Subscriptions & Donations ×

1989 Honda/Acura MK1 Legend Coupe 2.7 V6

hughezee

• Administrators

The new motor has arrived and in need of a little TLC and an engine misfire to track down, although think it's just an HT lead, everything else works...

69875088-535434583931293-351685453490946

Already started to feed the leather seats and more updates & pictures to follow soon...

• Like 5
  • Clap Hands 1

• Administrators

Thanks for all the positive responses, managed to swap all the HT leads, spares from an Accord Coupe V6 fitted better than the originals in the holes, although two slightly too short and the misfire persists 🤔 oh well rules out a simple fix unless a lead is in the wrong place 😑

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hughezee said:

managed to swap all the HT leads, spares from an Accord Coupe V6 fitted better than the originals in the holes, although two slightly too short and the misfire persists 🤔 oh well rules out a simple fix unless a lead is in the wrong place 😑

What's the history on it Stu? As in recently - has it had a "period of inactivity"? If so, meths in the fuel tank, check the dizzy cap connectors not only whre the HT leads pug in but also the segments inside, earth on the ignitor, injector cleaner (or an eggcup of ATF) in the fuel tank, check plugs/gaps and also the two large multiplugs on the R/H suspension tower, assuming it has them.

Are there any fault codes flashing up on the ECU at all? Save you bending and contoroting yourself, use a spare door mirror or your phone on video setting to have a look.

Then of course there's a drop of ATF in with the engine oil to free off any lazy tappets that might not be noisy but bleeding down due to not getting full pressure because they're dirty.

Not trying to "teach my granny about eggs" as i'm sure you know, just little reminders as trying to think a problem through when you're in pain isn't easy. ;):D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Not trying to "teach my granny about eggs" as i'm sure you know, just little reminders as trying to think a problem through when you're in pain isn't easy. ;):D

I appreciate the suggestions from our resident C series expert, so I will go through all your suggestions buddy it was running sweet when parked up and has sat for a little while and developed the misfire so back to basics then a new timing belt water pump will be fitted...

• Like 3

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, hughezee said:

it was running sweet when parked up and has sat for a little while and developed the misfire so back to basics

You're welcome Stu, could be as simple as a bit of condensation inside the dizzy cap, given the hot weather recently entirely possible! I'm sure it's something simple and you'll suss it out. 👍

• Like 2

• Administrators

Dizzy was very crusty but all cleaned and need to find a replacement though, but the misfire persisted however I couldn't smell fuel so was thinking blocked injector(s) and then my gorgeous assistant Nikki found the problem. 😍

RODENT DAMAGE 😫

69575745-1304912883019739-40220981967999

Photo Credit Nikki

Already stripped everything out and I will sit resting with soldering iron and replace all the damaged wires and report back soon...

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1
  • grrrr 1

• Moderators

Don't get too involved in sodlering Stu, i think i have a replacement loom! Got a couple of spare inlet manifolds, one of which has the wiring still on it. I'll double check as i know one of them was converted to LPG (using a mixer, not injection) and i might be mistaking the wiring for the LPG side of things.

I hate those meeces to pieces! ;):D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

A little over 110k, engine & box are sweet and recent exhaust, well worth spending some money on IMO. The leather interior just needs feeding for a few months before dying it, bodywork is very good 3 minor rust areas which will cut out and get fresh metal welded in but nothing major needed.

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

This might be helpful Stu :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8v8oi9bqH3ZQXBpY2NRMVdyaFk

Scroll down and there are some Legend specific Honda manuals including the Coupe, may be a little too late for your wee beastie but should hold some relevant info, also lots of stuff there on the early 827 which is very similar mechanically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Founding Member

I was at Cholmondeley Festival of 1000 classics today and met the Legend guy that sold Stu the car!  Seems he has a good few more and some Coupes too.  He was in another superb red Legend.....

• Like 3
  • Clap Hands 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PaulS said:

was at Cholmondeley Festival of 1000 classics today and met the Legend guy that sold Stu the car!

Yeah Roger is a great bloke and has an ever-growing collection of cracking Hondas and FYI he gave me the car, he wanted it to go to a good home...

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member
On 9/1/2019 at 8:40 PM, hughezee said:

Yeah Roger is a great bloke and has an ever-growing collection of cracking Hondas and FYI he gave me the car, he wanted it to go to a good home...

Mate, that is a touch and a half.....a free Legend Mark 1 Coupe!!! 

Gorgeous colour combo! Looking forward to meeting her one day. 

Picking up my friends Mk 1 Coupe from Northampton in the next couple of weeks. Another stunning example 

• Like 4