Subscriptions & Donations ×

Not Starting No Start 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

hughezee

• Moderators

Update

Got my son, who lives in the States, to start looking for one, loads of them over there, obviously, but the shipping and import taxes to the UK are horrendous.

Will check the local Honda dealers, none on ebay or the like, and Lings want 68 quid plus vat and shipping presumably...

Just wonder if its worth getting a few brought over as my son is visiting in May.:blink:

• Like 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Will check the local Honda dealers, none on ebay or the like,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-fuel-pump-main-relay-for-HONDA-CIVIC-CRX-III-1992-1998-RZ-0132/222560897824

Pretty sure that's the same animal Pete, allegedly new but comes eating oranges and onions! :lol:

Also :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Honda-Prelude-4th-Gen-1992-1996-Fuel-Main-Relay-PZ-0139/192490521291

Secondhand but a reasonable price.

Any help?

• Moderators

Thanks Dave, think it only serves to confuse me now ! Not difficult I know :rolleyes:

I can't believe that all these relays are the same, not just the ones you show but others I have been tracking too... what's the point of a manufacturer producing the same relay, and they look the same, and giving them different codes???:(:o unless they are different inside.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good points there Pete, i know i've fitted later relays to earlier cars and early relays to later cars and not only is the pinout/diagram the same on each relay but they have worked as Mr Honda (the original one in Japan, not Stu lol) intended.

Volvo are another good one for changing part numbers on identical parts, BL were probably the worst, my favourite example is the cooling fan switch seal, mounted in the radiators of Minis, 800s and Jags (XJ40 i believe but haven't delved further)

The same seal is produced in 3 different colours (black for the 800s) and given 3 different part numbers (Mini, Rover and Jag) and three different prices :

£5 - Mini

£6 - 800

£16 - Jag

That's right, they put a £10 "premium" on the Jag part for the name!!! :o

Bottom line is as long as the pinout /diagram on the relay is the same and the plug receptacle on the relay is the same, it should fit and should work. Stu can probably give more info including part numbers on the cross-compatibility of them.

Out of interest, when you repaired your relay in the past, did you completely desolder each joint before resoldering it? If not, try that, working one joint at a time and shifting round the board to prevent heat build up in a particular area. ;):D

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Update

Got my son, who lives in the States, to start looking for one, loads of them over there, obviously, but the shipping and import taxes to the UK are horrendous.

Will check the local Honda dealers, none on ebay or the like, and Lings want 68 quid plus vat and shipping presumably...

Just wonder if its worth getting a few brought over as my son is visiting in May.:blink:

Have you tried Hendy - I paid £60 incl VAT....  https://www.hendy.co.uk/news/hendy-parts-centre-moves-to-segensworth-as-online-sales-continue-to-grow/ 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mangoman said:

Never been able to find anything in hendy...search is rubbish..just tried by part number, part description and part code and got nothing.. :(

Have to call them when I get chance, thanks .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Never been able to find anything in hendy...search is rubbish..just tried by part number, part description and part code and got nothing.. :(

Have to call them when I get chance, thanks .

Yes Pete.

It is not a 'Stock Item' - they had to order it for me. I just called them on: 01489 560751 (Simon ?). Took a couple of days.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Mangoman said:

Yes Pete.

It is not a 'Stock Item' - they had to order it for me. I just called them on: 01489 560751 (Simon ?). Took a couple of days.

ah, right, that explains it !! thanks , Bill :D

• Like 1

• Moderators

In the meantime I have soldered up the SAME terminal, yet again, in the relay.

Car started first time, it seems as if the solder / terminal is corroding slightly.... definitely going to get a new one and put this one in the glovebox :lol: just in case !

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

In the meantime I have soldered up the SAME terminal, yet again,

That's why i asked if you had completely desoldered each terminal in the first place Pete. Also did you use any flux or just what was in the solder?

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

That's why i asked if you had completely desoldered each terminal in the first place Pete. Also did you use any flux or just what was in the solder?

