Subscriptions & Donations ×

Not Starting No Start 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

Fired engine up coming out and it fired, revved, died. Odd. Tried again, fired, revved to just over tickover again and dies. Third start with a bit of throttle and settled to tickover straightaway. Next few starts today back to normal. Confused of Hampshire .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Have you replaced the relay yet fella,  if not I would suggest swap that with the one I sent you?

Damn. Forgot about that. Sorry. So does that relay not stop the engine turning over or would symptoms described be a result? I will get to do that relay. Sorry again for forgetting and taking the p of your generosity 

• Like 1

• Administrators

its the main fuel system relay, so it will crank and any residual fuel or vapour will allow the engine to start then struggle and die, so fuel relay would be the first checkpoint. However, if it runs and idles just fine and inconsistently cuts out like turning off the engine I would suspect the ignition switch. Should replacing the relay or jiggling the key when the engine is running have no effect and the revs still slowly roll off until it cuts out worth checking the connection to the fuel tank, there's a hatch in the boot three philips screws and give the plug a tap and try starting it again if all is well then I would suggest unplugging the connector and give the plug and socket a dose of contact cleaner.  

A couple of pictures in the topic linked below that Rob took when I was servicing his fuel system recently and one shows the hatch, hope that helps 👍

• Like 2

18 hours ago, hughezee said:

Have you replaced the relay yet fella,  if not I would suggest swap that with the one I sent you?

and so after contorting my short and fat body into a position to be able to remove the relay bracket as the relay wouldn't pop off, I found it to be the Mitsuba relay so I put that one back.

If my reading serves me right, that was the right thing to do?

• Like 3

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Lumpy said:

If my reading serves me right, that was the right thing to do? 

Yup that's correct, if you have the newer larger relay then it should be fine, so I would move onto the other things suggested.  👍

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Lumpy said:

as the relay wouldn't pop off, I found it to be the Mitsuba relay so I put that one back.

Had this problem too, eventually i worked out the way to get it off and so when i put it back i didn't push it fully home onto the bracket..so its  easy to get off now...as it turned out it came off twice more for soldering repairs, I eventually invested in a new relay...no probs since.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Oddity Today, Honda V6 Engine Keeps Cutting Out
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My CG4 has always* been an excellent starter in all weathers, until recently.  In the last 2 weeks, there have been several instances of difficult starting from cold and slightly rough running while cold.  

(* except if it was stopped very soon after starting - the next attempt might be difficult).  

Normal behaviour is that the car fires immediately after turning the key.  Regular as clockwork, no problem at all.  In fact, it's so reliable, that I probably release the key before it fires and then it just fires as the key is released!  😁

Anyway, the recent experiences are as follows.  After releasing the key in the morning, the engine doesn't fire, or only just catches.  I've had to turn the key for the second time several times - or hold the key over for a little longer - to get it to start.  Sometimes on this second attempt the engine starts normally, and on a couple of times it has spluttered and refused to run properly for 5 - 10 seconds - think it may have flooded.  One additional characteristic to note:  the crossroads in my village is about a quarter of a mile from my house.  I normally crawl to the give way line in 2nd gear, then pull away if the road is clear.  A couple of times, it has spluttered as I pulled away in 2nd gear. 

Aside from what I have described, it is running fine.  Even cold starts after work have been without problem, though the car is parked indoors at work.  

My instinct is to think about the ignition.  I have not inspected the plugs or the inside of the dizzy cap for years, so will do so at the weekend.  I have even ordered a set of new plugs as contingency!  😮

There's no visible damage on the HT leads, and I have given them a liberal spray with water dispersant last night - though I won't be using the car again until tomorrow.  

Is there anything else that might cause this behaviour?  Thinking about the spluttering at low revs when cold - could it be a temperature sensor or MAF sensor issue that's causing the mixture to be wrong?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, welland99 said:

My instinct is to think about the ignition.  I have not inspected the plugs or the inside of the dizzy cap for years, so will do so at the weekend.  I have even ordered a set of new plugs as contingency!  😮

I think your instinct could well be spot on IMO 👍

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

My first instinct is condensation in the fuel. Wait until it gets down to about 1/4 tank or just a little less then add :

https://www.toolstation.com/methylated-spirit/p99550

to the fuel tank. Drive it for a normal journey and see how it goes. If it is condensation then you should notice a bit of improvement on the next cold start. If it isn't, it eliminates something often overlooked on poor starting/running until warm. Next gut feeling would be the Main Relay but the symptoms don't quite fit the normal pattern for that.

• The title was changed to Where is the Fuel Filter Accord Coupe 3.0 V6
  • The topic was pinned