Subscriptions & Donations ×

Wet Carpet/ Water in Footwell Accord Coupe

PaulS

• Founding Member

Been away after leaving my Coupe outside and came back to find water on the rubber mat in the front passenger footwell and on looking further found the carpet underneath very wet too, along door edge worst.

I dried it all out with cloths and a dehumidifier then tried hosing it down for 15 mins or so from outside with all windows & doors shut and saw no sign of water ingress.

The following morning after heavy rain the passenger footwell was thoroughly wet again.  No sign of from where water is running down, door and window seals seem good enough to stop water being hosed at them...

Has anyone else suffered such problems?  Any suggested things to investigate further?

Cheers

Paul

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators

Sorry to hear about your water ingress Paul, there are a couple of seams within the wheel arch area and one or two comments in an area which can allow water to leak in when the car is driven through deepish water and can leak in heavy rain, not very common though. Therefore my first checkpoint would be the door seal and on a dry day cover the outer seal in silicon spray allow it to penetrate the rubber and wipe off any excess when the door is shut, this will repel water even if the seal is damaged.  Also, a customer reported a similar problem recently and it turned out to be the wire from the solar panel they had fitted and this allowed water to get it as the wire pinched the rubber and since you have a solar panel as well on the passenger side this might be worth investigating.

Keep us posted ;)

• Moderators

Check your sunroof drains in the passenger footwell, item #4 in the pretty picture :

B__3810.jpg

You'll have to remove the kick panel to the side of the A-pillar/inner wing and you should see the top end of the valve (item #4). If the Coupé is anything like the Rover 800 and i would think the Legends as well, this parts company with the main sunroof drain tube because they tend to block in the ends, which are usually visible from the wheelarch after removing the plastic liner and wheel.

Also the hose from the sunroof to the valve shrinks slightly, resulting in a shorter, smaller diameter hose and the glue between the hose and valve breaks so when it rains heavily, the water that gets past the sunroof seal is meant to drain all the way through to the tarmac gets diverted into the footwell.

It's loads of fun doing them, enjoy! ;):D

• Like 3

• Moderators

Hey y'all! Stu's got a broad Texan drawl in this one! Yeeeeee-haaaa! About 2:30 (give or take a few seconds, he finds exactly the bit i was on about.

Seriously thinking a more permanent measure would be a nylon/PVC hose connector/reducer, i think 12mm x 10mm would be about right but i'd have to measure to be sure. Give a little extra length (Oooo-errrr Geoff! :o ) on the hose to valve/elbow joint and has hose barbs on to grip both the hose and the elbow/valve, i'll look into it and report back as and when. ;):D

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Well I found the problem:  Sunroof drain tube has come detached from the outlet pipe and dribbles continuously (when raining) into the passenger footwell.  I found that a length of bright green strimmer cord helps when fed up from the drain outlet.  When it does not come out of the top, it comes out elsewhere and bright green is easier to find than most other colours.....especially when well behind all the goddies tucked behind the dash....

But now I have found the problem, I now need to get at it do do what would otherwise be an easy fix.... The LH fuse box and the heater are in the way.  Not convinced glove box removal will help...

More ideas welcome....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• Founding Member

Think the issue is solved now.  The pipe from the top down to the drain tube outlet had shrunk and come off the adapter.  No need to take off glovebox, just the fuse cover, bottom cover, then undo all the wire connectors to the fuse box.  Being too short now it will never go back so I decided to lengthen it.

Long forceps allows one top pull the top tube far enough out to get a tube adaptor in, and a further length of similar sized tubing that just fits into the drain adaptor.  Then stuff the new tube down the drain, connect the other end of teh new tube to the new adaptor in the old pipe and it all drains nicely.  No doubt in time it could block being a bit narrower in parts than before, but cleaning it out will be easy with an air hose from below....

Still drying it all out - so fart the dehumidifier has pulled 3.5 litres from inside the car...,.  For now the car remains under cover until it is dried out, otherwise I will forget.  I will check it all again once dried on a rainy day  - before I fasten all the carpets back.

Now if anyone else runs into the same problem, I can help.....

• Like 3

• Moderators

Good news! Don't suppose you measured the diameter of the hose from the roof did you? My memory cell says 12mm but it's a while since i measured one.

Strimmer line is also good for keeping the hoses/drains clear, especially the thicker stuff, 2.4mm or thereabouts. ;):D

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Thanks Dave.  It was your spot on suggestion that proved correct.  The guy in the video was great but 45mins including taking off teh wing , wheel and liner and putting it all back????  It took me more like 4-5 hrs today alone (plus more yesterday, and yet more on a couple of other days....and I did not take off the wing, but yes I could do it quicker next time. 

But no I did not measure it as I couldn't relly get that close.  But it would not be far out to say 12mm as it was towards the fat end of my stepped adaptor

• Like 3

• Moderators

You're welcome Paul, you'll probably hate me for suggesting this but in my experience if one has popped out, it's worth checking the other side is secure.