No  haven't desoldered each terminal, there is no requirement, I know which one is the problem.

Yes, used additional flux too, had a proper go at it today, sucked and fluxed (ooh err :blink: )  so maybe sorted but I wouldn't trust it long term.

Wondering if it is vibration on the mounting bracket that is causing the problem but why only one terminal....

• Like 1

• Moderators

When i said each terminal Pete, i meant each terminal that is a problem. Not each and every terminal on the board - easy mistake to make given how i phrased it!

The repair you did today, sucked the old solder off (definite oooo-errrrrr!!!), fluxed it it and then resoldered should sort it once and for all as long as you've used leaded solder.

There is enough resilience in the case and bracket to cope with vibration unless you have a serious misfire so i'd say it was a trace of the old, unleaded solder the EU forced us to use!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

There is enough resilience in the case and bracket to cope with vibration unless you have a serious misfire so i'd say it was a trace of the old, unleaded solder the EU forced us to use!

Wondered about the solder, used electrical connections type solder today rather than my standard solder, both are leaded by the way.

No misfires but did notice a lot of main relays have a "screw bracket" attached to main body of the relay. This obviously gives a better springing effect than direct onto metal bracket attached to the car as we have. Anyway who knows, if the repair lasts longer than the last time , four months, then I will be happy :P

• Like 1

The way I look at is £60 of petrol in the tank lasts what, 10 days...??? £60 on a new Relay lasts more than likely longer than you'll have the car, or before the gearbox says, "Hello"!

You need both to get you where you're going..... 

Not to mention that everytime you get into the car to start it - they'll always be that nagging doubt. "Will it start"? :(

• Moderators
On 31/03/2018 at 11:14 AM, Mangoman said:

The way I look at is £60 of petrol in the tank lasts what, 10 days...??? £60 on a new Relay lasts more than likely longer than you'll have the car, or before the gearbox says, "Hello"!

You need both to get you where you're going..... 

Not to mention that everytime you get into the car to start it - they'll always be that nagging doubt. "Will it start"? :(

Ha ha :D good point!

We often bleat at the cost of not just parts for our cars, but anything we buy and yet we chuck vast amounts of money into fuel that we just burn off :rolleyes: yet the tangible things we buy with the same amount of money we can have for years :lol:

Sometimes I find myself justifying buying an item using man maths and yet a fuel station visit raises no such spectre, just roll up, fill up,tear off, burn it off :rolleyes::P

• Like 1

• Moderators

I get what Bill is saying but to me there's something deeply wrong about paying £60 for a relay. Granted if you break it down into components, it's two relays and a few diodes and maybe a couple of resistors but there's nothing inherently expensive, complicated or whatever. In fact, i daresay it could probably be done with fewer components and/or solid state components - in fact that's almost a challenge to create one!

As for the cost of fuel, i've recently been helping someone on the Rover forum who is in the USA sort a problem and he complained about the "price of gas hovering around $3 a gallon". I'd just put some fuel in that day at 137.9p/L which works out about £6.06 a gallon. This is nearly $9 a gallon! That's without the fact a US gallon is only about 0.8 of a UK gallon, factor that in and the price in the USA for a UK gallon would be about $3.75 but either way, it's about a third of the price over there.

I wonder if we would be more complacent in our use of cars in general if we were getting fuel for £2.67 a gallon?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators
13 hours ago, hughezee said:

Goodman Pete, now get it fitted ?

Yep, excellent should be a ten minute job..... enough time to open car up, whizz old one, new one and test it...........

15 seconds walking to the car and unlocking it.

30 seconds thinking about how to get down and which way up to crawl under steering column, 

2 minutes manoeuvring into position,

30 seconds to extract old relay,

15 seconds fumbling for new relay only to remember its on the bench,

2 minutes getting out again having forgotten to take the new one down with me,

2 minutes back into position,

30 seconds to install,

2 minutes out again.,........

And 10 minutes straightening all the joints out to be able to stand up properly and not doing the gorilla walk   ? 

Ok, so, twenty minutes then,...........?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2