Subscriptions & Donations ×

1989 Honda/Acura MK1 Legend Coupe 2.7 V6

hughezee

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The thing often forgotten about the original Legends and also the sister car, the Rover 825/827 (not the 825 with the KV6 engine that came a decade later) is they created a new class of luxury car.

For Rover, it was a FWD executive saloon with higher levels of both component and build quality than before, for HOnda it was access to a bigger car than they'd built before and what customers of that car would want. There were of course other factors but those were the basics.

Because Honda still weren't sure they were doing the right thing with a new luxury executive model, they gave it a new identity in the USA - the market they wanted to create a luxury prescence in. This was Acura. It created a new class of car, a brand set aside from the mainstream as a range of flagship models.

Toyota saw this and took big (and very rapid) steps to create their own niche brand - Lexus which is now well known. When i looked into the story of how the LS400 (the first Lexus) was created, it seemed to be a JDM model modified and improved to give the USA market what it desired. From what i managed to glean, the LS400 was developed from the Toyota Soarer SC400, a large, luxury coupe with a 4.0 V8 and from this, a large, Luxury Saloon (LS) was created, the LS400 - this was in response to the Honda/Rover alliance that created, from the ground up as a totally new car, the 825/7 and Legend vehicles.

To me, that puts them in a class of their own which they always led, at least until the interefence of BMW and all that happend from then onwards. These are just my opinions from my findings when i researched it all and i coudl easily be accused of being biased but i think the facts bear out my bias - please do your own research to satisfy yourself of the origins but the Anchorage Agreement in 1981 for Rover and Honda started some very great cars and with HOndas new Acura brand, a new level of luxury cars, set apart from the others made by the parent company. ;):D

• Like 2

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

I am interested if you are looking to get it to a good home.

I actually sold F522GGC to Roger B around 11 years ago. Delighted it is still around (hate to see such a beautiful car like this scrapped) and in good shape.

Have some photos from my ownership. Just need work out how to upload to this forum.

I had a lot of work done on it at Newton Honda, hence the newer plate. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

Thanks for the account upgrade to add photos @hughezee

Just a couple of my pics of the Legend from back in 2011 when I had the privilege of owning this beauty.

Watch this space, shall add more soon.

IMG_1371.jpeg

IMG_1366.jpeg

• Like 4

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Jan_N said:

Just a couple of my pics of the Legend from back in 2011 when I had the privilege of owning this beauty.

Watch this space, shall add more soon.

Looking forward to seeing this motor be cherished and cared for once again. 😁

• Like 5

• The title was changed to 1989 Honda/Acura MK1 Legend Coupe 2.7 V6
  • Site Subscriber’s

Thank you, @hughezee.  Whether it’s the true home or not, I have loved the Mk1 Legend Coupe ever since it was launched in 1987 and I sat in a similar blue one at the ‘87 Motorshow at the NEC. 

Funds, time and the Mrs permitting I’ll try to get this back on the road and looking as close to original as possible. 🤞

Watch this space for updates. 

• Like 4
  • Clap Hands 2

• Site Subscriber’s

The Legend has arrived safely.

Glad the heavens didn’t open as showers were predicted where I am.

Thanks again @hughezee.

Now the hard work starts…

IMG_1595.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jan_N said:

The Legend has arrived safely.

Glad the heavens didn’t open as showers were predicted where I am.

Thanks again @hughezee.

Now the hard work starts…

IMG_1595.jpeg

I had the Rover 827 in both Sterling (saloon) and Coupe form, both 2.7 obviously. Fantastic cars, always fancied an early Legend Coupe but no room etc etc to do what you're doing.

Good luck with it all! ;) :D

• Like 5

• Site Subscriber’s

Very glad to see it's gone off to a good home 🙂  Enjoy mate and keep the pictures coming of the work and the trips!

• Like 4

• Site Subscriber’s

@PTR200S I would love to have driven the Mk2 coupe. Though I think the lines on the mk 1 look better (my personal preference) the engine in the mk2 had the right amount of power for a car of that size and and weight which I feel is not the case with the mk1.

@Laird_Scooby The 827i Sterling Saloon and the Coupe are seriously luxurious motors and Rover always knew how to make you feel special inside. My dad used to own a Rover 213 Vanden Plas in the mid 80's when the Rover-Honda partnership kicked off. Rover made wonderful interiors with the tastefully appointed wood veneer and leather matched to the brilliant Honda engine and gearbox made these seriously good motors.

@Josh98 I will add some pics as things progress with the Blue Legend Coupe. 

In the mean time here are some from the time when I owned F550NPJ, which I then sold to Roger 10 years ago due to a young family and loss of dry strorage.

P1040592.thumb.JPG.f0b1cde4aecb16530d2d12a38a20ddcc.JPGP1040606.thumb.JPG.e4d1ceaacab865132d0d12c1283288c9.JPGP1040634.thumb.JPG.69a2886b787e30ad0a032ef87c2164fc.JPG

P1040598.JPG

P1040595.JPG

P1040607.JPG

• Like 3