Thinking about it, i have a couple of spare 800 sunroofs in the garage, one saloon/hatch, the other Coupé complete with the hoses that feed down to the elbow/valves so i can measure the end of those hoses without having to strip the car down just to find out!

Something to do later if i remember! ;):D

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Oh why oh why did they not simply use longer hoses that went all the way through??? That way there would be no chance of anything shrinking or falling off.... 

When I rebuilt my Mitsubishi (using a sunroof from a Rover 214) I fitted hoses that went all the way down the A pillars and stick out behind he mudflaps a little so that I could use the air line to blow out any obstrctions in the future

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Founding Member

Oh, and the Coupe is still drying out, another - 5.5 litres of water so far so it must have been leaking for a while....Carpets and bulkhead foam / soundproofing folded back held up by bits of paving slab....

• Confused 3

• Moderators

While having a sort-out yesterday, snuggled up inside one of my drawers was one of the elbows/valves that pass from inside the cabin through the inner wing to the outside world. It was one i rescued from the gold 825 i broke sometime back that donated its front bumper and bonnet to my Coupé.

Anyway - i digress! The internal diameter of the elbow where it joins the sunroof drain hose is 14mm so the OD of the sunroof drain hose is going to be 14mm with the ID something like 12mm but i need to check. Hopefully when the Volvo doors (not mine!) are removed from my garage tomorrow and subsequently the sofa and armchair, i'll once again be able to get at the sunroof assemblies that are buried in the far corner.

Then i can measure the bore of the sunroof drain hose as well. ;):D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Still haven't been able to get in the garage despite those doors winging their way to Essex but i did find these online :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-14mm-12mmplastic-Hose-Pipe-Tube-Connector-Reducer-Joiner-Connect-Silicon/362142275496?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

Bought a pair as i'm almost certain (without measuring) they'll be right, when they arrive and i get the time, i'll give one of them a try in my Coupé as the drivers side sunroof drain is still leaking! :angry:

As the existing arrangement is that the drain hose from the roof goes about 1/2" into the elbow these joiners straightaway give that half inch back to both the hose and the elbow so that's an extra inch of movement available. Also the fact they're barbed on the ends means they're less likely to fall out, leak or do anything else undesirable.

Fingers crossed for a permanent solution! ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

In between whiles, i bought a pair of the 14 x 10mm reducers as well. Guess what - both sets arrived today at about 430 when it was way too dark to think about groping about in the garage. :rolleyes::angry:

If i get a chance tomorrow i'll have a look, if not it'll be sunday. ;):D

• Like 3

• Moderators

Finally got to check these connectors! Even took some photos, just for fun! This is the 14 x 10mm reducer :

IMG_20171107_144400319.jpg

Sat there with one of the valves/elbows and part-way inserted :

IMG_20171107_144416210.jpg

For comparison, how deep the elbow is for the joiner/reducer and how long the reducer is :

IMG_20171107_144438327.jpg

Could have been made for it in terms of length!

Now for the bit that matters almost as much!

IMG_20171107_162444432.jpg

The sunroof drain hose with the reducer a little way in. A 14 x 9mm reducer might be better but the 10mm works as you can see.

I'd get everything ready to fit the reducer then drive round for a while with the heater on hottest blowing to feet to get the drain hose as warm as possible then use a bit of lube, Vaseline, silicone grease or even a smear of washing up liquid on the reducer and shove it in to the drain hose while it's still warm from the heater.

The elbow is much more compliant so probably little or no need for a bit of lube on it, especially if it's still nice and warm from all the heat. Having just looked on the listings from the seller i got these from, i couldn't find a 14 x 9mm reducer, maybe they exist, maybe they don't but 9mm is an odd hose size anyway, usually 8mm or 10mm so i reckon the 14 x 10mm reducer with some lube would be the best bet.

For the cost of a few quid, you can banish soggy hoofs to the history books! ;):D

• 1 month later...

This afternoon I discovered quite a lot of water in the rear footwell behind the driver's seat in my coupe.  I've never seen this before.  :wacko:.  The kids claim that they have not spilt a bottle of water.......:o

At first glance the carpet looks damp in a couple of patches, but upon depressing it with a finger, water pools around my finger.    :huh:

Has anybody else had a problem like this? I've no idea where it could have come from: no other damp patches have been spotted (headlining looks all dry).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, welland99 said:

This afternoon I discovered quite a lot of water in the rear footwell behind the driver's seat in my coupe.  I've never seen this before.  :wacko:.  The kids claim that they have not spilt a bottle of water.......:o

At first glance the carpet looks damp in a couple of patches, but upon depressing it with a finger, water pools around my finger.    :huh:

Has anybody else had a problem like this? I've no idea where it could have come from: no other damp patches have been spotted (headlining looks all dry).

Are you sure it's water and not the kids taken short! :D

Any chance its coming from the boot area?

We do have "leaky" boot seals apparently :(

Once the boot well has filled up it spills over inside...heavy braking doesn't help !!!

Had this before on a car but it had a shallow boot and a high boot floor so didn't see it until i got wet carpets in back :rolleyes:

Worth a check maybe?

• Like 1