Subscriptions & Donations ×

Wet Carpet/ Water in Footwell Accord Coupe

PaulS

On 22/12/2017 at 12:08 PM, PaulS said:

I had problems like that in the front footwell from shrunken sunroof drains....  Not sure if there are rear drains too, but worth seeing if either of the front footwells are wet too...

Checked today and all other footwells are dry and the boot too.  (Even my petrol spillage in the boot is now dry). 

• Like 2

On 22/12/2017 at 9:15 AM, PTR200S said:

Any chance its coming from the boot area?

We do have "leaky" boot seals apparently :(

Once the boot well has filled up it spills over inside...heavy braking doesn't help !!!

Had this before on a car but it had a shallow boot and a high boot floor so didn't see it until i got wet carpets in back :rolleyes:

Worth a check maybe?

Gosh, think There would have to be a few gallons sloshing around the boot for it to overflow forwards as you suggested?! Anyway, I did check and the boot is dry.  ;)

As far as I'm aware, the only time water gets in my boot is when it is open, and water drips off the tips.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, welland99 said:

Gosh, think There would have to be a few gallons sloshing around the boot for it to overflow forwards as you suggested?! Anyway, I did check and the boot is dry.  ;)

:lol: yep, had a Honda jazz with leaky boot, well actually its the tailights seals that leak (known prob) that had nearly a gallon in it !!!!

Good news on the dry boot though :D

The next place to look is the lower door seals, do you jet wash the car by any chance?  Older cars/seals can let water through if the jetwash lance gets into the door pillar gap.

After that its underneath to poke around the backs of the rear sills for corrosion holes or even if the sill bung is missing..mind you a missing sill bung really shouldn't allow water in via the inner sill but who knows ,.......a full investigation under the back is needed :wacko:

• Like 3

• Moderators

If the car was parked facing uphill, even very slightly, the front sunroof drain will cause water to pool in the rear footwell if it's leaking. Imagine a flat baking tray with a slight lip all round, put a pencil under one end to raise one end very slightly then pour a jug of water on the "high" end. You'll see it run to the back. Sounds obvious but it's often overlooked when tracing water leaks. Thing is, if the drain is leaking, the water will run straight to the back, under the carpet and soundproofing. It then makes the carpet wet without ever having touched the front carpet. :o

IMG_20171107_144438327.jpg

Well worth checking the front sunroof drains, they block in the ends where they can't be seen (unless you remove the wheel and wheelarch liner) then leak from the join inside the footwell behind the kick panel. The pointy end in that pic is the end that goes into the wheelarch, the plastic stepped tubing adaptor is something i found on ebay that will fit to reconnect the drain hose to the drain elbow (valve in official speak). i'll try to find the link for it later but it's in another thread. It's a 14 x 10mm nylon reducer if you fancy searching yourself, a pair is only about £3 posted. ;):D

• 4 months later...

Happily, I can report that all footwells have remained dry, so the cause of the wet rear footwell cannot be proven.  

Unfortunately, however, i have discovered another leak, which seems worse.  

A couple of weekends ago, i discovered a lot of water in the spare wheel well (now I know why it's called a well!?).  in fact, it was over 1.5" deep!

I have since dried everything out, and turned attention to trying to find the water source.  Initial investigations reveal that water is coming down the rear edge of the rear wheel arches.  I suspect that the source may be the corners of the back window.  

Has anybody  else experienced a leak inthis area of the boot?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

It's amazing how many cars collect a sizable quantity of water in the boot "pond" area ?

This is what I was mentioning about further up the thread in the case of the Jazz.... and I can report that BOTH Jazz have the problem :rolleyes: 

As I said it comes through the light seals but I have seen water collect around the rear wheel arch wells in other cars that has come from a seam that has separated towards the rear of the rear arch... the place where most cars, particularly Honda rot through... seems (no pun !) as if the corrosion forces the panel join apart and lets water in off the back of the arch.

• Like 2

• Moderators

It's not a pond, it's a designer water-feature! ?

Joking aside, having run mainly saloons and coupés throughout my driving life, i've noticed a pattern. In the "trough" between the boot seal and the surrounding bodywork, there's usually an area where water collects and this tends to be near the front end nearest the rear screen.

As a result, where the lip the boot seal sits on joins the  horizontal part of the trough, they tend to rot through there. Often it's a very tiny hole and only just enough to let some water through but then you get the condensation effect where the moisture in the air drops out because the boot is damper and colder than the surrounding air.

Worth checking the boot seals as well, most will be about 20 years old now and while they look fine, they probably don't seal all that well any more!

