after you had sold it when you would have had to face an angry purchaser and suffer the fallout from that scenario.

I feel sure that the spare parts will come in....  will have a think to see what I would like in my own spares kit (but not so flush at present after the unexpected heavy spending fixing my Merc last week). Perhaps we can discuss this next Saturday at the meet (assuming it is still on and that you have not become a suicide case after this mega disappointment....)

• Like 4

• Moderators

I feel your pain Stu, similar to what happened to my Sterling although that was down to incompetence of the last person to weld it.

However, you'd gone to such lengths to make sure everything was ok, repeatedly fixing last minute problems, almost as if they were trying to tell you something.

Hopefully this car can live on in others and not be a complete and utter loss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1