I know when i replaced the boot seals on both my Sterling and Coupé, the boots started drying up immediately. ;):D

• Like 2

• Administrators
19 hours ago, welland99 said:

Has anybody  else experienced a leak inthis area of the boot?

Might be worth checking the topic linked below, as this is one of the most common causes for water getting in the boot?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hughezee said:

Might be worth checking the topic linked below, as this is one of the most common causes for water getting in the boot?

thanks Stu.  I'll continue my story on that thread as it seems more relevant to my present issue.  

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

Have you checked for water in boot spare wheel well too.??

Issues of water getting into the boot from side boot lid seals....if water is high enough in boot then it will transfer forward into rear foot well under braking ......

Have the same issue in the mk1 Jazz..... 

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I had the very same problem last year and as Stu says it was the sunroof drain. Mine was the front passener side, but first appeared as a wet rear footwell.But the front footwell was sodden under teh rubber mat.  I recant below what I needed to do to fix my problem, which might well be your problem too!

Its a pain to get at, but basically there is a joint in the pipes more or less by the passemger's left ankle where the drain coming down the A pillar goes through a right angle connector that goes through the bodywork .  It seems that the long rubber sunroof drain pipe going down the A pillar shrinks in length for some reason and becomes seperate from the dowmstream connector then conveniently sits to the right of the same connector forcing sunroof water into the footwell. 

Although it looks horrible, putting gaffer tape the whole way round over the sunroof seal area stops water getting in to the top of the drain whilst you sort out the connector problem.

I found that the easiest fix (and it is not that easy as there is a lot of fiddly dismantling of things areound the glovebox area and the electrics on the passenger side end of the glovebox)  was to buy a straight through connector (can't remember the size, but it was either a 12 x 12mm, a 12x 10mm or a 10x 10mm - think it was 12 x 10mm) and add this to the bottom of the long drain tube. so that this long tube is now long enough to reach and fit into the 90 degree joint at the bottom. I needed some long reach forceps to hold the joint out of teh recess in teh bodywork so that I could attach the new connector.

Allow yourself a good half day to fix this - and be careful to reassembel everything correctly as its easy to leave something undone (in my case a heater vent for teh passenger footwell) and if you do miss something its a fair bit of the same dismantling process to fix it!

Stuart posted pictures in an earlier thread about this problem so do have a search !  If I find it I will attach a link for you.

Good news is apart from he labour, it is a cheap and effective fix.  I was advised atthe time to check the other 3 sunroof drains from the other 3 corners too as one shrinking pipe is as old as the others - But it is another long process for each of those corners too . 

Good luck

Paul

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hughezee said:

Possible sunroof drain issue, then I would expect the passenger footwell would also be heavily sodden too, could you confirm that's dry?

That's dry. Will check again. Sunroof not been open for ages and seal looked good. Thought about sunroof drain but couldn't understand how in rear footwell.  Cheers to all.

• Like 3

I'll be checking now. Thought there was too much too quickly for drain so dismissed it originally. Chucking down in Cornwall and will check when I get home. Thanks for all the replies. Great forum this one. 400 miles yesterday at over 30mpg. Lots of narrow roads today and now in pitch black. Great car.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Any more news on sourcing / resolving the flooding issue ?

We're on a 3 day break in Cornwall so no progress. Car was in the sun with roof tilted but it's raining again. I'm assuming floor crossmember is not solid so that may account for rear footwell being underwater as car is parked nose up. Suns out again. I'll put a heater in her when home to dry her out then may force the issue to see where it gets wet from . 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 3/16/2019 at 6:46 AM, PaulS said:

can't remember the size, but it was either a 12 x 12mm, a 12x 10mm or a 10x 10mm - think it was 12 x 10mm)

It's 14 x10mm Paul. I've got them in all 4 of my sunroof drains now and a dry car once again!

On 3/16/2019 at 9:57 AM, Lumpy said:

Surprised it was so much in the back tho.

Lift the rear seat cushion up - if it's soaking under there then it's almost certainly your rear sunroof drains.

These are the connectors you'll need :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-14mm-10mm-Plastic-Barbed-Reducer-Adapter-Hose-Connector-Fuel-Pipe-Joiner/282710068065

s-l1600.jpg

On the thin end, you'll need to sand/grind most of the ribs off (just leave a little of each one) and then use Araldite or similar to glue them in the end of the narrow down hose from the sunroof. The other end (14mm) fits nice and tight in the "valve" as Honda call it - also worth checking the exit of said valve to make sure it's not blocked. ;):D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1